1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What choke for sporting clays*****

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Longhorn, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Forgive me trapshooting gods as I'm going to shoot my first round of sporting clays this weekend. I will be using my Browning XT. What chokes should I use? Any other suggestions would be more than welcomed.

2. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Let each station dictate your choke selection, but, as a rule, an IC and LM will handle 90% of all the birds you'll encounter. Garrett

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What ClaySmoke said. I use IMOD and FULL, but that is just me. I am too lazy to change chokes every station.

Briley's biggest seller in the choke tube market is Light Mod.

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Most courses easily handle IC choke.

I was at a shoot this past week where skeet choke was all you needed. Shot 1oz #8s and scored an 80.

An IM in your bag is not a bad idea.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm like Joe, IC/IC most of the time. If I know the course has some shots that will need a bit more, I'll top out at Lt.Mod but it's very rare I do so. I have a buddy that thought he changed the choke on his Rem. 1100 to handle a shot that had to be 50 yards out when shot as the second bird of a true pair. He proudly found he could hit it nicely 4 times out of 5 and THEN checked his choke and it was a Skeet tube. So much for changing chokes. I sense that FTASK is having an influence on what used to be typical Sporting shots - an attempt to add in more distant shots and I wish we could return to the original Sporting setting ideas....breakemall.....Bob Dodd.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The 2 jplaces I have shot at do well with IC and light 8's for all but the rabbit and one far off shot.

Those get 7&1/2 full boat handicap loads. (the rabbit target is thick and hard to break)

HM

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Longhorn, Using a O/U shotgun in sporting will make you use two of the same chokes almost all the time. As most course take into account the Auto shooters single barrel gun. So its best to use 2 of the same for almost all stations. Your'll know when to use different. Most shooters will have skeet, IC, and Light Mod or a plain Mod. in their bag. I have never shot a round of sporting that you needed more than a light Mod or Mod. Remember 2 of each is best, now go and have some fun. Break-em all. Jeff

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

.015 and never change.

9. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I checked some master class shooters and they had LM about .015 for everything out to 50 yards and were crushing them. I used my skeet gun last time and shot my best round with sk and sk fixed chokes.

10. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

It's hard to go wrong with a Briley #3 as one of your chokes, and if you have two of them, you might change your top barrel for a long crosser ... or maybe not.

11. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I shoot LM and Mod combo 90% of the time. Every now and then I will put in a Skeet for an in your face bird...but...not very often.

If I was buying new chokes for an O/U go with IC/LM or LM/LM. For an auto a LM.

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Though I don't shoot it, I did buy Gil Ash's video on choke selection and I thought his case for modified was pretty convincing, in general.

Neil

13. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Light mods or mods can smoke em all. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

On my O/U's I take SK,IC,LM. If I get a target presentation inside of 15 yards I thread shoot the target/station.

My SX-2 really likes my SK choke. I find that it works very well for me out to 40 yards. Anything farther than that I use a LM.

I use 1 oz of 8's for everything and push them at 1235fps. I have been known to keep a box of Nitro 27's (handicap loads) in the bag as a confidence builder.

ss

15. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Don't mean to hijack,,,,but should he/I use a tighter choke if using a 20 guage????

16. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I have fixed chokes in my Mirage, I started using Fiochi spreaders
    for closer shots. Now use them for about 3/4 of a course. Quicker
    than changing chokes. Gary Owen

17. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

As with the majority of the group, I shoot IC/LM in my O/U. I am not sure if this matters or not but I noticed a difference between shooting my 525 Citori on the clays field vs. shooting an XT. The higher comb affected my mount as I shoot a low gun on the clays field in lieu of a mounted gun. I noticed that I was shooting over the targets more with the XT. It may have been user error but it did have an impact on my score.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Most of the time I use an IC. Sometimes a mod. Have yet to need a full. Probably should get a light mod. Would likely do everything I need.

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

Some of these guys change chokes at every station. What a PITA that would be!

Course design will affect your choice so ask what the more experienced guys at the venue what they recommend and start there. If you are new to the game, the long shots will be longer for you and the incomers will be closer than the "good" guys shoot at - because they shoot faster.

Tron shoots a lost of SC and is good at it. Send him a PM and he can steer you right.

Don Verna

20. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I am kind of surprised to see that even on a trap site no choke tighter than modified was recommended, even for long shots. Some even advocating skeet and light mod for the long shots. Most courses do have an average distance that most stations will fall into, favoring an improved cylinder to a modified choke depending on the course. But there is usually at least one or two long stations and at least one close station where a full choke or a skeet choke would work better. Anyone who has ever taken the time to pattern their gun would quickly see the disadvantage of IC or Skeet at long range targets or Modified or IM at closer than 20 yard targets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sk choke and sporting clays