1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT CHANGES HAVE YOU SEEN OVER THE YEARS??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i was talking to a friend over the weekened and asked him if he was going to shoot at a certain club in the area. he said no way, they don't even have automatic trap machines. i started thinking about the numerous changes i have seen since i first started shooting in 1970. years ago if you had a puller that was slow on the button, you really had to watch it so you didn't start missing targets. if some kid was a fraction slow on the button he or she could really screw up a shooter's timing and the word loss would be heard and scores would go into the dumper. another change, most people reloaded when i first started in this game, anyone who used new shells especially for shooting practice, were considered rich, or they owned a gun club. i remember loading federal papers, using a heating element that had to be placed in each hull prior to loading, or place hulls in the oven, how things have changed. i remember if you used a semi auto, most people either had a back up gun, or they had a box of spare parts that they took to the shoot. if you used a pump, or semi auto, you had extra barrels so you could change chokes between 16yd, and handicap. now we have choke tubes. i remember reading the american shotgunner magazine religiously, they would interview the all americans and they usually gave shooting tips. at that time gun clubs were a gathering place. if you had a tournament, they were very well attended, and most people stayed for the day. now most shooters shoot and run, few people have the time to spend an entire day at the club. if any of you remember changes you have seen since you first started shooting, please list them.
    steve balistreri

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I remember when we were shooting those glass balls, that glass used to get all over the place. It was a mess.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

timb99....... Like this...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I remember my step dad shooting a side-by-side.

5. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

2009 WESTERN GRAND AMERICAN
    (09/02/2009 - 09/06/2009)

97 of 163 entrants in the final singles event were A - AA or AAA class.

Back when the sport was more of a challenge, without all of the "improvements" and the emphasis on All-American points, I found it more enjoyable.

Of course, that was then with a different mix of people who today spend their leisure time in Sporting Clays, golf, etc.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I remember the old sucker rod traps. A small club that I shot at as a kid was stillusing one. The whiners over the push button had obvious no experience in shooting over one of these. The push button did for the game at that time what the voice calls have for today.

I to remember the gun club gatherings and how everyone hated to leave. Many a shooter still not wanting to leave the club and thus card and dice games continued the day. Of course we didn't have many tv stations either then.LOL

Model 12's ruled the day. A few old singles, Baker, LaFever, a few Ithicas and maybe an old Marlin, Iver Johnson, or whatever.

We use to have some darn good fun all day long playing pranks on oneanother too. No One got hurt, no one got sued and darn sure no one got irritated. You just got even!

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I can remember when you could buy gas for $.30 a gallon and cigarettes for a quarter a pack or $2.50 per carton ( never could figure out why that was such a big deal, but I guess it was because you got a free pack with the carton ) ... "Gas Wars", Ahhh, those were the days ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

AND.......I remember when most shooters played the options, at least some of them...........and bitch a heck of a lot less!

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

What I have noticed over the years is we continue to make it easier to shoot better scores. Think about it and look at all the changes that have been made.

With the easier ways to shoot better what are we getting more crying and complaining.

Bob Lawless

10. warren

warren Member

I shot a model 21 and loved it, won the Calif. State Jr. Championship with it in Visalia.

warren

11. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

What I have noticed over the years is we continue to make it easier to shoot better scores. Think about it and look at all the changes that have been made.

With the easier ways to shoot better what are we getting more crying and complaining.

Bob, I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. Wish they would just shoot and enjoy the sport and fellowship. J.Woolsey

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

With the easier ways to shoot better what are we getting more crying and complaining

bob, do you really find it that much different than everyday life in this country? How many men do you know that were born and breed in this country that would work on the top end of a shovel for 8 hrs. a day and day after day? There use to be alot!

13. ivanhoe

JW they can't do that. Its all about the money and options just read the comments.

Funny though making it easier to shoot better score make it harder to take money away from those that are taking it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Bob, you are wrong if you are referring to recent comments about the changes to the classification rules. It's all about the fairness, not about the money. We are saying that it is not fair for a shooter who shoots a lower score to win over someone who has outshot them.

I, for one, don't ever (and never have) played the money options. It's not about the money.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

When I started shooting trap I felt guilty about 'trowing away' $100/month or so on shooting. These days it is more like $500/month and I don't feel guilty. I just hope I can keep playing the game for another 20 or 30 years.

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

And don't forget the shell box holders on a pole directly in front of the shooter on each station!!

17. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

When I was a kid I worked/shot at a club that had the pipe that you would cock and pull. That club also had those boxes on the stand in the front of the 16 yard line where you could sit your shells. Those shoots would last all day, they would shoot till dark and sometimes later by car headlights.

It seemed like 95% of the guns were pump guns back then, either a Model 12 or an 870. If you wanted to impress somebody you got the 870TC over the 870TB. Back then anybody shooting a Browning was thought to be rich, and the town millionaire shot an Ithaca.

I remember 25,50,75, and 100 straight patches, and people wore em, had em sewed on their vests, and where proud of the accomplishment. If an out of towner or a new shooter showed up with a 50 straight patch, we were impressed back then. That guy must be a great shooter he's got a 59 straight patch!! Now, even at the 3 squad shoot there are going to be a two or three hundred straights.

I was a trap boy back in the 60s. We had a local shooter go to the Grand who broke a 96 in the GAH and came back with several thousand dollars. He didn't win the GAH, but he broke a 96 in the BIG ONE and came home with some money. We thought he was a God!! A local boy competed with the biggest, and baddest shooters in the world and he held his own.

Nobody seemed to bitch about targets back then. You shot whatever came out of the house, as long as everybody was shooting the same target who cared. Now everybody seems average obsessed. Now most shooters would rather lose an shoot a 99 than shot and win with a 96 or 97.

18. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Probably would improve the sport if we used a delayed release of the target. Find out who has trigger and mental control vs. the shooter who is just a shooting robot.

19. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The switch from affordable trap guns like Model 12, 1100, BT99 etc.
    to Perazzi, Krieghoff, Silver Seitz and the like.

20. ivanhoe

Devi

"Bob, you are wrong if you are referring to recent comments about the changes to the classification rules."

I wasn't referring to that but since you brought it up. According to the past President of the ATA.

"But let's all understand, this new rule - at "big" shoots, at least - zeros out the reasons categories were established, to give some shooters an easier route to a trophy."

Seem to me like I am not entirely wrong even thought I wasn't referring to that rule.

As far as the money comment is concerned I never singled out anyone you in particular. You will not have to search to hard to find someone that is referring to money or the lack of it.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.