1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What are you focused on?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mette56, Jul 24, 2013.

1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

For many years, I've been involved with fund raising events with military, sheriff's dept and police depts. Guns and shooting often comes up. I've been surprised that most of these heros are taught to focus mainly on their sights when shooting, not at the target. I shoot open sights, scopes, lasers looking and focused on my target...looking through the sight itself. Same as with trap.

So what is correct? IMO, if I'm a public servant and in a firefight with an enemy shooting back at me, I want to see his every move. If taught to look through sight and focus on target...you see both....Right?

milt

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Well Milt, I was actually taught to shoot a pistol from the hip and we shot a lot of running critters with rifles and as such my rifles even as a kid had stock work to fall into place. Then I guess that I later learned how its suppose to be done. As such, for me I look through the site at the target. But my rifle stocks are still built to go into place in a hurry.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Rifle and especially handguns, for maximum accuracy, require focusing on the front sight first.
    It requires a minute relationship between front and rear sights.
    The target remains blurred without sharp definition.

Tactically speaking, ranges a car hood wide can be shot focusing on the subject.

Of course, i'm talking accuracy with a handgun from 25-600 yards..

E.Keith