1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What choke cleaner

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slowdp, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

What brand choke cleaner do you use and why?

2. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Mercury Power Tune Engine Cleaner. I get it at the Mercury outboard dealer. Seems to work better and faster then gun cleaners on both plastic and carbon.

3. smartass

smartass TS Member

You apparently are assuming that people 1. shoot with choke tubes and 2. clean these choke tubes.

I clean my choke tubes with a pocket knife.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

straight99- You might read the contents of the Mercury cleaner and discover that you can buy it cheaper at a paint store. Most, but not all, of this type of engine/break cleaners are acetone.

The same solvents that clean barrels will clean tubes.

Pat Ireland

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Slip 2000 Choke and Piston Cleaner works for me. I've found an over-night soak works better than package directions.

I can use it inside home without annoying the other half, or filing papers with the EPA.

Briley may sell the same thing with his label. Briley's has the same pleasing citric fragrance.

I've never had much success with either brake or carburetor cleaner. Neither have a pleasing citrus fragrance

BTW - I've been hoping read a post from somebody that ACTUALLY conducted a before and after patterning and counting comparison. I’ve read what people think, insist, and guess will happen. But I’ve never seen the numbers.

6. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Now we know how SmartDonkey got his name. You get plastic buildup in whatever type barrel you shoot and I do know that many people don't clean anything. Most of the people I shoot with take the same approach to cleaning and use their pocket knife. There was some time expended by the factory getting the chokes and forcing cones polished. I think they would work better if kept polished. But that is just an opinion and has not been proven by me.

Getting the plastic out with a wire brush is almost impossible. It can be done but it is a long, tiring process. I picked up some Remington Brite Bore. After soaking the tubes about 12 hours most of the plastic pealed off with the wire brush. Several products are advertised. Do they work without a lot of elbow grease.

Pat, Will acetone break down plastic?

7. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Thanks mrskeet410. I saw somewhere a note comparing the Slip 2000 to a product from TruChoke. The Remington Brite Bore takes an overnight soak as well.

8. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Thanks zarathrusta, ill try the mineral spirits. If it breaks down plastic it will be cheap enough.

9. Mike G

Mike G Member

Mineral spirits works well overnight - in fact I left my Beretta Optima chokes with the color coded bands on them in a can of mineral spirits overnight and yes the next day my choke tubes were no longer color coded. Live and learn.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.