1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What chokes combo do you suggest for Skeet?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Aside from still wanting to shorten the stock, I got my new 687 basically to the point where I like everything. Installed a nice front bead that I took off my BT100, got some very nice extended Briley chokes, and took out the damn auto safety.

Now the question is which chokes to use for skeet? I have Cylinder, Skeet, and Improved Cylinder. Don't have a second skeet choke. I was thinking of using IC on the Outgoing targets and Skeet on the Incoming ones? Or should I choke down to Skeet on Outgoing and Cylinder on Incoming?

Thanks

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

IC should be fine, but play around with them and see what seems to work best for you.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Cylinder and skeet

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try a Skeet web site........

5. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Cylinder, Skeet.

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Hummm didn't think that everyone would suggest Cylinder....should I get a second Skeet choke or just stick to Cyl/Skeet 'cause it doesn't really matter.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Just put the lead in the target.. In 12 gauge.. the difference isn't enough to worry about.. If you're really concerned.. go to the pattern board.. You'll learn alot.. one way or another.. Maybe try different shells???? With the chokes you've listed..shells should make a larger difference in the pattern than the 3 chokes you mentioned.. I'd pattern at 16 yards..The range that you'll break most targets..give or take a yard or two..

8. jandbburch

jandbburch Member

vpr80,
    That is the reason that the set of chokes that you bought originally had two CYL chokes. When I shot skeet with my 682, that is what I used (CYL/CYL) I just used Angleport chokes at the time and the Brileys were a spare set. The SK choke was used when shooting doubles.The CYL/SK setup should work just fine for you.

Shoot Well! Jim B.

9. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

My Briley Invector Plus Cylinder choke throws a good enough pattern at 20 to 25 yards with 7/8 oz of 7 1/2 that I wouldn't be worried about a target slipping through. Go with Skeet and Cylinder, and don't worry which you use first.

~Michael

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Sounds good guys! Thanks for info....and thanks for chokes Jim!

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

vpr80

"Hummm didn't think that everyone would suggest Cylinder....should I get a second Skeet choke or just stick to Cyl/Skeet 'cause it doesn't really matter."

I would say that this is a perfect place for a line from a John Wayne movie "load six if your insides tells you to" If you feel more confident getting another Skeet choke then by all means do so.

Some one also said there is only .005 difference between the skeet and the cyl. This is true but there is also only .005 between the skeet and the Imp cyl. Cyl=.000 Skeet=.005 Imp Cyl=.010.

Bob Lawless

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

If you measure them sometimes skeet choke is as open as cylinder. If skeet was a little tighter, which it is supposed to be, I would use it for the outgoing shots on the doubles and use it for both shots on the middle 3 stations. Improved cylinder would be handicapping you a little on any station.

13. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Makes sense to me....I figured that the tighter choke would be better on the outgoing shots. I can't really measure the chokes, but given they are the same brand I'll just use the Cyl/Skeet combo which seems to be the best option.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Tighter will make you better.....

15. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I've had my best scores using Briley's Improved Skeet Choke. Dave T.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Go to the patterning board and shoot from a rest at 13 yards, you want to find out if all the chokes shoot straight. That is more important than pattern size. HMB

17. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I use cylinder and one ounce loads. Can't really tell any difference in breaks with skeet tubes though. I shoot some with full and they just dissapear in a black cloud. Fun.

18. Bridger

Bridger Member

I usually shoot skeet/skeet but recently bought a Caesar Guerini and have been using cylinder/skeet and getting hard breaks with the cylinder choke. I have a friend who regularly shoots his older sxs with tight chokes, M/F or even F/F and he can run a straight round with regularity.

19. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I like an IC. Sometimes I even shoot a light modified. It is kind of like using a full for singles. You can read your breaks better.

Jim Skeel

20. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I settled an arguement at the skeet field by removing the choke tubes from my Beretta (20 ga O/U). I ran them all and broke the targets as hard as if I was using tubes. I screwed my chokes back in and went about shooting.

Any choke restriction that close is overkill. Good barrel(s) produce a very nice pattern up close.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.