1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**** What Brand of Hand wrenches?? ******

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WesleyB, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

What brand of Hand wrenches and socket do you guys think are the best and toughest. This excludes snap-on and matco... to me they are way over priced.

I need to buy a few more tools... my old thorsens are all wore out... I use double boxend wrenches extra long and 6 point sockets also... and long combination wrenches (open and box)
    Socket drivers for 1/4 to 3/4 inch drives

Thanks
    Wesley

2. 3357

3357 Member

I have been happy with Craftsman for many years.

3. revbook

revbook Member

My Craftsman mechanics tools have always served me well and the warranty covers everything except loss.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with the one from Home Depot (Husky) and Lowes (Kobalt).

I bought sets to leave in the car, and quite frankly they get more work than the Snap-On ones in the garage.

They are well balanced, not overly heavy/bulky, and often can be picked up at a great price.

I prefer them over the now heavy Craftsman tools Sears sells.

I give the Kobalt ones a slight edge in that they often come in nice 'kit' sets.

Both have lifetime warranties.

5. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have Snap-on for my shop, but Craftsman is what I have in my pick-up.The have good warranty and replacement. Charlie

6. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I have had too many Kobalt tools that were mis-sized, or just didn't work, that I won't buy them. Craftsman seems to be good value for the money. If I were a pro, I'd go with SnapOn, they are instruments rather than tools.

K

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

S & K, just as good as Snap on, Sears are great too. I have a lot of Cornwells but not sure if they are still made

8. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I prefer Craftsman hand tools as I believe they are very well made and there is no problem replacing broken tools at Sears. For pipe wrenches, Ridgid is the only way to go. They too promise a lifetime guarantee but its tough to get a replacement from them. Larry

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

SK. Best most comfortable fine tooth ratchet wrench in the industry and good quality sockets and wrenches. I've been using mine for 40+ years and they are still serving me well.

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I like my Craftsman and I got a few Snap on tools that are nice. . Anymore it really doesn't make any difference because the guy (me) behind the tool isn't up to the job anymore. LOL I need a tool that has it own eyes and is flexible enough to lay on the ground and reach into places that the guy behind the tool can't do anymore.

And what's the deal with light bulbs anymore? A hundred watt bulb now only puts out the light a 30 watt bulb did 15 years ago??????

11. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

In my shop we use Snap-on, Cornwell, Armstrong, and Proto. All are quality tools with some over 40 years old. But I have to agree, Craftsman tools are still the best bang for the buck.

12. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I support Sears/Craftsman, as they really support our troups. If Sears don't have it, I don't need it. F/S.

13. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I mean Troops. Fingers work faster than brain.

14. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I had forgotten about Proto and S-K tools. Cornwell and Armstrong tools I have never heard of but will search them out tonight.. I have a few Snap-On tools myself for special applications. The Truck comes through on thursdays if i need something. Grew up on thorsen wrenchs but did some reading and quality went down after it went over seas for production and I believe they are not made anymore.
    I have purchased a few Craftsman hear lately and they seem to be good. I need to get a good catalog from them... Looking online is too time consuming how they them nested in the search. Easy to find sets but sometimes i believe who ever put those sets together never worked on anything in their life!! When i say a set, I mean from the smallest up to 2" combo wrenches and sockets etc.

You can buy special sets on sale but the individual tools you have to buy to finish out a set gets totally out of control on pricing.

Searching tonight and thanks for your inputs on tools

WesleyB

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Just walked into Sears tonight on my way to the store. Handed him a 1/4 drive ratchet. Walked out about 3 minutes later. No paperwork no nothing, just a new ratchet. I have my first set, bought in 1957, none of them has ever been replaced.

And they're open till 9 every night.

(The Wards Powr-Kraft were OK too.)

I also have a small socket set in a tin box, the drive size seems to be 5/16, the Craftsman logo painted inside the tin is Yellow and Blue. From my Dad, that's one old set.

HM

16. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

matco are also very good along with cornwall. I really like sears and the guarantee can not be beat. don;t have to chase a truck down the street to get a replacement

17. psfive

psfive Member

For pipe wrenches Rigid is the only way to go. I broke a 24" 90 degree offset right where the adjustment ring turns. Your Rigid dealer is the key to replacement wrenches. I had my new one in two days. Paul in GINebraska.

18. quartering

quartering Active Member

anything made in america, most of which weren't named here. good luck with it

19. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Go to any auction it is Snap-On and Craftsman that always bring top dollar.

So when I pick up a new tool at Sears while the Queen shops there for clothes, I tell her I am investing in the future of our heirs.

20. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Lowe's cobalt is 100% Chinese an I think Craftsmen is now Chinese. Buy stuff made here-I always ask the store manager what choice are you giving me w/ made in the USA products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.