1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT CALIBER HANDGUN???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Loyac, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyac

Loyac Member

What's an adequate handgun/caliber for a 150 lb mountain lion in your backyard? Thanks. John

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'd want something heavy. A .44 Mag sounds like a good choice. A .41 Mag, Heavy .45 Colt, or even a heavy .357 Mag load would probably do, but I'd want the heaviest load I could carry conveniently and shoot well. In an Auto, a heavily loaded 10MM would probably work out well as a minimum. Not those loads reduced to .40 S&W velocities.

3. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Why a handgun...???? Please don't take this wrong,I'm not trying to be a smartazz...but I've done a lot of handgun hunting over the years and it occurs to me that if someone has to ask that question in the first place, they most likely don't have a lot of experience handgun shooting or handgun hunting. With all due respect then...I would suggest that out of respect for the animal, your own safety, and that of the people who might have to sort out the wounded cat after you botch your shot...perhaps you should make another choice from the outset.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Let's see - 150 lbs of cat or human - about the same weight there...

Theoretically any round you might use on a human target should be sufficient (note to self, people are killed with 22 rim fires all the time). The issue will be about shot placement relative to bullet penetration and perhaps expansion AND EXPEDIENCY.

9mm, .45, 10mm, 38/357, 357 Sig, 40 S&W - the list goes on.

If you are not sure of this I might suggest a shotgun loaded with buck shot. Spend some time learning the internal anatomy of a cat - and practicing to be certain you can hit that target.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

7.5 or 8

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Well being you said "in your back yard" I'm going to assume you have to be careful of overtravel....I would use either the 357/ 125gr or the 44/180gr and if possible I would have it in something of a carbine(not a pistol if possible at all!!)..with so much extra speed that 1 solid hit would mean an explosion inside the animal with very little chance of an exit wound...he would be anchored on the spot with either one

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

My vote is for animal control if you have the time to determine which handgun to use. If not big bore with lots of capacity

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

When I was in Texas I had a Marlin 1894 41mag lever gun filled with 170gr Sierra handloads at over 2100fps...it was used to protect my pup when I let her in the yard to do her business...the coyotes and bobcats were thick as fleas in my area...that load was a devastating lights out for the target..always dead where they stood...I shot one on a fast run away after he saw me...I hit the big female at the base of the neck at 60yds she left 4 ft of skidmarks when her nose hit the dirt. This load was great on hogs too and very accurate to boot

9. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Ive taken a few with my .357 with 158gr. JSP bullets back when I could hunt them, never needed more than that.

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Smith and Wesson 500

11. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

If the cat is hanging around the house, eventually it will get in to some trouble trying to survive. Either have it removed by wildlife professionals or my favorite cat load is #2 copper 3" mags. You probably have some laying around from the good old goose hunting days. I have killed coyotes out to 60yards with those old goose getters, the cat will be closer and they do not take much killing.
    Go Well
    Wayne

12. 100straight

100straight Member

I'm with atajohn on this one. 00 or 000 from a 10 or 12 gauge. Leave the pistol in its case.

If you have kids or grandkids that play in that backyard, I'd kill the cat. Otherwise you might as well rename little Johnny. His new name could be Bait, or Lunch, or Dinner,... well you get the idea.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

13. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

270 should do the trick just fine. Make it count as I have heard of some pretty brutal attacts from those guys. Forget the handgun and use a rifle making sure you do not endanger any neighbors.

My 1 Cent worth

KK

14. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

15. 100straight

100straight Member

The problem with a rifle up close is that the bullet may pass through without expanding. That is bad if you are where the cat can get to you.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The guys around here that hunt cats with hounds like the pistol caliber Marlin carbines. The .357 is a common choice. The skull of the cat is part of the trophy so a well placed heart shot is what they are after and they want a round that penetrates reasonably well but doesn't blow huge holes in the hide.

Sounds like you have more of a home defense problem. If it was me I would keep the 12 guage handy with a magazine full of # 4buck. Hope you can avoid any legal problems if you do need to shoot.

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A running or moving cat with a handgun off hand? Good luck Wild Bill.

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

You requestd a handgun caliber---my choice would be one of thse Howda pistols they use in India to hunt tigers. They look to be about .75 caliber.

19. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

deer slugs are about as lethal as you can get for 100yds or so.

20. Loyac

Loyac Member

Thanks to all for responding.

And yes, the cat took off with one neighbors beagle. Attacked the other neighbor's two german shepherds, killing one and tearing up the other before it was chased away. I'm afraid for my 110 lb. rottweiler who thinks he's in the same league with this cat.

A 12 ga loaded with 00 buck makes sense.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.