1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT BREED OF DOG IS THE SMARTEST???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Setterman, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Toss up between a Draht Haar and a Ryman Setter.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

My Austrailian Shepard.....

Curt

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Believe it or not I read that it's a standard sized poodle.

I remember the day I was out crabbing with my brother, father and our poodle, "Daisy." My father knocked over a bushel of very angry crabs. Daisy was the first one of us to abandon ship.

She swam back to shore while we all got bitten.

4. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Yellow labs..........Gary L.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Standard poodle. they were the first hunting dogs, I am told. The one I saw was smarter than my hunting partner.

HM

6. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

One more picture try...Yellow lab.

7. BMC

BMC Member

From my experience, herd dogs such as the Queensland Heeler and Australian Shepard are the smartest.

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

If poodles were so smart, they would rip the throat out of anyone giving them one of those poodle cuts.

I have had 4 Australian Shepherds. They are as smart as a dog needs to be and are very easily trained.

One of my key goals in life is to spoil my dog on a continuing basis. I am pretty darn successful at too.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Most dogs will "fetch;" that's true, but only German Shepherds walk back like this . . .

[​IMG]

Neil

10. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Yeah, but does he like to fish?

11. hairy

hairy TS Member

Drive?

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

German Shepherd's

13. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

grunt,

German Shepherd's what?

Let the dog post. lol

14. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Well I have a Min Pin that can read OUR minds. That includes all of us in the family (4).
    Don

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

So-Cal Urban Coyote

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I don't know ezackly what brand this dog is but he's sure to be the smartest I've seen!

<a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/HapMecTweaks/?action=view&current=cid_00c901c7523050b167a044f6cd18Cam.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Hap

17. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

Smart dogs are a pain in the butt to train... They not only learn how to do all of the tricks that bring rewards, they also learn when they don't really have to do what you're telling them to do. Dumb and loyal have always seemed like better traits :).

We had a great dane that had a knack for figuring out mechanical devices. He could turn doorknobs with his mouth (the round ones, not just the lever-type) and open doors and gates with great skill. It would take him less than an hour to figure out how to open every kind of covered trash can we ever found (step levers, buttons, latches, whatever). He even developed a taste for beer and learned the necessary skill of opening bottlecaps with his teeth. He used to love visiting houses with refrigerators that dispense ice and water through the door (self-service on ice cube treats). The dog is long gone and I still won't own a fridge with that feature. It was a never-ending saga of trying to find ways to keep him out of trouble. He was very easy to housebreak and was great at obedience skills when he knew you were holding a treat or were close enough to catch him and administer punishment, but also knew very well when nobody was going to catch him doing "something".

Our other danes have been the dumb and loyal types, and were much easier to live with.

--Dan

18. wam6187

wam6187 TS Member

I had a couple of Standard Schnauzers that were pretty smart cookies.

Bill

19. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

The smartest dog in the world is Fred. He is a spotted Bristol Terrier. Has black back, grey beard, white legs (4) and one testical. The last might be why he is so smart. Regards Smif

20. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

They say border collie. I have had several poodle mix dogs that were too smart for their own good. My labrador is a wonderfull dog, but she isn't too smart. She still gets tangled up in her leash and she is 12 years old. My little poodle mix had that leash thing figured out about the second time she was on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.