1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Breed of Hunting Dog ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blade819, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

After putting down our Golden a few years ago, my wife and I are thinking about another dog. We're looking for more of a house dog but also to train to bird hunt. The problems we have are 1) not wanting to go through the puppie stage and 2) we live on the side of a mountain with no flat running land. I guess we're loooking for a young partially trained, excellent disposition and loving dog. Any recommendations?

blade819

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Depends on the kind of hunting. Hard to go wrong with a lab.

Bob

3. adhumston

adhumston TS Member

Look into the Ryman type English setters if you're wanting a pointing breed. They make excellent house dogs and companions, are remarkably intelligent, and in my opinion are the most beautiful pointing dogs. However, as with any dog, breeding means a lot. Doing your research and perhaps spening a little more money initially can go a long ways. Here's a few breeders I've talked with and even owned dogs from and highly recommend;

October Setters [http://octobersetters.com/]

Aspen Patch Setters [http://aspenpatchsetters.com/]

Setter Hills [http://setterhills.com/]

Good Go Ing sporting dogs [http://www.goodgoing.com/]

Pinecoble Kennels in NY (can't find a link).

One thing to be careful with when choosing a Ryman type dog is the hips. You really only want to purchase dogs/pups that have been OFA certified (or the parents have). Good luck with your search and have fun with your future dog!

Aaron

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Hard to beat a Springer Spaniel, great with kids, loves to sit on your lab and will work it's fool head off looking for birds.

5. tudurgs

tudurgs Member

If flushers are your game, find a field trial dropout Springer. Typically the dropouts are nicely trained, but just are not flashy or fast enough to win in the trial game. Those dogs make great gun dogs.

John

6. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

We have two English Springer Spaniels and they are the most affectionate dogs I have ever owned (had labs and chessies before the springers).

One of our Springers is a hard-driving rock star in the field and being steadied for trials. He was rather over-powered in the house when a pup, but still very affectionate. Our second Springer is a 4 month old pup and so affectionate he can drive you a little nuts. He is very calm in the house. Loves to retrieve clipped wings.

I second the advice on a field trial drop out. Find a Springer training group near you and go watch their dogs train. They can point you at local breeders.

Another benefit of the Springers is with quality food they shed very little compared to a lot of dogs. This really surprised me when we started with them, as their hair is not so short.

Send me a PM if you want to be put in contact with any of the breeders I know.

7. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Love them black labs! All of ours have been truly man's best friend.

8. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

Brittanies get my vote.

Ron

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Ran field trial springers for 40 years. No better dog for running birds. Easy to train, affectionate, easy to transport, soft mouth, one of the few dogs to retrieve dove. Not for harsh weather or breaking ice,,, leave that up to the big boys - labs, chessies, etc. The other nice thing about springers is that they are great with kids. Once trained they stay trained. Important to get one from a proven field trial breeder... not show breeder. Get a copy of Spaniels in the Field. Fred

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Springers are the best but you need young legs. Smaller droppings than Labs but hairier. Pointers were always best for sitting hens or preserve birds. Springers will always get 'em up but test your shooting skills. They really showed their abilities on wild birds.

Anyone see those in PA in the past 30 years!!

11. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Boykin Spaniel!

The little dog that doesn't rock the boat!

http://www.boykinspaniel.org/

SW

12. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

Hi and thanks for making this post. I have had irish setters for many years. I dont recommend them as hunters, but you can get what is called a RED SETTER. There is a website called The Flushing Whip which details what is going on with the breed and they have their own field trials. I strongly recommend the red. They are of better breeding for the task at hand.

Thanks again,

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Blade come on down to Mossy Pond Retrievers to get you a hunting dog. We have a lodge and five stand presently and hope to have a a overlaid skeet/trap field installed in the next couple of months. Pull it up on the internet for some pictures and Give Brad Arrington(the owner) a call. The club is located in Patterson Georgia and I live about ten miles from it. I enjoy shooting there but also love to watch them work the dogs. Jackie B.

14. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

+1 for Boykins.

15. rdf59

rdf59 Member

John,
    Read Shooting Sportsman several issues ago. There were two choices. The one that needs the least space for running and will be a wonderful companion is the Black Lab. For our area, that's the dog -- hands down.

I have the dog from the range. It's a Plott Hound and is very affectionate, but you will need a fenced in area, which you can't provide unless you buy a small ranch in Hayesville. I will be happy to give it to you.

Get a Black Lab. Very low maintentence, very loyal, very affectionate and not rangy. I've owned lots of dogs and at my advanced age (you will get there) its the dog of choice -- for a combination of field and water.

16. rdf59

rdf59 Member

John,
    Forgot to mention, Plott Hounds are great Wild Boar and Bear hunters.

17. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

English Cocker Spaniels. Happy, friendly, loves a field as much as he loves sitting on momma's lap.
    [​IMG]

18. knobcreek

knobcreek Member

Now how can you want to skip the puppy stage? Furniture is so boring without little teeth marks. It's frustrating going through it but I'd do it all over again in a minute. Gator's puppy stage went way too fast.
    [​IMG]

19. missed some

missed some TS Member

If im huntin birds..brittany for me...fur its gotta be a redbone..but brittanies could do that too.

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yorkies.

We use'em as bait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

english springer field trial drop out

thread hunting breed irish setter