1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What can u tell me about Winchester 452 ball powde

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    A while back a friend of mine passed away. This man shot trap and skeet and even though he was a multi millionaire he just loved to reload.

I stopped reloading around 20 years ago and I inherited a keg of Winchester 452AA ball powder from him. When I started reloading,I used Red dot, than switched to 700X, and eventually went to PB.

I gave my friend the keg of Winchester powder but I do not know much about this powder. Any of you ever use it? Could it be used for anything other than 12 gauge, and could you also use it for hand guns?

Just curious.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

2. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I used 452 Winchester ball powder many years ago but never heard of 352. Are you sure of the number? Duane

3. hose 'em down

hose 'em down Active Member

Steve.... I believe you mean Winchester 452 Ball powder . I.ve shot lots of this powder and believe it was replaced by Winchester Super TArget; as was Winchester 473, a great 20 gauge powder that was replaced by Winchester Super Field.

I only used it in the 12 gauge but believe it had some pistol applications. See if you can get ahold of a 25+ year old Winchester loading pamphlet as it should be able to tell you all you need to know about 452. Hope this is of some help to you.

Ernie....in AZ

4. tulsey

tulsey Member

If you do a simple search on the web for loading data for Winchester 452 powder you will find lots of loads and answers.

5. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

If it is indeed 452 winchester powder that is what I started out with 30 years ago for 1.125 oz 12 Ga loads and it worked just fine.

6. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Best 9mm & 45ACP powder for me - ever. Pete

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Steve, I'm still shooting 452AA. It's good powder but it's hard to get started,as is most ball powder. In cold weather some primers would sometimes give me inconsistent loads. I went to Federal 209A's for all my ball powder and all that stopped.

I've never tried it in handguns.

Ajax

8. senior smoke

My mistake it was 452AA ball powder. I was at my friends house and it is so fine. His Mec needed that metal groumet because it was leaking out of his reloading machine.
    Thanks,
    Steve

9. oz

oz Active Member

not quite as old as red dot. that's a real dinosaur.

10. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I loaded the published load in Winchester's manual for many years. The only reason I stopped was because they quit making it. This is the loading data from the "Winchester Reloading Components Manual".

Win. AA hull, Win. 209 Primer, Win. AA Wad, with 1 1/8 Oz. load is as follows:

19.5 grains of 452 powder = 1145 FPS MEC Bushing #29

20.5 grains of 452 powder = 1200 FPS MEC Bushing #30

I hope this helps.......Duane

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly it was as dirty as shooting black powder. Still have a small jar of it, along with 473. WST was just as bad.

12. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I used it for years.

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Probably one of my biggest disappointment in trapshooting.

I loved that powder and then they quit making it available, as well as their WW AA Super Target PAPER shells. Those were killers from the 27 for me.

I'd love to get my hands on some of the 452AA. I now use WST and Promo.

I just went over to the reloader and pulled some of the "tags" I used for it. I hung the tags on the reloader to remind me what bushings I had in the machine.

Here's what I used. I like a softer 16 yard shell, and then something that held up to what the Nitro 27 had for power, and a first shot in doubles shell.

Singles (P/W G1): 19.0 grains<BR>
    Handicap 27 (P/W J1): 22.3 grains<BR>
    1st Shot Doubles (P/W G): 18.3 grains, and a note (do not use in the Federal paper hull)

Worked well for me, but I never shot in much cold weather, so cannot comment thereon.

I used the above in AA (old style), Gold Nitros & STS hulls, using whatever primer my hand grabbed, and always used the genuine AA 1 1/8 ounce wad.

Whiz

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Federal plastic, 12S3, 21 gr of 452. One of the few powders I won a little bit with.

HM

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Whiz, I like the tags idea...

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Big-M: At one time I used to pick up those little clear plastic holders that you used to get at the oil/lube change place. They had double-stick tape on them so you'd stick them to the dash, and then insert your lube change tag in them. Now they all use the static window sticker - don't want that.

That's been a helluva long time ago, so now I make up smaller than address label size stickers, then laminate them and hole punch them. A BIG hole, so I can put it on an existing bolt on the reloader. I'm sure there's some other "out there" who have a better idea. Would like to hear about what they do.

I'd be happy to make up some of the laminated tags for you, if you'd get me your data (use email and NOT PM). I detest PM; back-and-forth, back-and-forth.

I used to build computer systems professionally, and I always chided the suppliers on why the computer case manufacturers did not build into the cases a place to hold all the OS discs, and other disc you would eventually need to resurrect a sick system. Customers would waste lots of my time trying to find this and that.

Would be a nicety if the reloader manufacturers considered it important enough to help US keep track of reloading data. Heck, that's a good idea for some industrious fellow out there to put something together and sell it to us.

Whiz

17. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I have had a drink or two, but I have to ask if all trapshooters are.............

18. senior smoke

I got a PM and the guy said 452AA caked up his Remington 1100. Suggested not to be used with semi autos? Was it ever a popular powder for trap? I don't recall this powder in my area?
    Steve

19. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

If you don't recall it, that's not because it wasn't widely used.

20. sharhope

sharhope Member

Standard target powder for me and many others in the 80's.One note-if you live in a humid area like Seattle and your powder is in those large paper drums it may have become damp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.