1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Choke Should I Be Using

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by t7731, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t7731

t7731 Member

Relatively new shooter here who shoots mostly singles and 20/22 yard handicaps. I bought a BT-99 a few months back and have been using the Full Choke that came with the gun. Am I short changing myself and should I be experimenting to get a little wider pattern?

2. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Get a Modified choke. That is all I use in my BT. Breaks targets great. I have 2 of the Diana Gold chokes (mod & Imp. mod) love em. Been shooting more 25's than ever before!!!!

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Fixed full!

4. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I'm like Roger C on this one. 18-22 thousands constriction and use the full for practice. That's what my shooting buddies and I do.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I use .032 (light full) for everything. It's important to have the gun fit you so it shoots where your looking...

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Just leave the full in and don't even think about different chokes.

Concentrating on the fundamentals (stance, head on stock, keeping your eye on the target, etc.) will improve your score more and give you better hits than changing chokes and still missing because of other mistakes being make.

Plus a good gun fit as Big M says is equally important.

JMO, Bill

7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Use the Full.

Or get a Briley Extra Full.

Don't play games with your choke. Put it in, and leave it in.

You don't get a bigger pattern with a more open choke. All you get is a less dense center.

If you center the target, why would you want to put less shot on it? And if you don't, the more open choke isn't going to help you.

8. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

If the full choke that came with the gun is a Midas ... that is 0.035" of constriction. In my experience with Browning Inv Plus barrels ... 0.035" is overchoked at 16 yds. Heck, that full will break em good back at 27 yds. I settled on the Diana (gold) chokes ... very good results. IM at 16 yds will crush the birds hard ...even with 1oz shot. Shooting 1-1/8 ... I feel the Mod would even be a good choice ... although I stick with IM. I would save using the 0.035" full for the 24-25 yd line.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

you'll get lots of opinions and they all have merit...me personally with Invector plus Briley extended tubes have found the IM to kill targets to the 27 and even beyond when playing long yard games..not sure a full could work enough better to even tell a difference...for me IM is a screw it in once and forget it proposition

10. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I attended two trapshooting clinics this year. One was put on by Nora Ross and the other was by Leo Harrison III, BOTH of them said that they would recommend that shooters learn to shoot a full choke for everything ( except first shot on doubles). They said that when practicing, it is easier to see if you are centering the birds with your pattern if using a full choke.
    For me personally, I started using a full choke and it has improved my shooting for both registered targets and games.

JMAC

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You need to put the choke on paper and see what percentage of shot you are getting in the 20 and 30 inch circles. I've had some factory Browning Full chokes that were horrible. On the other hand I've got a Carlson's IM Sporting that will put 86% of 1 ounce shot in a 30" circle at 35 yards. It stays in the gun to the 27.

Wayne

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Do you want to excel or just have fun? My answer will address both actually.

You aren't and most people won't be good enough to miss by the 3 or 4 extra inches an open choke ( ie. 020) will give you. If you really become proficient it may get you an extra target or two per thousand. Now the significance of that 1 or 2 targets will be diminshed due to the multiple missed targets that will be involved in your handicap game due to shooting sloppy chokes up close. A centered target on the 16 will be a broken target from the 27.

The flip side however if you believe you have an edge you will. Now the significance of an open choke plays a different role.

13. bevolt

bevolt Member

By patterning on paper I have found that my 391 parallel trap with overbored barrel and optima extended modified choke tube (0.020) shoots AA shells with a full+ pattern (75% of shot within a 28" circle at 40yds). My 391 field gun with standard bore and mobile-choke full tube (shorter choke tube) also shoots a full choke pattern with the AA shells.

Interestingly, if you look at the pattern from my 391PT with the 0.020 tube and AA shells with 1 1/8 oz of 8 shot, there is clearly a statistical possibility (i.e., holes in the pattern that the target could fly through) that you will miss a target at 35yds even if your point of impact is within 10" of the correct location (i.e., a 20" circle around the correct POI). The "shotgun insight" software estimates this probability to be ~1%, which I consider to be small but not negligible.

14. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Over the years i have probably owned every choke tube made.every constriction.I am still a class D shooter.If you want to tell what choke works best for you shoot them all and see what works.When Muller's came out it was going to be the choke that was going to put me right up there with Leo,Harlan and the boys.well it didn't work out that way.a choke is not going to do anything if you cant shoot.take a o/u and put different chokes in the barrels.shoot trap #1 with the bottom then trap#2 with the top.and so on and see how that works out.the only thing i have tried that worked was i had Stu wright put a herb Orr choke in my 303. let me tell you no matter what shell i put in that gun the pattern was the same.the worst mistake i made was selling that barrel.I have a new bt-99.it is going to Stu wright for a herb Orr(sp)choke with a u4 muller on the end.if it works,fine,if it don't,fine.I'll try something else.

tracy

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I find the tighter chokes provide better results on both the singles and HC events. The reason isn't because the more open chokes will let targets escape through holes in the pattern but because the tighter chokes provide better feedback as to how you are hitting the target. When you get to where you are smoking the singles target you know you are centering those birds and this builds the kind of confidence Pheasantmaster was refering to. (although from the opposite end)

I would stick to the choke you have and if you wanted to experiment a bit then try an aftermarket tube in the lite full to IMOD range. But bottom line, if you can't smoke the target you don't have enough choke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.