1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What caused this wood split?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Steve W, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Saw this in another thread, the original owner stated the adj. comb installer said the split was caused by "Backing out the set screw too far".

My question is, why the hole is too small for the set screw to back out?

I have after market adj. comb on one of the stocks, I need to know if this will happen if I back out the set screw.

Thank you for your advise.

[​IMG]

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Your stock guy was right . You don,t take the screws out from the out side .

To remove the screws you turn them in not out . The hole in the stock is smaller then the screw take them out from the out side in.

3. tab

tab Member

I would say the comb top was stuck and somebody tried to pry it back a forth with the allen wrench, the wrench or what ever they were using, slipped out and cracked the wood. My guess Ted

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Alf is right.

5. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    I believe ALF-99 is probably correct (as was the original installer). Some adjustable comb installations, and I often see this on factory adjustable combs, will drill the hole thru the comb or stock a bit smaller than the set screw, so that it is just big enough to get the allen wrench thru. This is done solely for looks. as it allows for a more substantially sized set screw, which is not easily stripped, without having such a large hole thru the side of the stock or comb. This hole would not have been threaded then, which it almost looks like the above hole was, but those threads may have come from "forcing" the set screw out. This by the way, usually takes some pretty good twisting to accomplish. This may fall under the old rule "if it don't go, don't force it". Mike

6. Steve W

ALF-99,

What was the reason the hole needs to be smaller than the screw? I believe most people would never thought about this, and backing out the screw from where you see it is logical for most of us?

Thank you for your help.

7. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

By the way, a good mechanic may be able to glue that back together so that it hardly shows, if at all.

8. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Steve- As regards your last sentence, you are probably correct, which is indeed a downfall to doing it this way, I was thinking, after I read that, about how many adjustable combs I remove, and how many times in the beginning I twisted real hard trying to figure out why the dadburn set screw won't come out. Also, and of course, some wood splits a whole lot easier than other wood.

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Guys use old allen wenches and the screws get striped . I buy alot of used trap guns and like to clean them up . I have found most comb screws are bigger then the hole in the stock . It,s really just a looks thing .

You just buy a new set of screws the lenght of the (AS THE post is wide) and put them in from the inside .

By the way if you read SOME books that come with a new gun it will tell you to only back the set screw off one turn to adjust .

10. Steve W

Thank you for your explanations. Appreciated. That answered my question. The look.

Funny to think we care about the look of the size of two holes after we had our stocks cut, and in some cases, had a cheesy fake leather covering the soft comb. :)

Luckily I never had the desire to unscrew them more than 1 turn. I was just curious why it can't.

11. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good call Alf, I learned something today. Glad I never had a reason to take the screw out, don't know why I would though.

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Beretta????

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't understand the ruckus over this stock. Glue it back together and forget about it. It can't have ANY effect on function.

14. Steve W

Frank C, it's a TM1 Perazzi stock with after market comb. Not mine.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Alf is right.. the hole in the comb/stock is for the allen wrench.. not the screw..

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

You guys may be right but what you are describing is riduclous. The comb sleeves I have installed are 1/8 in thick. So you use a set screw less than an eight inch long? You are going to have to drill the bushing, then the comb seperately. Then try to line the two holes when the bushings are installed? I install the bushing, drill through the comb into the bushing and run a tap all the way into the bushing.

Maybe someone has tried to put in a set screw that was too big.

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

This is actually a fairly common accurance with Beretta factory hardware. Yep, you can just glue it together if you like, but you'll always see it.

18. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

If backing the screw out is what broke this, would there be thread marks in the wood?

19. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

JerryP All the screws I have replace in Adj combs are longer then 1/8 inch . More like a 1/4 inch . The reason I know is they (the new screws) just fit inside the post .

RickN The flat part of the screw pushing on the wood broke it . Give it a try Back your screw out untill it gets hard to turn and look at it .

20. skeezix

skeezix Member

The Beretta combs are a drop in self contained unit. The holes in the wood are strictly for allen wrench access. A friend of mine did not realize this and tried to take the screws out - it blew off the whole side of the stock. Greg Hissem did a great job of gluing the darn thing back together.

john

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.