1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Choke?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by art 39, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. art 39

art 39 TS Member

My son is 13 and been shooting for about 8mo.
    What choke is best for 19 yd line. shooting sts 1 1/8, Full, M, IM?

2. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Choke size will not buy your son targets. Choke size is related to percentage of shot inside a 30 inch circle at 40 yards. Even inside the 30 inch circle, there are holes in patterns. The outside parts of the pattern are the pieces of shot that are behind the main shot charge. The further away from center they are, the further back in the shot cloud they are.

Most shooters will take a 19 yard target well inside 40 yards so things you read about full (or any other) choke distribution do not directly apply. to my way of thinking there is no correct answer to your question. Whatever choke is working at 16 yards will work fine from 19 yards. Having said that, I will point out that the real reason I miss handicap targets is because I am not a very good 16 yard shooter not because of the choke.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I find IM briley spectrum in my browning xt is fine 16 so far back to 22? what ever he is useing now if he is doing good or consistant just step back and keep shooting.

4. art 39

art 39 TS Member

He is using a IM in a BT99. Breaks 21-23 on average from the 16
    Thanks for the replies.

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

the IM will work fine for many many yards. Work on 16s and shoot handicap the same way. Just look at the target, swing the gun and shoot right at it.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

At 13, just let him shoot, 21/23 average at 13 years old is great. Dont get his head in the game(no thinking) just let him get up and shoot. He may be nervous enough stepping back. For me IM and 7.5s are all I need? Just wish I could get more consistant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.