1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What causes a Pat Trap to fall out of time?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hooked, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooked

Hooked Member

Hello all,

We have a Pat Trap that our club bought new about 4-5 years ago (don't know which series it is, but it has the old style metal plate/roller wheel assembly on the doubles target hole).

Last weekend, the machine was breaking targets when set on doubles and we realized the machine had fallen out of time. We re-timed it and it would throw 5-6 pairs fine, but then we would notice the machine to be falling out of time again...little by little to the point where it was breaking targets again. There didn't appear to be problems with the machine as it was throwing the targets (no hic-ups, hesitations, etc.) but for sure it was falling out of time.

My question is: What causes these things to fall out of time and what areas should we focus on in trying to come up with a fix?

Thanks for all your help.

Brian

2. Hooked

Hooked Member

Thanks Jim,

Would you mind if I get my friend, Jerry, to call you? He's our resident mechanic and knows a lot more about the situation than I do. I just starting to learn my way around our Pats.

Thanks again.

Brian

3. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I have been told by people smarter than me, that Pat Inc. pressed that wheel on the shaft and that's why it won't hold. And Pat doesn't agree, but Chuck at Golden West says to drill that sprocket and put in a 1/8 roll pin.

I have yet to have any problems but know that Helena has had problems and is thinking of drilling all of them. I may just do that before our turn at the State Shoot in a year.

Rickyd

4. Hooked

Hooked Member

Thanks for your help everyone. It turned out that the sprocket was slipping on the shaft. We've pinned it, re-timed the machine and everything seems to be working well. We may end up doing this fix on our 4 other pats as well.

Thanks again & best regards

Brian

5. La Leyenda

La Leyenda TS Member

We have had the same problem with one of ours and Chuck's cure fixed it.

Bob

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Is there any reason why this sprocket would have to come off the shaft? I'm thinking spot weld myself.

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

is that the little gear on the outside that you see from the right side of the trap??motordoc

8. ric3677

That would depend on whether you are in back of the trap or in front of the trap.
    If you are in back it's on the right side...hooked up to the turret via a chain and two sprockets. The smaller one being the one that comes loose on ocaision

Rickyd

9. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Chuck come through again.

10. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

As the old saying goes "Chuck and Mike have probably forgotten more about Trap Machines than most people know!"

Being able to diagnose over the phone is a talent!

Gene

11. trapgeek

trapgeek Member

We may need this fix too.

12. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Does the big gear ever slip too or is it just the little one? We have the same problem, should you pin them both while you have it apart?

Terry.

13. ric3677

Terry, there appears to be more force on the small one than the big one. I have never heard of the big one coming loose. Not saying it hasn't happened.

Rickyd

14. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Ok. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.