1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your best memories of the Grand in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I do a lot of day dreaming in class while waiting for the professor to show up each day. This morning, I was thinking about the first time I attended the Grand American in Vandalia Ohio.

Walking the grounds around 5am, so quiet, and then realizing that I was standing on the same ground that our all time greats once walked and shot on in our great sport.

Standing in front of the trap house, looking back at the stands where some of the great shoot offs have once taken place in years past, actually gave me the chills.

Getting to meet and shake hands with the great Dan Bonillas when he was in his prime, that was so awesome I remember saying to myself.

Sitting in the restaurant eating breakfast with my friend Vic Reinders as some of the all time greats stopped by and said hello to Vic, actually made me feel some what important, while thinking I was in the middle of trapshooting greatness. So much history, so many memories.

When you think of the Grand in Ohio, what do you think of?
    Steve Balistreri

2. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Breaking my first and only 200 to date. To break it there was Grand!

3. APrice

APrice Active Member

I have a lot of the same feelings you do Steve. I always considered it "hallowed ground" because of all the history. As superficial as it might seem, I really appreciated the food available on the grounds. It was good stuff and was usually very different from what I ate at home.

BTW, the folks who are so defensive about Sparta will soon jump on this thread to tell you to forget all that sentimental hokum and never again mention Vandalia and Grand American in the same sentence.

4. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

When Neil W sold me his preferred parking spot for $250.

It sure was nice to have a handy parking place.

5. senior smoke

I believe that history in a sport makes a place very special. I also believe that a good number of years from now Sparta will have earned it's own special memories, some of which have already started.

This thread is not meant to compare each Grand, but to reflect on what memories you have when thinking about the Grand in Ohio, which to me will always be a very special place.

Steve

6. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

I remember lots of good times out there especially when I was a kid shooting.
    I appreciate my dad taking me shooting and us having good times together. Meeting some of the greatest shooters ever was a big deal. Dan Orlich being my favorite at the time. I remember shooting with Dave George's sons lots of times out there, doing some good shooting together and some awful, but still having a lot of fun. Remember going to the beer tent with them and getting sick back in the motel after. My dad wasn't real happy, but I won the Junior hdcp. that day, so he didn't get after me too bad. I remember all the pretty pullers/scorers...had a 98 going in handicap one day, and on the final trap while walking from post 5 to 1, one of the scorers winked at me and I missed 2 targets right away and ended with 96. Remember shooting off for a trophy as a kid one night and got beat, and Dick Baldwin trying to cheer me up, telling me you got beat by a girl. Best memories would be shooting with my father out there, wish it could still be.

7. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Only got to go once.

Something I will always remember are the ladies at the hospitality desk giving me a parking pass for right behind the locker room that was roped off each day that we used for the week. THANK YOU.

Also they recommended the Buckhorn Restaurant on our third day there after we had tried the Shuckin Shack and the Barnsider. After we found the Buckhorn we had every meal there the rest of our stay.

Robert

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I remember all those years thinking that's where the onions are from. ;-)

9. triplea

triplea TS Member

Wow, where do you start. Walking vendors row. Friends jamned into the campground. Seeing many of the great gunners, past,present, and future. Watching the airplanes and shoot offs while they banged the trash cans behind the grandstands as the trucks made all kinds of noise. Getting to shoot off a number of times while all this was going on. The two best things were breaking 200 in the last CTC held and shooting off and shooting with my son, Christopher, and watching him in the shoot offs. Only regret is never having to shoot off against him but he's going to be back now that he's out of the Army, 10thSF veteran. David Proper.

10. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

The trolleys were the best social event at the old Grand. You could hear all sorts of great stories on them and meet alot of interesting characters. I remember I had my BT-99 PLUS with me on the trolley when this old guy said,"thats the best gun for the money they ever made, I had one but I sold it, the biggest mistake I ever made". The trolleys were an important part of the old Grand that I do miss but I am glad we have Sparta to have our Championship.

Joe McGorman

P.S I am still shooting that BT 99 PLUS

11. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

The Bob Allen girls

12. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

The Buckhorn Tavern, the Rib House, Articoles (spelling), the shuckin shack, just about any restaurant along Miller, the Pork Chops out the front of the Locker room ( I personaly must have accounted for approx a dozen pigs or more) oh yes and the shooting (don't want you guys to think I only went for the food) the friendships, and the memories, money cannot buy the memories.

Bob Spensely (South Dakota), Don Brown (Illinois), Bat Thomas (PA), Don Stevens (Michigan), Don Snider (Minnesota), Dennis Bigelow (Iowa), Leo Harrison (Missouri), Ray Pumel (Nebraska), Lynn Gipson (Kansas), Martin Henderson (not sure what state) I can go on and on, all these wonderful people I would never have been able to call our friends if it had not been for the Grand in Vandalia, yes the memories (Oh did I mention the pork chops).

The last day of the 2004 Grand (we knew we could not attend in 05) the Pork chop guy said I had been his best ever customer, so the Chops were on the house that day, needless to say I smelt like pork for the next fortnight.

Regards, and thank you all for the memories.

Release Trigger..........PS. I like Sparta as well but it's a different kettle of fish as we say Downunder.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Metting new people is probably the best memory and a cose second is all the guns at the vendore tents. I bought at least two every time I went

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Yummy...

Curt
    [​IMG]

15. senior smoke

David:
    Please thank your son for his service to our country.
    Steve

puablo:
    Great memories. I wish I could shoot with my dad too.
    Steve

Release Trigger:
    You would be the last guy I would allow to walk my grandson's potbelly pig.
    I am sure all I would have to give back to my grandson would be his collar.
    Steve

16. senior smoke

Curt:
    After seeing that picture I am starving. Did some of you go to the grand to eat, and possibly do a little shooting?
    Steve

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Smoke... shooting was always the "gravy" ... aaaaahhh. the pork chop sandwiches

18. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Grnberetcj,

Tried the "Italian sausage" all I remember is Heartburn, so did I mention it was Pork Chops for me, I think it was the Apple Cider Vinegar he used to spray on them that was the key ingrediant.

Release..........

19. Robb

Robb Member

The shootoff of the 2002 GAH. I got beat in the second round for runnerup and all the Remington workers came out to shake hands with me. Very cool experience.

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My most favorite memories when on the 27 was shooting with these greats, Ray Stafford while he was still in the Army, Britt Robinson, Larry Gravestock, Bueford Bailey, Dan Bonillas, Frank Little, Dan Orlich, and then walking the grounds looking at all the new and used guns, by Roger Jack, Bill Poole,Jaquas,Gene Sears & Elmer, Hal Dupont Kreighoff, and the 2 shops of Bob Allen and his beautiful girls. Always had to stop by the Sausage Stand on the drive between the Central Entry Bldg and the row of Buildings to the East.
    Stopping in Remington, Federal and Winchester Buildings.

And always loaded up w/reloading supplies at very good prices.

Then the evening drive up to Camp Troy for the 50 bird night shoot, I took a lot of money from Camp Troy's night shoot. One night my buddy and I broke the only 50s and we were on the first squad Me post #1 and he on post #5.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.Longshot

Trapshooting

Love it

Live it

Shoot it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gary creason a and a shooters

vandalia ohio gary creason jr