1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Chokes do you use in Trap games Buddies and A

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by heath, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heath

heath TS Member

Mar 11, 2006
    What Chokes do you use in Trap games Buddies and Annies?

Back up shot in these games, involves heavy high velocity handloads, shot past the 27 Yard line.

Due to the distance and lead needed to hit these targets – high velocity loads is the norm.
    However, this goes against the belief that high velocity loads blow your pattern.

Do you go to a tighter choke or will that hurt your pattern more?
  2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Extra full choke by Comp-n-Choke has worked very well for long range shooting. JM
  3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    I use an extra full choke at the 27 with the same wally federals that I shoot 16s with in the buddy shoots. Works fine just gotta learn to lead them a bit.
  4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

If I have a tubed gun, I generally use a IM Comp-N-Choke and 1 1/8oz of 6's going 1350fps or so for back-ups. I can break them as far as I can see them with both. I use my 'caps load for call birds until I get out past the 30yd line. And yes, my 'caps load is ATA legal 1 1/8oz of 7 1/2's or 8's going 1235fps.

Big shells all the time lead to bad flinches and sloppy shooting!

5. sharhope

sharhope Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I also shoot these events. I ran out of no 6 loads and bought some no 6 steel shot at Wal Mart. Anyone any experience shooting these at Annie Oakley shoots back fence shoots etc?
  6. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I do well with a WW 12 Heavy Handicap factory load in a .740 bbl .025 restriction. All the way to the parking lot.
    Be Well
  7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Jan 29, 1998
    Full Choke tube, 30 grs Longshot 1 1/8th oz #6s Windjammer Down Range Rio Prm
    " " " 32 grs Longshot 1 1/4 oz #6s Both in AA Grey Hull W SP-12 Wad

Above is for shoot offs
    Line backup: Rio Hull, Down Range Windjammer 1 1/4 oz #6s 26 Grs 800-X Rio Primer. Soft shooting about 1300Fps.

Gary Bryant
  8. Frye

Frye TS Member

Feb 20, 2008
    I don't change a thing. I belive shooting a "duck" load does no better in the parking lot than a 3 dram Estate. I shoot a full choke from the 16 yard line all the way back to the fire pits and I can shatter an Annie target a foot off
    the ground with a 1200FPS 7.5 shot. I believe it's the shooter, not the shell. My close friend does equally as well with fixed IM chokes in long yardage games. Don't beat yourself up with a heavy hunting load. It's really not needed.
  9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Nashville Tn
    Angleport XF choke, and my standard HCP load, 1 1/8 oz at 1250.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.