1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What causes face slap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skipsor, Jun 16, 2013.

1. skipsor

skipsor Member

A friend has a gun that seems to have an inordinate amount of face slap. The stock slaps him hard enough that he takes Advil prior to shooting in order to decrease the pain.

Is this caused by a poorly fitted stock, bad gun mount or a combination of both?

2. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Poorly fitted gun, and inappropriate comments to her when she says no! You cannot go to the club today! You must mow the yard! As far as the gun face slap, check the stock pitch for one thing.

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Face slap is when I sneak up behind her and scare her...ouch!

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I had a Citori that bruised my cheek every time I shot it and I sold it. Wasn't sure why it did it so it will be interesting to see the responses. Jackie B.

5. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

incorrect pitch!

There are spacers available to change the pitch, positive or negative

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put a washer on the top butt pad screw between the stock and the pad. Keep adding washers one at a time until the problem goes away. HMB

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Well, one time I was on a New York City subway and a man who obviously had had a couple of drinks put his hand over the hand of a very attractive girl who was standing next to him. That CAN cause it but it is not the only cause. Each case is different.

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Poor gun fit and it can be coupled with lifting your head.

9. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Have your friend pick up a copy of the "Stock Fitters Bible" by Rollin Oswald (less than $25.00 on Amazon.com). He will find out the causes of face slap and how to fix the problem. This book won't make him a stock fitter but he will have a great knowledge on the basics of fitting a stock.

Pat

10. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Every gun bigger than a .22 kicks me in the face. I guess I have sharp cheek bones along with a thin face. I've tried a jillion stock adjustments and the only thing that works is an inexpensive stick-on comb pad. Adds width to the comb as well as a soft pad. They're available in several thicknesses. I've had them on every trap gun I've owned...and shooting doesn't hurt with them on.

11. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Thank you for the book recommendation, Pat.

"Cheek slap" has a number of causes.

The wrong pitch on the stock is the most common. Pitch is the angle formed by the recoil pad and the rib, approximately 90 degrees. Cheek most often occurs when the bottom, pointed, "toe" of the pad protrudes too far. (I won't bore you with the reason that causes cheek slap; just believe me when I say that it does.)

The pitch is right FOR YOU when, as you are mounting your gun and the barrel is raised to a normal shooting height, the gun comes back to the shoulder and the whole recoil pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact wtih your shoulder.

If the toe makes contact well before the top of the pad (the heel), cheek slap is a common result. The toe of the pad should be exerting only enough pressure on the shoulder to avoid rotating/twisting/canting the gun during swings to targets.

And, if the toe of the pad makes no contact at all with the shoulder and the shooter is wearing multiple layers of clothing that can slide on each other, cheek slap can occur when the recoil pad slides up during recoil.

Other causes of cheek slap include both too much and too little cheek pressure on the comb. Fact: barrels (and combs) rise during recoil. Too much cheek pressure and the flesh between the comb and the cheekbone can be pinched. Too little cheek pressure and the rising comb can impact the cheek rather than nudge or push it.

Shooting with the cheek well above the comb will eliminate any chance of cheek slap but at the expense of an inferior head (and eye) weld to the stock during swings and a challenge in developing a consistent gun mount.

With a low gun mount or a long neck, each of which can result in an inadequate "drop at the heel" stock dimension, the neck has to be leaned forward and the head tilted back to put the cheek on the comb.

This causes a couple of problems: First, the eyes have to look "up" to see targets, which hastens visual fatigue during a long day of shooting. More importantly, the cheek makes contact with the comb at the forward part of the cheekbone, which is the part that has a reduced covering of flesn AND a larger number of pain receptors. Both can often lead to cheek slap.

A similar thing can happen when shooters turn their heads toward the stock too much. This can happen when the gun is mounted too far out on the shoulder (or upper arm) or when the the shooter faces targets too directly and the stock does not have enough cast (angling of the stock one way or another).

Cheek alsp can even occur when the comb is too high and the shooter has to tilt the head to lean cheek on the comb to allow the eye to vertically align with the rib. The cheek is injured is in a different place but it is cheek slap nevertheless.

Finally and usually accommpanied by one or more of the above, a higher portion of a rising comb on a field stock can injure the cheek. This can result from one of the above or a loose gun mount when the gun accelerated before making solid contact with the shoulder.

As was pointed out above, not only must guns fit to eliminate the possibility of cheek slap, but the gun mount must be good - at a height on the shoulder that accomodates both neck length and the stock's drop at the heel, (distance from the top of the recoil pad (heel) up to the rib). This dimension combines with the gun mount and neck length to allow or prevent shooters shooting with a naturally erect head and neck posture (with the eyes vertically looking straight ahead).

Rollin

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I can shoot any gun out there and do just fine. How ever if I shoot a newer Winchester it will beat the hell out me. Say 101 and newer. Why I don't know.

13. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Why do boxers clinch? So they can't get punched, right?

Place your fist against someone's shoulder. Now punch. You can shove, but can you punch? Place the palm of your hand firmly on your cheek. Now slap yourself with it. Tough to do, isn't it?

You can't get punched or slapped if your cheek is welded to the stock. Period.

There are a number of reasons why it happens, some already described, but the bottom line is the stock has to have to running start to whack you. And if it fits well, you have a good "cheek weld" (don't peek!) and you can't get slapped.

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'm looking for a Seehaas Recoil pad if anyone has a good one. PM me

15. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Asking a women how old she is does it for me. As far as the gun, a nice fit even if it's a straight stock works for me. BT100dc

16. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

TO anyone that may be interested go to Google and punch in either Brad Dysinger or Dave Berlet pitch and watch our little 5 minute video on stock pitch. This will explain why a lot of people get bumped on the cheek.

Dave Berlet

17. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Thanks Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poEBXc32TRM

18. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Insulting remarks works for me

19. claykiller

claykiller Member

My hand.

Search tags for this page