1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your chokes for doubles?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starshot2b, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Just curious.

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

Light modified and modified. Light 9's in both.

3. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

a lot of it depends on your preference of shell, Personally would'nt go any lighter than 8's, My loads are light 1 ounce 8's (1150 fps) both shots. choked .020 and .030 shoot often/shoot well

4. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

I/M and full in my old C. Daly. No choice.........

If using a tubed gun, I use skeet and modified.

In my autos, modified.

Ric C.

5. JJM64

JJM64 TS Member

I use the Singles (Improved Modified) choke supplied with my 1100 Classic Trap.

6. JRW

JRW Member

Imp. mod bottom, full on top. Jerry

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

M and F, because that's how the used O/U I just bought came. If I had my choice I'd shoot LM and IM.

8. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Full & Full 1 ounce of 8's on both shots

9. ramen39

ramen39 Member

Improved modified and light full. 1 oz. 8's

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

.008 and .023. HMB

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I've used different combinations, right now I'm using factory tubes------IC (.010") & IM (.030") in my new Beretta 687. 1 oz #8 @1180 & 1 1/8 oz #8 @1145. I'm still experimenting with what works with this gun, IC for the first shot sounds a little loose but it seems to really smoke the targets. Partly I think the proper choke to use depends on how fast you shoot?

John C. Saubak

12. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Read the either March or April issue of Trap and Field. There was a article with comments from the some of the top shooter in the sport. Average said a
    18 to 24 conscription first barrell and 28 to 32 second. But shell selection does have a consideration. But if you do not have a copy of these issues suggest you look around. Someone will lend them to you. - Jim

13. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I think each poster should also list his average with his/her choke and shell selection so a proper evaluation can be made.

I shot a Winchester Super-X with a Sietz barrel, .32 thousands constriction. Usually shot Federal plastic Extra Lite 81/2's for first shot and Federal Light 71/2 second shot. Avg. .97

Tom Strunk

14. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I was just curious what people used; we all seem to have our particular setups - averages are not necessary.

15. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

.015 and .026 with 1oz 8's at 1180 fps.

Eric

16. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

But Sherree, averages _are_ necessary, just as Tom asserts. Why would you want to know the exact setup of someone who can't hit much? Or, more to the point, if AA's use one, lesser shooters another, you might be able to find out what works best if you can't aim the gun very well and what works best if you can. (Though it's my guess that the people who can't point the gun are no better at choosing chokes.) Andrew Jones' program predicts that the two constrictions are different. But be warned: Dr. Jones predicts a better score, not a winning score, and for that you had better listen to the AA's.

Neil

17. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Thanks Mr. Winston. I have my own setup which works just fine for me; I was just curious. Pardon my curiosity and be thankful it was not another question asking about 16's or 'caps instead or better yet, 7-1/2's or 8's.

Thanks all for your responses.

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I think we should have a rule that only AA 27 AA shooters can post replies on TS.com>>then I wouldn't waste so much time here & I'd get more farmin' done.

John C. Saubak

Peerless, Montana

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Sherree..... I shoot .020"/.032". Current average is .925 over 1200 doubles targets....Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I agree. No point wasting my time, if I'm not "good" enough to ask questions, let alone get answers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.