1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the ODDS????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I know some of you guys know I’m an American (I normally live in the Kansas City area) temporarily living in Johannesburg, South Africa on a work assignment.

A couple of weeks ago I shot a round of trap at a local club with a few other guys. One of the guys was shooting a gun that looked vaguely familiar. And not surprisingly, because when I had a closer look, it was the same model as the trap gun I shoot. Antonio Zoli Ritmo Z-90 Trap, 32 inch choke tube barrels. Almost identical to mine except for a few cosmetic differences. Similar, but not identical checkering on the forearm and stock. Similar, but not identical engraving on the receiver. Slightly different top levers. Mine has a Monte Carlo stock with aftermarket adjustable comb and butt plate. His has the more “European” style stock and the original recoil pad. His has obviously seen a lot less wear and tear, as mine has more worn bluing and the action is looser.

So I asked the guy what year model his was. He said he didn’t know. I told him about the Italian Proof House stamp on the bottom of the monobloc. We took the barrel set out and took a look. “Wow” I said. “AT” just like mine. That means the guns were proofed, and probably made, in 1988. I told him I bet the serial numbers are close. So he read off his serial number to me. 1-9-4-0-7-8. I said, “you’re shitting me, right?” No, he said, why?

“Because,” I said, “the serial number on my gun is 194077. These two guns came off the assembly line one after the other.”

What are the odds?!?!?!

I bought mine used in the USA in 2005. He bought his used in South Africa. Wouldn’t it be cool to find out how the two of these guns came to be here?
    timb99_2008_0303102.jpg

timb99_2008_0303103.jpg

timb99_2008_0303104.jpg

timb99_2008_0303105.jpg

timb99_2008_0303106.jpg

timb99_2008_0303107.jpg

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Way Two Cool!!

It is a small world!!

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It is weird how paths can cross

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I bought mine used in the USA in 2005. He bought his used in South Africa. Wouldn’t it be cool to find out how the two of these guns came to be here?

They came to be there because you were there and so was he, next question ...Glad I could help ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Here's a similar tale...

My favorite rifles are Winchester and Browning 1885 Single Shot High Walls. (Bet you thought I'd say AR15, huh?)

The top gun in the pic is my .22-250. That was the first Browning I bought, because it was available. I really wanted the .223, but it was out of cycle for Browning production.

Well over a year later, the .223 went into production. I bought one (the bottom gun), and it quickly became my most used centerfire rifle. It has killed more critters than all my other guns combined. Very accurate.

A couple of years later I heard Browning was discontinuing the High Wall in .223, and would instead only offer the .223 in the new Low Wall.

So figuring my 1885 .223 High Wall had a good chance of being the only rifle I might actually wear out, I bought another .223 High Wall as a spare. Had my dealer order it, just as he ordered the first .223.

When it showed up, it was consecutively serial numbered to mine.

And the wood is nearly identical, and has to be from the same tree, probably the adjoining blank. The photo does not clearly show it, but the walnut looks like marble cake.

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

If only they could talk.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Very cool Brian.

8. Surveyin'

Surveyin' Member

Wow! Amazing.

9. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

There is a good chance the two Zoli's did not come off the assembly line one after the other. Many gun companies put parts, such as numbered receivers, in a bin. They are grabbed at random from the bin as needed for assembly. Still, the two guns were probably assembled very close to the same time. Neat story, regardless. Thanks for sharing with us. Mike

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

So what do the other 8 look like? :)

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Bruce, she was his twin sister.

GneJ

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NzlG28B-R8Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wayne

13. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

One time years ago, about 1973 or 1974, I went to Calif. to visit my Dad for a few days. My brother, Robbie(now deceased) lived in Oregon. There was a gun show at the Cow Palace, so we went. This guy had a pair of mint Model 61 Winchesters for sale. But we couldn't buy them, cause I lived in Texas, and my brother in Oregon. So, we went back to the house and got Dad to go and get them for us at the Cow Palace. When we got home, it was then we realized that they were consecutive serial numbers. I still got mine. I don't know what happened to my brother's after he died. A Model 61 is a Winchester pump .22LR.

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

timb99, you asked "What are the odds?" As an engineer you should know that the odds of this pair ending up on the same rack are no different from any two other randomly-selected serial numbers.

Neil

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Neil,

Hahaha!

Of course it was hyperbole, not a request for a calculation!!!

16. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Now come on you two,

You know the odds are 1 in 194077 OR 1 in 194078:)

17. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I think this is quite interesting.... Thanks to the origional poster.

18. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

It seems like it would be close to impossible for those two guns to EVER be even on the same range. Purchased on different continents? too wierd....Bill

19. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

everything has got to be somewhere!

20. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

BIO: I've ben looking for one in .223. I had a Browning in 22-250, but like an idiot, I sold it.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ritmo zoli serial number

zoli z-90