1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Choke To use on OPENING DAY of Dove season/

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mreinfeld, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mreinfeld

mreinfeld TS Member

What choke to use on opening day of dove season? And over/under or automatic?

Matt

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Depends on hiow many you want to kill ok my self I only shot a pump gun and it was a full choke for the first and second and even a few third shot's.

So my advice is to use what ever the gun came with ok im sure you have more chokes tahn AI had guns back then.

ok sorry im sure you will get some good advice after i post but just trying to bump your thread up.

Foghorn

3. mr. listo

mr. listo Member

Matt...

IC or LM usually works best as the birds are closer to you in Opening Day.
    Stick a Mod choke in your pocket if you aren't getting good hits and the birds are further away.

LM has been my favorite for years. You can take the longer shots when they present themselves.

Good luck,

Harry

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Whatever works best for you at trap. My O/U trap gun will be choked Modified (.020") and Improved Modified (.028") when we don our ventilated camo and strategically place our lawn chairs between the local farmer's corn fields, his pond and the railroad tracks that border his property. If they're really flying or I'm really shooting poorly, my 1100TT with an I/M tube in its Hastings barrel might be pressed into service.

Whatever you select, use it safely!

Ed

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Upon reviewing the original question.....I'm glad I'm not hunting anywhere near him.

Curt

6. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey!
    Improved cyl. will be just fine for opening day. Over/under is my preferred choice. If you reload your own shells, a 1oz. w/ #7 1/2's or 8's will do. Something in the neighborhood of 1150-1200 fps. A couple of tips: leave the gun behind when you go fetch a bird, and when you knock one down, DO NOT take your eyes off of the bird. Keep your eyes on it, lower your gun down to your seat or the ground and go get it. This will help prevent lost birds and help to not be wasteful. An over/under will help you keep all your hulls too. There's nothing that can piss off a farmer quicker than hulls and trash left behind. And take shots you KNOW you can make. imagine a 30 foot ring around you, and take anything inside that. This will make friendsin the field. TRUST ME Have fun, and be safe. -powderburn

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Their thin skinned birds. IC will kill out to 30 yards.

8. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

IC and semi-auto works for me.............Roger

9. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! THAT'S the true question.

AJ100

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

In Michigan we will sit home and not spend money because our politcians decided MI. WAS SUCH A WEALTHY STATE WE DID NOT need THE MILLIONS IN REVENUE LOST ON THE canceled DOVE HUNT, despite a very successful trial season.

Shoot one for me,I will.

11. Timbob44

Timbob44 Member

All you California boys who plan to dove hunt be sure you are using steel shot if you are in the zone that requires it (which is most of California) I was talking to some game wardens the other day and they will be checking hunters loads. And from what I was told they will be handing out the tickets to inforce the no lead law. Between dove and deer season I figure the state will make a ton in fines. Thanks, Tim

12. mreinfeld

mreinfeld TS Member

TIMBOB44,

Where did you get your info on the no lead hunting upland birds in California?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best choke for opening day dove season