1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What can you tell me about SKB guns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Oct 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

What can you tell me about SKB trap over-under guns? Are they a quality and reliable gun? Te 85TT model looks like a good value with adjustable rib and adjustable comb for $2500.

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I sell them. What all would you like to know?
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've always thought the same things but can't find them within reasonable driving distance. Pretty tough buying a trap gun sight unseen. They are in the process of a company or manufacturing overhaul anyway.

4. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Have you ever seen a top shooter shooting one?
    I had a combo for about a year. Never shot a good score with it. Sold it at the last Grand.(Vandalia). I think they are well made,
    Clyde

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Take it from a guy that over the years has had just about every trap gun made. SKBs are about as good as any and better than most. Including the various Ljutics,P guns,B guns,K guns. It is a shame that we have for the most part overlooked the virtues of SKB.

6. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

No longer being made. Parts availibility may be an issue
    in the future.

7. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Durability is not good. I have a friend who shoots one and he has a major breakdown every 4-6,000 targets. He's looking for his next gun now. He does, however, shoot the SKB very well. They are now not being made anymore so if you don't get a steal on it when you buy it, plan to get little or nothing for it when you sell it. So far, my friend has had little trouble getting parts. Pat Liab was able to repair it last time.

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I know a guy that shoots one pretty good and swears by it but he also carries a truck load of spare parts with him when he goes to a shoot. There resale is not good either.

9. Drusso

Drusso Member

I have owned one for 4 years and shot thousands or rounds through it. It is the CG7 or something like that combo. I had to fix a broken pin about 2 months ago. That was the only thing ever done to this gun. It will preform just as good against the best stuff out there. And when you say none of the top shooters use them I guess you must mean "the top National Shooters".

10. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I liked mine, it was an 85TSS O/U with a Briley Choke system. I would not hesitate for one moment to purchase another one. They have some very nice combos for sale, upgraded wood, left or right hand configurations. Good Gun for the price. Guys out in Omaha did the one repair, and it took 10 days port to port.

11. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

The guy that owns SKB lives in Omaha Nebraska and SKB . True they are not currently making guns but they have all kinds of them and all kinds of parts. They are looking for a new manufacturer to make them. You can get to their website at SKBSHOTGUNS.COM Very nice guy that owns them.

12. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Will Ithaca pick up the production?

13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

SKB is is a Japanese gun company. The "Rights" to sell SKB in America may belong to someone here, but, SKB always was owned and run in Japan! SKB is one of the oldest gun companies in the world dating back to match lock days around the 1500s. Unfortunately, it appears thy will shut down production(or proably already have). The Japanese Government had sudsidised them somewhat and has recently withdrawn that support.---As far a the guns go, they are well made. There was a trigger spring issue on some models,but, that was fixed a few years ago. They are a good buy for the money, however, parts availability may prove to be a problem with them shutting down.

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Good as a Krieghoff like a Bushnell is as good as a Swarovski!!

15. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Every one I ever shot whacked the hell out of my shoulder and cheek!

16. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I owned one once. I never had any problems with it that I recall. Shot OK when I did my part. But my personal preference is Italian guns.

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Two different questions asked

Are they a good and durable gun- and the answer is pretty much yes - noting the exceptions commented on above which appear minor

Is a combo worth 2500

Well you can get a lot of Browning- Citori and Cynergy model used combos for below to slightly above that and the same with Beretta 682s

Are they as good of a gun as the Brownings models or Beretta models ? I dont think so

That is what the argument boils down to- which is the best used gun for $2500

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.