1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What choke should my 12yr use for trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kytrapdad, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kytrapdad

kytrapdad TS Member

My 12yr old shot trap last year for the first time in 4H. He used a Charles Daly 20ga semi autowith a mod choke. We have a Browning 12ga bps with a full choke, should I look for a diff gun and what choke should he use? Last yr ave was 15 out of 25.

2. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Improved modified for everything.

Dave

3. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

A choke that has .015 constriction (lt mod) will allow too many gaps in the pattern. (different gun barrels and chokes may vary). I would suggest mod (.020)or imp mod (.025) for the best pattern balance at the 16 yd line. My thought is to get a large and forgiving pattern for the youngster to learn with.

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

At 16 yards a modified choke works great most people are over choked I asked many choke makers and they said 20 th for 16 yards. You will get lots of shooters with the choke for smoke mentality but the big dogs usually get their guns tuned for a full even pattern both 16 and 27 yards they do shoot full choke from the 27 but tuned for max full even patterns.

5. kytrapdad

kytrapdad TS Member

Thanks, am learning more and more along with my sun, have shot guns on and off but this is also my first time for trap.

6. kytrapdad

kytrapdad TS Member

Sorry...Son.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

.020 (mod), or .025 (imp mod) as stated...
    but, have the constriction measured so you know what it truly is...

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Don't worry about choke, you full is fine. Worry about getting him some good coaching and practice so he learns to point the gun properly.

-Gary

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Find a gun for him that is user friendly, that is one with little or no recoil. The next thing is a gun that hits what he is looking at, one he doesn't have to aim like a rifle. A modified choke is fine, as he gets better you can go to an improved modified if needed. HMB

10. kytrapdad

kytrapdad TS Member

Thanks guys...were is the best place close to KY to get some coaching?

11. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

have the constriction measured so you know what it truly is... Big M

This is what I should have added to my comment as I shoot a choke marked LF but it measures .025 constriction which is imp. modified. I have a friend who shoots improved modified and has broke 100's from the 27 yard line. The best I have done is 99's.

Dave

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Full!!!

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If he can hit 15 of 25 with a 20 gauge, he'll love the switch to 12 gauge. Try to find him a BT99 Plus or BT99 Plus micro. They're completely adjustable out of the box, has a recoil reducer, and you can change chokes 'til you get what the pattern/breaks you want. Good luck.

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I would use the choke patterns the best with the gun and shells you are using. Take the time to put it on paper and you will have your answer.

Wayne

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Pattern the 12, but assuming the 12 gauge patterns well and the gun is comfortable to shoot, no reason not to start with that... although if its a field gun, you might want to build up the comb so that the gun shoots higher and allows your boy to see the targets like a trap gun.

IMO, I don't think we do our new shooters any favors by giving them a bigger pattern to rely upon. I really don't talk about pattern, I leave it tight...

However, maybe part of the game plan should be to work on target presentation fundamentals... consider building his skills with shooting exercises using non-oscillating targets... my grandson just started shooting a few targets and I start him at 8 yards with fixed straights and when he's tied a few of those together, I moved him to positions "2 & 4" at 8 yards... we haven't got to 1 & 5 yet because he's not strong enough on his light angles...

Just my strategy...

best regards,

Jay

16. TD1958

TD1958 Member

The full choke will make a better shooter out of him. I don't like to rely on the fringe of a pattern to better my scores. The full will make him concentrate on centering a bird every shot. Good Luck, Tim

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Just for thrills.. what do you now consider "full"...

18. kytrapdad

kytrapdad TS Member

Thanks guys for all the info, I know with more practice he will also get much better... Coach only had prac 1 time a month. I did throw him some but not the same as out of a trap house.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If he's getting 15 out of 20 with a mod choke in singles, changing choke is not going to help at this point. He has some of the technique down, but he needs coaching to fine hone it. A coach can probably spot a mistake or several mistakes that you are not. He also needs to be checked for crossfiring. So I say get him some coaching.

20. open choke

open choke TS Member

I agree with the MOD leaving too many holes in the pattern I use FULL for everything. IM patterns right in the middle in my gun also

I'm considering getting a X-FULL to practice so I cover that bird and open up the choke for ATA events.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.