1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Barrel lenghts and chokes!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by zerafa, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

Dear friends,

First of all may all of you and your families have the best year ever 2008::

I am pretty new in this hobby of guns, clay shooting, hunting etc., I bought a 12gauge, luigi Franchi gun with a 28" barrel, semi auto, Magnum barrel,and takes external choke, would like somebody to explain to me in the easyest way what difference does long and short barrells do and where is the actual difference beside the lenght and what does the chokes actually do beside that they close the pattern!!
    ANY SMALL OR BIG INFORMATION IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED!

THANKS GUYS

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Don't get too wrapped up with barrel length and choke. Most trap shooters like 30-34 inch barrels because they tend to swing smoother and it is a little more difficult to stop their swing (ie. better follow through). But a 28 inch barrel will break birds as well as a longer barrel if the barrel is pointed correctly.

Trap chokes- An IM or tighter will work fine for trap. Just go out and and shoot some trap and have fun.

Pat Ireland

3. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

Was talking about my field gun!!

:)

4. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

Any help????????

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

You have asked and answered your own question on the chokes.

Regarding length of barrel it is really a matter of what do you prefer and what you swing better. If your a little short stubby person a 32" barrel could be far to long and cumbersome for you and if your a tall lanky scruffy person a 28" barrel may be to short and whippy for you. Barrel length is really up to what the shooter can handle.

Most field guns are 28" even though a few can be had with a 30" or longer. No matter what your shooting your barrel length should be just fine.

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Like the Lumper said, if you're a real swinger, the longer the barrel the better! Yeahhhhhhh......just kidding! Listen to the Lumper!

7. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

does it effect the velosity of the shells?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.