1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the good scores with a 20 gauge?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Em, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Would like to know if the 20 gauge scores are on par with 12 scores.

Your experiences please. If it is a second hand story,please indicate as such.

Its cold here about 19 deg F but not unpleasant for trap.

I shot a 20 for fun and was pleasantly surprised. The STS factory 8 worked well but I did have 4 lost for various reasons that I can't directly equate to the gauge. For example I know I head lifted a couple early on. After remedying that I got down to business. I usually shoot 12 ga in 7/8 oz or 3/4 and usually post a 23 or 24.

I had more losses the second time around with 1 Oz Federal Heavy Game loads in 7 1/2. What was interesting was since this was just practice, I loaded both barrels. The IM was usually on but if I missed I took a second shot that was always successful. That is a fairly long putt that I have to attribute to 7 1/2's but I wonder on the quality of that shot (soft?) or was there an (unlikely) change of POI between the two shells?

thanks

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

How often do you see tournament ATA shooters use a 20? They will never produce the scores consistently that a 12 will, so "good scores" with a 20 is very subjective. The reason you were always successful with your second shot is because on the second only your sub-concious was working. You didn't have time to "think" and thus miss using your concious mind, you had only time to see the bird and pull the trigger, which got your concious mind out of your own way and allowed your much faster and more accurate sub-concious to be in the driver's seat.

3. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

adjust your downriggers - bait is too high in the water

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My wife broke a 50 straight with 28GA tubes in her K-80. Does that count!!

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There are a couple of gals at my club that shoot 20ga trap guns. And quite well.<br>
    <br>
    Due to a pinched nerve, I lost 1/3 of my strength in my left arm. It was difficult to shoot three rounds of trap with my 12ga trap gun. So I bought a 20ga 1187, and fit a 12ga monte carlo stock to it by altering the tenon to fit the receiver (works quite well I might add). This gave me a 7/8ths scale trap gun, which weighed quite a bit less. I could shoot it without fatigue. I might also add that it had very little recoil, since it would cycle the light 7/8 oz 2-1/2 dram promo loads. As for my scores, they remained the same. In the meantime, I've regained some of my strength, so I can handle the 12ga trap gun again. But the 20ga is so much fun that I still use it from tiime to time for trap, and particularly for sporting clays.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I shoot my 20 ga 110 and run em on a failry reqular basis

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Brad Dysinger played with a 20 gauge O/U. He wanted to be the first to run 100 on doubles with it. Not sure that ever happened. I think he did run 100 on singles..not sure.

8. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

No fishing, just an honest question.

I asked the same of Lloyd Woodhouse at the US Olympic Training center and he said of 7/8 oz loads, the 20 didn't produce the same scores as the 12, nothing further said.

I would assume it is related to the payload aspect ratio; more damaged shot in a longer column of equal weight.

So the question was, is it a 1 bird handicap, a 4bird etc. The other factor is gun weight so tubes in a 12 might be better than a LW twenty but it doesnt fix the shell if that is the problem.Trying to quantify peoples experiences and what the controlling factors are (ammo, guns, etc).

thanks

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Brad has been shooting his 20 gauge auto for what little shooting he's been doing lately, said he did not care for the ten bucks a box deal however.

10. medic23

medic23 Member

Just curious about which chokes the 20 gauge guys are using from the 16?
    Ben

11. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I used IM and F with preference to the IM. It's just one data point though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.