1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What caliber for protection??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by avidtrapshooter, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

i would say at least a .50 caliber. lol jk, i personally would like something bigger like a .45 or 9mm but even a properly placed .22 pistol can do the job so i would say its ok but if you can go bigger.

2. guido

guido Member

12 ga.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

It depends where the protection is needed. Inside of ones home, the very best choice is a 12 gauge shotgun with 3 dram 7 1/2' s. Ed

4. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

I carry a Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP loaded with Silvertips.....usually in t-shirt and shorts weather.....but IMHO a concealable .357 with 125 Gold Dots or the like is pretty hard to beat.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

5. Trapmike

Trapmike TS Member

.40 cal glock, only if i some how manage to miss with all 3 round from the 870. that being said i don't think i will miss whatever i am at with the 870 the longest shot in the house is about 12yrds.

Mike S.

6. alpine

alpine TS Member

I have seen a .32 do the job if placed right. But I personally carry a .40 caliber with 15 rounds of Hydro Shock.

I also have seen what that will do, and placement is a lot less important.

Last I heard the stats on firefights was 2.7 rounds fired at less that 7 yards.

But those stats are a few years old.

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Fortunately for me I live in New Jersey so. according to our legislators, I don't have to carry a gun for my protection.

Ed Yanchok

8. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

500 nitro express lol

9. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

In the home a 12 gauge with #1 buckshot
    For CCW - I use either a .40 or a .45 I personally do not trust a 9mm for reliable stopping.

hubcap

10. warren

warren Member

12 ga. noisy pump

warren

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

12. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I have read that the 380 is the most effective "baby round". I have looked into getting a Kel-Tec in the .380.

Forrest

13. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Agree with Warren, a noisy pump 12 gauge....but I keep a mini 14 w/2 taped clips in my closet, and a 22 auto in the night stand. I expect to shoot through the walls if need be.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The most effect cartridge for self-defense is the one you can fire accurately under stress.<br>
    <br>
    If this is a .38 or 9mm, fine.<br>
    <br>
    If this is a 357 or 45, fine.<br>
    <br>
    If you have to change to a 20ga or 12ga, fine.<br>
    <br>
    If this is a .32 or .380, fine.<br>
    <br>
    A miss from a "man stopper" is worse than a hit from a "mouse gun". You must be accurate and you must be confident with your gun. Also consider that you are 100% responsible for what happens downrange from your misses. The police may get a pass on this, but you won't.<br>
    <br>
    As to type of gun, that depends on how you function under pressure. Automatics have increased greatly in reliability over the years. Still, you need to be able to clear a failure to feed, failure to extract, dud round, stovepipe or whatever else can go wrong. Problems with revolvers are fewer, and with a double action revolver, a dud round is clear by simply pulling the trigger again. This is the actually the first criteria you should be considering - type of action - not which cartridge.<br>
    <br>
    One other consideration is how much practice you realistically are going to do - not intend - with your gun. The smaller catridges and the most powerful cartridges require more practice. The smaller ones because they require more accuracy to make up for their lack of power. The most powerful because of the recoil and muzzle blast. If you're not going to practice a lot, stick to the medium cartridges, like the .38 Special and 9mm.<br>
    <br>

15. tgene

tgene Member

Personally, I've alway felt my Seacamp .32 in my pocket is better than a large bore pistol left in the car or at home due to the inconvience of packing. That said, I prefer in this order, .45acp, .40sw, .357 mag.

16. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Kinda like shoot'n deer. Sometimes a .22 drops them and sometimes a .300 Mag will not. Back when I was a Jedi Knight I was involved in shootings where a .357 Mag failed to stop guys quick enough for my comfort level (and that was with torso shots). Also had a guy walk into police headquarters one night and calmly asked for a ride to the hospital. He had just been shot five times with a .380. Point is that NOTHING is 100% reliable. Having been around a few shootings, I would lean toward bigger caliber stuff, like 40 cal and up. Heavy recoiling magnums are not needed. Just about anyone can handle a .45ACP, .44 Special or .45 Colt.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You got that right. Back when I was in LE, one of our officers told us about a shooting he was in when he was with another department. A guy high on PCP (shows you how long ago this was) attacked him. He emptied his .357 into the perps belly. The perp still beat up this officer badly, until he finally passed out from loss of blood and died.<br>
    <br>
    Some of the dope out there turns people into superman. They're immune to body damage, at least until they run out of blood. They're so disconnected they have no clue about what they're absorbing.

18. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Don't know about Hydro-Shoks, but Glaser Safety Slugs - the fragmenting ones - are available as small as .25 ACP.

I've heard it said that your best bet, should you ever have to go to court over a shooting, is to use whatever round your local law enforcement department uses. Not always practical, but certainly it deprives the opposing attorney of some potentially devastating arguments. Juries are not the brightest, but trying to convince them of how specially deadly your rounds were is a lot harder when the local cops use exactly the same rounds.

Tony

19. DocJim

DocJim Member

Any caliber.........as long as the first number is 4 or higher.
    Jim G

20. Jack Burch

Jack Burch TS Member

This is a long standing debate. The only problem with the smaller calibers has been the lack of projectile choice. Many of those now have viable options. If you are going with a .32 is it because of size of firearm or another reason?

The best advise is to get a handgun that you will carry, always!!! After that then consider caliber. The best rule of thumb is to carry the largest caliber you can comfortably carry. I carry a full sized government model .45 Para Ordinance with 14 in the gun every day and I am not a cop. Not the most comfortable but I have gotten used to it.

As to ammo, First and foremost carry only factory ammo!! The good news is that there are many choices out there and with the frangible technology moving forward it now is a viable option. No ricochets = no fratricide. Body armor will defeat these rounds but it will also defeat most pistol calibers. That said they are devastating to flesh and bone.

When you have a subject on any kind of drug that inhibits the pain receptors it is a problem. Keep in mind Clint Smith's teaching: Plan A Response, Plan A Response, Plan B Response, RELOAD, Plan B Response, Plan C Response = Two to center of mass, stop and evaluate, repeat if necessary, if that does not work Plan B is two to the pelvis, if needed reload and hit instant replay, as a last resort to the head. Keep in mind that the head is a tough shot and you are shooting at an armor plated brain bucket and that equals a low percentage shot.

We are blessed to have many choices out there these days that fit the situation so go forth and shoot alot, carry alot and see what works the best for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.