1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the recommendations for a Skeet Gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johnjjk, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnjjk

johnjjk Member

What are the basics for a Skeet Gun.

Should it be a 50/50 gun for a 60/40 gun? What is the recommended barrel length, i.e. 26", 28" or 30"?

I know a lot deals with personal preferences. Some people like this and that but but a shorter barrel could help swing movement and a 50/50 gun may help if your barrel a little over it and the next shot the barrel is a little under it. I could be wrong. Just want some opinions.

Skeet is very fast so a gun characterics are critical. I started shooting trap recently and want to also learn skeet shooting.

It's all a lot of FUN!

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

More and more you can see folks shooting skeet with guns with many of the trap gizmos; adj. comb, longer barrels, porting, and so on. However, the basic skeet gun would usually shoot pretty flat, barrel(s) of at least 28" and 30" getting popular. In my world, trapshooters tend to use their trap guns with changeable chokes or extra barrels and manage quite well. It really is too subjective for someone to say what's right for you and the old idea of try-many-guns-and-one-will-stand-out-for-you is the safe advice......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

johnjjk,

You are correct, it's all fun.

As far as gun preferances, I like 28" slide/semi's and 30" or 32" for break open guns. I usually shoot a gun that is in the 50/50-60/40 area for skeet and sporting.

Stock fit will be another matter on how you intend to shoot skeet. I'm fortuneit enough that I can either low gun or mount shoot my skeet guns.

I also like lite quick responding guns for skeet and sporting. My heaviest skeet load is a 7/8 oz. Anything more than that is overkill.

When learning skeet, foot placement and stance play a big role in how effective you'll be.

ss

4. pdq

pdq Member

Stay away from single shot models unless you are really quick at reloading, or only plan to shoot in "One Shot" events.

Next, shoot a lot with whatever you have. See what others shoot. Ask if you can try shouldering and possibly shooting their guns. With that personal experience, you'll get a sense of what's right for you.

Pete

5. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

In my area, Georgia and SC the guns seem to shake out like this: Krieghoff, Beretta, Kolar, Browning, with a few shooters like me shooting Perazzis. Most of the guns are configured very similar to mine.

My MX2000 is 30" barrels, w/ tubes in they are approx. 1.80 kg. Stock has paralell comb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.