1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Brand Sump Pump is Best?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jm1079, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

My Wayne sump pump failed me today when it would not switch on. Fortunately I have one of those battery powered backups. Need to get a reliable sump pump. May I ask for opinions, advice, inputs that can help me decide what to get? Thanks all. JM

2. build4u

build4u Member

Zoeller. I have been building cutom homes for 35 years.

3. serjon

serjon TS Member

build4u is right, Zoeller`s are the best.

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Any particular model? I need only a 1/2 hp model at the most. JM

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Zoeller 53D I think it is. 1/3 HP. Ours is 8 years old, During one rainy stretch it had to cycle continuously for 9 months straight. Never missed a beat. Last time I bought one they were around $125 - worth every penny. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

6. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

As above, pick up a switch kit for it too, when it goes out you won't have to shop for one. Harv

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with Zoeller or Myers pumps. I sold them both when working a LOT of years for a wholesale plumbing supply store. "Keenan Supply" Sold just about all the big name pumps and the Zoeller's and Myers had the least amount of trouble than any I sold. You might want to check your GPM requirements, length of run (pipe) and your total head pressure to determine the best pump for your needs...... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Have they improved the float switch on the Zoellers? My sump pump that I need to replace is a Wayne, and it is the switch that failed. Need a brand that has a durable switching system, if there is such a thing. JM

9. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

More buyers....buy Myers !!!!!!...Company slogan for years...Ashland Ohio

10. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

One of the manufacturers told me that they only average about 5 years. I told him mine was 7 when it failed. He said that I got my money's worth. My basement still flooded. So you may have one that is 7 or 8 years old but they are just an accident waiting to happen. And your homeowners insurance does not cover your sump pump quitting unless you have a special policy rider.

At least State Farm does not cover damage to your basement if it fails unless you have a special sump pump rider and it is limited to a certain amount anymore.

11. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Whatever brand you choose, hard wire it to the power source. Don't rely on just plugging it in.Too many times I have seen them un-plugged by some one to use the outlet. Then that person forgets to plug the sump pump back in......

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have had good luck with Wayne but also have a battery back-up on top of it. You know the main pump is going to fail at the "just the right time" I bought the last one from amazon.com.

I bought a switch replacement kit for one that failed, don't bother, not worth it. Called the Wayne Co, guy told me the switches have a shelf life, rubber developes a memory and won't operate properly. I tried it anyway, he was right.

I use Waynes in our trap houses too, no problems.

I am getting around five years out of a pump. I'm sure other brands are good too but this is my experience.

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Check the flow rate for the height required to discharge the water out of your basement. Too little flow rate at that height will still allow flooding in the basement because it can't get rid of the water fast enough.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

While you fellas are on the sump pump subject, I have a couple of questions. What is the best back-up system? I currently do not have a back-up and have had several close calls from power outages during heavy rain storms to actual pump failures. My basemet is finished and fully furnished. I'd sure hate to have to re-do it again.

I looked at a system at Lowes and it appeared to use a Marine battery to power the system. The thing that worried me about it was the pump seemed quite small like a small boat bilge pump. I did like that the system appeared to have an audible alarm to notify you when the back-up was running so you can address the reason for the main pump failure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, I have always used Wayne sump pumps. I get on an average of (7) years out of them. It seems most often the float switch actually rusts into. I write the install date on a piece of tape on the line exiting the pump so I can prepare for a failure. Do you think the Zoeller or Myers will give me more than (7) years service?

Matt

15. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I bought one from sears. They have one that is lifetime guarantee. free replacements. Just save the receipt. if it goes bad take it back and they give you a new one no charge.

16. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I built this house in 78. I got 25 to 30 years out of the orginial sump pump. Since then I have been having to replace the pump every 2-1/2 years. I've been buying em at Home Depot with a 2 year guarntee. They last a couple of months passed the warranty then kick the bucket. LOL

I can change a sump out in about a half hour and most of that is finding the tools.

Elevate the pump off the sump pit a little, I put a couple of paving bricks under the sides of the pump which raises it 1-1/2 off the sump floor.

I guess my point is - the first sump pump put in 1978 was pre China junk, anything now purchased at one of the big box stores is going be China junk that you can plan on replacing every few years.

Good luck.

17. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

grntitan, they make a sump that runs off your city water if the power goes off. Wouldn't work for me as I'm on well water.

18. 100straight

100straight Member

Bell & Gossett sump pumps are made in USA. Here's a link.

Mark

19. 1903

1903 Member

I have had my Zoeller for 22 years. Back then it was probably $150.00. All cast iron, probably weighing 15 pounds. It has the mercury floating switch. For the first 15 years it ran all the time, probably running every 3 minutes. Never missed a beat. Will recommend only Zoellers. How many other people had other brand pumps last this long??? John...........

20. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Check out the Zoeller where to buy web page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best sump pump forums

compare sump pump brands

meyers vs zoeller sump pumps

myers vs zoeller sump pump

myers vs zoeller sump pumps

sump pump brands

wayne vs zoeller sump pump

zoeller pumps vs myers