1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Chokes and why?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdsfarms, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

The most asked question I hear from new shooters is what choke to use for each event,a member at our club replied to one of them use a full because that real trapshooters use,not very useful information so I thought I would try to create an informative thread with some real insight so if you would tell what choke you use for singles,doubles and Handicap and explain why you made that choice,your average,class and yardage are optional.I'll start by saying that after having many trap guns if I could have found my current gun (DT-10) with fixed chokes I would have bought it that way,full in the single barrel,M/F in the O/U but it has tubes so I had to pick them my only advise to new shooters is pattern your gun.My singles ave.is 93 I use standard beretta flush IM because that is the tube that patterned best in my gun much more uniform than the Full and nearly as tight,I currently shoot 24yds(88 ave) and use the same tube for caps.My single barrel seems to prefer 7 1/2s so I use the same load for everything(1 1/16 oz 7 1/2 shot at 1200 fps).My doubles ave is 88 I use a briley extended LM for the first shot and an light 1 oz.of 8 shot I shoot the first target pretty fast and this choke still inks the first target,I use a briley LF for the second shot and an my previously mentioned 1 1/16 load.I also got the best pattern from these tubes and use the light load on the first shot because it's the what I load for my wife and I think it helps me keep my head on the gun for the second shot but if I had to load them special I would probably shoot the same shell for both shots.Jerry

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

The only way to know for certain is to pattern your gun. The correct choke is the one that gives you 85% patterns in a 30" circle at target distance. That maximizes your chances for a hit.

So a newbie who rides the target waaaay out there needs a tighter choke than someone who shoots more quickly.

If you are looking for a more general recommendation, shoot IM for singles and caps back to 22, F after that. Shoot LM and IM for doubles.

3. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

What chokes and why?

For a newby it's simple: full choke. He's just enjoying the trap game and the potentially missed very occasional target doesn't matter.

When a shooter gets worrying about winning money or glory, that is the time to worry about chokes and ammunition. As ZZT says, you have to pattern.

Here are a couple of articles that discuss choking:

http://www.shootingbunker.com/OpenItUp.html

http://www.shootingbunker.com/UpTightOnChoking.html

- - Bill

4. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

For what it is worth, I use a Briley Light Full for singles and 21 yard handicap. Don't have opportunity to practice doubles, so I don't shoot them at registered shoots. I have never patterned the LF, I use it because when I was trying different chokes at the practice range, the LF seemed to give me the best scores. Jack

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

WHY ? for the same reason you twist the nozzle on your garden hose!

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I was at a gun club yesterday and ran into two of Wisconsin's all time best shooters. We started talking about the same thing that this thread is about. Now years ago one of these shooters would only use a standard full chose barrel. Even the mention of using an open choke upset him. So I asked him what choke do you use for 16 yard? He said improved cylinder??? I almost fall out of my chair. This great shooter does not shoot tremendously fast, maybe little faster than average. He told me that improved cylinder today is not the same as years ago? He then was called out to shoot and I was not able to discuss it further. Isn't improved cylinder's constriction from years ago, the same as today?

I spoke to the other shooter and he shoots a 90T. Shoots a .28 choke tube for 16 yard, and he said the he shoots .42 for 27 yd handicap.

Steve Balistreri

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Geez how many threads on chokes. Don't you ever read the other threads. This must be the 4th or 5th one in last 2 weeks. Put the choke in your gun and go to the patterning board and see and shoot what works.

Don

8. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Big Don if you don't like the thread pass it by,I asked the FFA trapshooters who asked the question(and got the above mentioned response) to read this thread and use it as a learning experience I don't think your post will be helpful to them I would appreciate it if you would delete your comment,and no most of them have never been on the forum before.Jerry

9. releasebob

releasebob Member

WOW bigdon I seldom comment but I've been shooting almost half a century and that is pure geezer material there.BOB

10. atadams77

atadams77 Member

M all the way back to 22 or 24, then full to all the way to 27.

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Jerry if you would have taken the time to read the other threads you would have all your answers. Try the following threads.

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=243513&Messages=22
    http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=242999&Messages=85
    http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=243408&Messages=21

Once you get over your sensitivity training you will be OK. Now stop and think, you want your young shooters exposed to all the petty BS on this site along with all the bad advice given out, much by nonshooters. You are also telling me that no one where you shoot can take the time to explain the how and why of chokes and the effect they have on your shooting to your young shooters. If you let it be known where you are located I am sure that some experienced shooter would be more than happy to help you out.

Don't complicate the issue stay with M,IM and F. Try each one and see how it works per individual and their gun. This is not rocket science. Shoot and have fun.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.