1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what are your thoughts on...savage 300 win mag

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vdt, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vdt

vdt Active Member

i have read on here about savage rifles ,what are you thoughts on savage 300 win mag.for moose,are there any features in different models i should look for ...thank you

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

That will do it...my preference though would be a 338WM if you are going to use for stuff in that size range, es...the Savage part is a winner,..best rifle for the money out there

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Moose are pretty easy to kill. Not near as tough as an elk. I would like a 300 msag plus put just because you are usally in brown bear country when you hunt Moose. jeff

4. CalvinMD

I am a levergunner to the core...if I get to go after Bullwinkle...its going to be my 444 Marlin or 45-70 with heavy hardcast or Swift Aframes doing the cookie cutting

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'll sell you a brand new Weatherby MK-V 300 WIN MAG for $799!!

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I'd go for the .338WM also...it'll do everything a 300 will do and more...

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If punching big holes is the object, why not a Weatherby .460?

How much power does one need to kill brown bears or moose? Sounds as though some are saying the Win. .300 mag isn't gun enough?

The Eskimos kill Polar bears with .222s, up close and personal of course.

The Savage .300 Win mag can harvest any North American big game animal with room to spare.

Hap

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Savage makes a pretty darn good rifle-

I have had several Weatherby's also and plenty of Remingtons- and know they are good

That Weatherby offered above seems like an attractive buy-- the bolt throw is smoother than a savage and shorter- and it certainly isnt as ugly as a savage

There are some pretty cheap savages out there though

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Savage is no problem. The 300 Win Mag should do fine with the right bullet selection. There are many other caliber selections that would work, but a 30-06 would do the trick too. 338 Mag is a good selection as would be something like the 35 Whelan. Savage in 300 Win Mag will do fine, just as would fifty other cartridge/rifle combinations. Personally I would prefer a big slug at a lower velocity. That's just me. 45-70 or 45-90 with a 405 grain slug moving along like a freight train. Up close and personal and you really get to connect to your game. Saw one go down from a hit with an old Lyman Plains rifle in 58 cal with a minnie ball (new at the time). I wished I had a slo mo video of that one, but it was way before portable video cameras were affordable. Anchored was the word I used to describe it.

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The 338 was designed to shoot Brown bears which is why it was known as the 338 alaskan for a time. Hap.. I mean you no disrespect but people who shoot Brown bears on a regular basis seldom choose any gun less then a .338 Winchester magnum. It's just not the place to try and prove a point. I suspect you could kill the biggest brown bear on earth with the right shot from a 30-30 but I wouldn't want to be the guide with that client. Jeff

11. CalvinMD

Heck yeah...I'd do a Big Brownie with a 30-30...Buffalo Bore has some new ammo out..190 hard cast with a wide plat nose at 2100...might take two shots but that still leaves you 4 in a Marlin

12. Hap MecTweaks

Jeff, the .338 Alaskan was a name hung on the Winchester model 70 as an exciting selling point. Both of these rifle calibers (as well as many others) will kill Brownies with deadly regularity.

Hap

13. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

The .300 Win Mag is completely capable of killing a moose, but they are very easy to kill, as noted above by SuperXJeff. The last one I took was with a .308 BLR using Remington Corelokt 180 grain PSP. One shot in the lungs at 110 yards, and down it went. If you are in brown bear country, once the moose is down, then someone sits off a few yards with a rifle, and guards you while you gut and quarter. For this, I would prefer a .338 with 225 grain bullets, in the hands of a cool shooter.
    The .300 usually uses a 180 grain bullet, whereas the .338 standard is 225 grains. These are very similar in their trajectories (.87 " difference at 500 yards), but the retained energy of the .338 with 225 grain bullet at 150 yards is the same as the 180 grain .300 at the muzzle. There is basically no difference in trajectory all the way out to 500 yards, which is far beyond the average shooters capabilities, but the .338 has 21% more retained energy on the target at that range.
    That performance comes at a price, with recoil being somewhat stout. A factory 200-225 grain load is something you have to get used to, but it can be easily done. To me, the 225 grain load feels like a hot loaded 180 grain 30-06 in a light rifle. A hot 250 or 300 grain handload will open your eyes and make you wonder what you have let yourself in for, so if you are recoil sensitive, it is probably best to stick to factory type loads of up to 225 grains. A good recoil pad,and/or a muzzle brake is a good idea with any of these loads, for a shooter not used to shooting heavy recoiling firearms.
    My own Savage is a Model 116 in .338. It is a stainless synthetic model, with fluted barrel, integral muzzle break, AccuTrigger, and Leupold 3x9-40mm scope. Other than the action screw coming loose and creating a free flopping barrel effect, I have had no problems and would recommend it to anyone. The screw was coated in red LocTite, cranked down, and has given no problems since. It has been dependable in temperatures a low as 35 below, and as high as 70. If I do my part, it will shoot 1 1/2" groups at 200 yards all day with factory ammunition. I prefer the stainless over blue, just because I find it easier to take care of in the field, without the rust problems of blued firearms.
    Savage is probaby the most gun for the money that you will find, so feel comfortable buying one.

14. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Calvin,

I agree only I kind of like the Mod 71. The .348WCF is tremendous. That and 45/70 have probably killed more large game than all the Magnums produced.

RW

15. Hap MecTweaks

Maybe the better suggestion to those wanting such a rifle is to shoot them first? It's far better to have a rifle you can shoot accurately rather than the latest Mag craze on the market? There's not many shooters on the rifle ranges that can handle the .dandy .338 Win Mag!

Hap

16. CalvinMD

I'm with you on that RW..I'm not into super long shots but a good hardcast or all gilding metal bullit in anything 338 Marlin or bigger would give me all the confidence and firepower I would need for anything walking this continent...my favorite is my 444 these days..a good hard 265 grain with 4 backups will stop a tank if needed...but they seldom are..its got a perfect one shot kill record ..this is my old M-375...gotta love those big bullits..always 2 holes for 1...in and out!
    calvinmd_2008_030383.jpg

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Hap, i have built both a .338 win mag and a .416 remington. I never fired either gun until after the muzzle brake was installed. I really don't like to shoot a .300 Win mag without a brake. I have a family memeber who builds all my rifles and he was a special ops guy in the 60's. He is just tough. he can shoot groups without a brake. I can't. My 300 is capablre of 1/4 to 3/8 MOA.If I shoot it without the brake the best I can do it 1 inch/ 1 moa. Big guns are not foe the faint of heart or at least not for the guy who isn't willing to do what it takes to soften them up. My big guns are heavy. As my father in law is fond of saying.. " If you think the guns heavy, You really are in for a suprise when you get an elk down" We hunt wilderness area and no wheels are allowed.Jeff

18. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

What is everyone's opinion/experience on using semi-autos in these heavy calibers? Just a question, I have no experience in this area.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Dave, check out the Browning BARs. They were first to offer a semi-auto rifle capable of handling chamber pressures generated by centerfire rifles. They offer several popular mag calibers including the .338 mag. Accuracy is plenty good too and the reduced recoil is a bonus. If I was to recommend a big mag cal to the average hunter, it would be a semi-auto of sorts because of the recoil Jeff mentions. Probably a BAR with the Boss system.

I met a fellow from VA in a camp in Colo on my elk hunting trip years back. He killed a nice bull with his BAR, a .300 Win Mag that trip, his 4th bull with that gun. The last day of the season I also got a huge 6x6 bull with my 30.06. My bull wore out 4 guys and 5 horses getting him back to camp, rough country! I sold my 30.06 and bought a Sako .300 Win mag after that hunt.

Hap

20. RDM

RDM TS Member

My Savage 243 don't compare to a 300 win mag., but I really like the Savage rifle. Mine is stainless with a black stock. Savage makes a nice rifle, the adj. trigger helps a bunch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can the boss be put on a savage 110 300 win mag with a bull barrel

working up a load for savage 110 300 win mag