1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what banks at the GRAND?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Jul 16, 2013.

1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

What banks at the Grand do the Big dogs like?

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bank of America, Chase, Wells Fargo, and the 1St State Bank of Sparta just to name a few ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I like any with numbers evenly divisible by three or seven. They are both lucky numbers, after all. Bank 21 is really magic but the big dogs always get it due to preferential squadding.

Neil

5. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Neil, 21 is too close to the Indiana line for me. Takes too long to get back to the root beer float guy. Harv

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Reserving this spot for a snyde comment to come later..:)

7. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Bank 21??????

8. Neil Winston

1.Because if you are camped near the event center, low numbers are a reasonable distance away and if camped on the eastern areas, the higher numbers are especially convenient.

2. If you are on a low number for singles it would be a pain to have an uncaring computer which, after all, doesn't have to move, put you on the other end for handicap and then run you back for doubles. A person can see that and do it right.

3. People who don't care can simulate the computer if they want. The ones who want to be about here or about there can make that possible too. What's the problem?

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Why does it matter what banks the "Big Dogs" like? Why not shoot where you like? I've shot on a vast majority of them at Sparta and can tell you that none of them are terrible. There are some I like better than others but never has the bank # been the cause of my poor shooting.

Just Say'n......

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I especially like the one with the farmhouse. The lady opens the door and ......

11. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

WPT- Bank of America needs to be shot.

12. smsnyder

Don't like bank one. There is a road down the middle of it.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

There isn't a road down the middle of it but there is one off to the left side of it. That said, for the last few years they have not used the first Bank(4 trap houses) for competition. The first Bank is now Bank 2.

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Last year I couldn't shoot the Grand but wanted to be there, so I volunteered to help out and they put me to work for Tom and Barb in the Event Center. It was very interesting to experience the individual and collective thinking of shooters as they chose their banks. I have observed these patterns.

I was surprised to find that the younger shooters (the AIM and SCTP kids) want the banks west of the E. C., for the most part. They also don't mind the traps just east of the practice traps.

Some shooters don't like the traps right in front of the "mobile vendors" area, citing that they didn't like the hubbub and noise there. I've shot there many times and I never noticed noise from that hubbub but that's beside the point.

I've seen the 'so called' Top Shooters shoot all over the place but there was a mild preference for the early "teens". I like those too but even with early presquadding rarely get them.

Some shooters play the "Bank Game" like chess and are constantly visiting the squadding desk several times a day and trying to change what they were dealt by the pre-squad process. They are a bit of a pain in the buttocks and after 10 days of it. We "Squad Monkeys" would start rolling our eyes and elbowing each other when these particular folks would walk through the front doors. We all knew them well by the end of the shoot. I do understand their reasoning though, this being the World Championships and all ... and I'm not paying for their targets, soooo we just smiled and did our very best to give them what they asked for.

Then there's the "I'm more important than anybody else" shooters who want what they want and will do anything they can to try to bully you into giving them "special treatment" that we didn't have the authority to give. I had two guys last year that I told to pick another line because the way my screen worked, "I" was unable to help them as they requested. I didn't enjoy that much. I now know why some folks get their hamburgers spit in when they make it difficult for the server at the fast food restaurants. I couldn't think of an equivalent revenge in this situation but now have more empathy for the fast food kids.

I found that the smartest shooters (in my opinion) didn't place as much emphasis on where they shot as to the optimum TIMES to shoot. Lighting was their greatest concern and I guess if I were the guy that picked my own squad's schedule, I would do the same.

......and finally, there's the great majority of the shooters who are just glad to be there and understand that we "Squad Monkeys" we're doing the best we could to make their experience as enjoyable as possible. By-the-way, the shooters who treated us the nicest and with the greatest respect, were the ones that we all would bend over backward to help.

I wish all who attend the greatest trapshooting event in the world Good Luck and Have Fun.

Ex-Squad Monkey, BCRoach.

15. PSA #33

PSA #33 Member

I LIKE THAT...

16. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Well said Barry.

Tom Strunk

17. Neil Winston

Garry, no, I am not saying convenience trumps equality since you have made no case that the way the system works now is unfair. What I am saying is that convenience is a big thing when it's hot as it sometimes is in Sparta and was sometimes in Vandalia too.

Why would you think that the present system is unfair? Shooters who want some place or time have had access to pre-squadding for a month now. It only costs a dollar per post and that's cheap compared to most places.

At Vandalia (even though I thought everything was good except the very west end with a car problem) pre-squadding was very popular. Not so now. My guess is that (based on the last few years) almost everyone will squad at the Grand, partly because the system developed by Bob Stuart was so easy to use and there were so many terminals to get the job done. Remember standing in line outside the CEB starting at dawn so you could spend a couple of hours in more lines inside?

People who want spots can get them or something close. There is room at Sparta to give people choices. People should like it and apparently do, since I've heard no "unfairness" complaints at all and if we did "random" most people would hate it because it would be less convenient. Why do that to our member-customers? To address a "problem" which is no problem?

Did you pre-squad on June 15th and find that what you wanted was fully booked? And remember, if you did and found bank 21, which you had your heart set on, had already been snatched by big dogs for the whole Grand, random squadding would only have raised your chances of getting it (on each event) from zero to about 1 in 25. Isn't getting something near that most of the time better?

Neil

18. Neil Winston

Garry, when the Minnesota State Shoot goes on line on presquad.com, some shooters apparently haunt their keyboards until midnight and grab just what they want. I find nothing wrong with that, since two weeks later when I wander in there's still plenty to choose from. I've never thought I lost a target because someone got a "better" spot but if they want to make the effort, I think they should be rewarded and I guess they are, from their point of view, at least.

If I were staying some distance from Sparta I'd hate it if a computer put me in squad 1 since it would be harder to get there on time. Likewise, if I didn't think I would be in a shoot-off I wouldn't much like something real late.

Pre-squadding lets me get something more to my liking and I don't care where I shoot, Getting something that works me is far, far more important than worrying that this or that All-American got what he wants too. In fact, I think we would have many more unhappy people than we have now since all you have to do is start early and you will be OK, pretty-much.

The people Barry wrote about, obsessing about location as they do, are just silly from my point of view since they would do better if they spent the time they waste in the Event Center at the practice traps. The idea that I should get jacked around to make them happy is just nonsense, I say. Besides, with random squadding, they would be in there more, not less.

You have not made clear what's unfair about the present system that rewards people who want to make special efforts and leaves everyone else alone to go shoot, which is what they came for.

Neil

19. Neil Winston

While I'm sure, Garry, that the solution your duck club worked out is ideal in that situation, you still have yet to explain what's unfair about present system at the Grand. So unfair, that is, that it outweighs all the advantages of doing it the way we do.

Neil

20. smsnyder

I want bank 21. LOL