1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What choke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hitmore, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hitmore

hitmore Member

In thousandths what are most using for choke? Or standard choke (mod,full)?

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I cannot remember if this is right, and I will be corrected if I am wrong. The 35 is full, 30 is improved mod and 25 is modified?? For best results you should pattern your gun with all the chokes and see which choke is doing what. For most people it is personal choice. Some people use a full choke on the 16 all the way back to the 27.
    Some use monified or improved modified on 16's and full on 27. Mid-yardage shooters might use improved modified. This may not work for you, but I use what ever choke makes nice ink blots at the 16 and use that same choke for all my shooting. You are going to get a lot answers on this one.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

You will hear more about what choke then you need to know and more . If you shoot trap for over ten years you will be shooting a full (.034) choke .

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Close Rick...

Modified=.020

then going up, generally...

Improved mod=.025
    Light Full= .030
    Full=.035
    x-Full=.040

going down

.o15=light modifiend
    .010= improved cylinder
    .005=skeet
    .000= cylinder.

or somewhere abouts...

Rick uses the same basically as I do for 16 @ handicaps...

Jim

5. Rick Barker

BigM-Perazzi

Thanks, I knew I would get corrected. I like the chokes that are stamped with letters or words instead of numbers. For some reason, I always got the numbers turned around. I was thinking .20 would be full and 35 as modified. Now with L-full and X-full and who knows what, it confuses me.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

well, the only number that really matters is the constriction that gets you the pattern density you want... like you said... smoke tells you your on em'

7. Rick Barker

Yep, getting hung on the details just causes more problems. The name of the game is to break them, best you can. It has taken me a long time to see improvement in my shooting, because I got hung up on details or things that were not really important. Do I have the right choke, shell, is my comb set right, glasses the right color, etc. etc. I wasn't having fun. Finally, I decided I was going to have fun....and my shooting has improved. I'm not a AA or 27 yarder, yet, but I don't care.

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I believe in the article shown at the link above. You should strive for a 75%-80% pattern in a 30" circle at the distance you break the target. I use IM for Singles and Full for Handicap.

9. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

I am using an IM (.024) in my beretta optima. I am not a back at the fence shooter but would shoot that choke if I was. I have ran 25 straight at 26 yards with it and the breaks were good.

Try differnt ones and judge by the breaks which one preforms best for you. That is the true test. Testing on paper is fine but keep in mind when you shoot a clay the gun is moving so the results will be different.

I have seen good sporting clays shooters break birds at 50+ yards with a light modified, go figure.

10. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

KF9VH is right – what may be stamped on a choke means nothing – esp if it is a factory choke – maybe right-on, maybe a choke or two tighter or looser???? – The best way is to shoot targets from the 16 and from your handicap yardage – or if you want to use just one choke shoot them from your handicap yardage. Use the choke, or chokes, that gives the breaks you want from your barrel/shell combination. If you have a fixed choke, you need to test too, and if it does not do what you want perhaps having a barrel-smith work on it might be in order.
    I use a 0.015 constriction custom choke from 16 yards and I will boil as much smoke as others with a full choke. For 25 yard handicap I use a 0.025 custom choke and get very hard breaks when I do my part.
    Some barrel/shell combinations just do better with some chokes than others – just have to shoot targets and see. Well, just my 2 cents.

11. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

PhDTrap has given good advice. I took an 18-month break from trap and am using the IM to get zoned back in. As soon as I get my sight picture back I plan on switching to a .015 for 16-23 yards. I did try the .015 at first and was crushing birds at 20 yards just not as consistent as I would like hence the IM for now.

12. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

better use a wide open one you want to cut down on that felt recoil!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.