1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What browsers do you use

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bluedevil, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Tired of all the ads, pop ups(even though I have them blocked). Use comcast and once up seems fast, thinking of Safari and even getting a Mac lap top. Need to use skype for the family back east and my compacq doesn't like skype. any advice welcomed.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Firefox and Windows Internet Explorer. HMB

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Stay away from Explorer. Macs come with Safari, which is OK, but I find some of the others easier to use.

I have used Firefox for a while, but have recently switched to Chrome.

Pick either of these two and you will be on the road to being happy. You will need to "add" or "tweak" pop-up blockers for either of these (a Google search will show you what I mean).

You might also consider a "Flash" blocker (again, Google search) to stop videos from playing automatically. Actually flash players are OK for You Tube or the like, but when they pop up on their own while reading news, etc. they can be a real pain.

New machine??

Wow - tough question - how computer friendly are you?? What do you want the machine to do??

Go on line? - then probably the Mac (safer, in general). Crunch numbers and worried about file compatibility? - then maybe a PC

Out of the box the Mac is the better, simpler machine, but you will pay more for it (up front).

You can get very reasonable PC's (you would want 2.0 GHz or faster, at least 4GB RAM, and Windows 7). once you buy this you will need to 'tweak' with programs, etc. to make it more secure (I have started to suggest MS Security Essentials - free and from MS so updated quickly - and it does not slow down the machine like McAfee, Nortons, etc.).

Hope this helps.

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Firefox, on a Mac...best way to go....never had an issue (operating system crashing) with my laptop since switching to a Mac in 2005.

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Firefox.

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

For various things I use different browsers.

I am talking solely about a Intel chipped Mac so if you are sticking with a PC (or an older PPC chipped Mac) you can ignore the remainder of this message.

For most everyday use Firefox 6.

For some applications, especially those involving Apple downloads, Safari.

I will also go to Chrome at times when some web site seems to have a problem with Firefox.

I also use SeaMonkey since it includes a couple of different windows, one of which is a web page composer application. This is what I generally use to edit the web pages I maintain for two trap leagues. This is a free download available for both Mac and PC systems. (seamonkey.com) Note that if you are using javascript, I have had some problems with Seamonkey killing the javascript.

I had been using Camino off and on but in the last year or two I have not used it at all. This was because the other browsers listed do what I need now. That was not the case a few years ago. I do not have any recent experience or information on what Camino is now doing.

One other thing you might consider if you have an Apple at both ends, is using the Facetime application. It connects two Macs (iPad, iPhone iTouch also) in a two way live interactive video/audio connection. I have just very recently started using Facetime on a limited basis and in my limited experience, it seems to work better than Skype.

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

I use a Mac and Safari. I use Skype in my business every day also us it on my iPhone and iPad. Dump the junk and get a Mac. You will never go back. A cheap way to upgrade is buy a Mac Mini. Just did this for my office. Already had the keyboards and monitors so just bough the Mini. Saves a lot.

Tom

8. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Firefox

9. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

I want to surf a little, look up Google maps a lot and use Skype to talk to the kids back East and e-mail of course, that's about it. Skype works one day then won't for a week then works just fine for a few hours, weird!

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Firefox and Ad Blocker Plus.

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Don't love it but it's Windows 7 Professional and IE 9. Works fine for my basic requirements. Nothing on the computer that I can't afford to lose.

Eric

12. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Firefox on a MAC!

SW

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Safari on 2 Macs.

14. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

IE on XP and no pop ups for me. Tried Fire Fox (Mozilla) once, did not like it, and had to do a system restore to switch back to IE. Ray

15. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

I'm fairly happy with xp but skype is really bugging me. I have tried it with and without insatlling drivers and setup, no luck. Looked up on Google about problems, tried many of them, no luck. When I plug the webcam in to any port it comes on then starts blinking and freezes the mouse, as soon as I unplug it all is fine. Ticks me off, probably something simple.

16. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Google Chrome gets my vote.

One of my favorite features is the easy bookmark sync tool that is embedded into it. Just link it to your gmail account and your home and work machine (and any other mcahine, even the new Android tablets) will have synced bookmarks. Firefox and IE can sync bookmarks but not as slick as Chrome does.

17. psfive

psfive Member

Chrome or Fire Fox depending on what I'm doing. Paul in Nebraska.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.