1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the Beretta auto model differences?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I see a bunch of Beretta auto's out there. What are the differences 390, 391 Urika, Technys, etc etc

I saw a nice used one with a mobile choke bbl but nice wood and some newer models with bad wood and optima bbls.

Would an optima bbl fit on the older gun?

Do they function with a wide range of loads incl 7/8?

thanks

Thanks

2. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The Beretta autos are all very similar from the AL-1 through the 303 and most parts fit between those models. When the 390 came out (around 1900) there was an improvement that allowed basic gun fit by the used of a shim system where a plastic shim is placed at the head of the stock at the receiver and a matching metal washer inside the stock that allowed changes in cast and drop. There were also some differences in the barrel lug that does not allow for interchanging of barrels between the 390 and earlier models without some modifications.

The 391 came out around 1999 and is very similar to the 390 with the exception of the gas system, which allows for a wider range of loads that the gun will cycle reliably. The Teknys version of the 391 is just a dressed up model (which I'm not real fond of) that has a bit nicer wood with plastic side plates (that tend to pop out) and the Trap version allows for different ribs to be used (also pop out when not expecting it). The 391 also has a composit trigger group (plastic) which I am not at all fond of. I've found that the cast trigger groups from previous models takes a trigger job much better (no comparison).

The Optima is simply a back bored barrel (stamped "OB" on the barrel) and the Optima barrel will fit on the previous 391 Mobil guns only IF you also use an Optima forarm (the barrel itself is thicker). 391 barrels and forarms will not fit 390 or any other Beretta model, but most internal parts are the same.

That's it in a nut shell.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Very good explanation Tron

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Tron, I have a 390 ST on which I have used a 303 barrel(that was what I was told it came off of) and a B80 barrel which I purchased from Jack Swanson. I did have to use a die grinder to take 1/16 of the barrel hanger lug to fit properly. I often wondered about other barrels that might fit. Now I know more of what not to buy. Thanks. Jackie B.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tron, didn't a few of the 302s and 3s also have the shims to change the dimensions of stock fit? I fairly sure a few did. An elongated stock bolt hole allows the shim system to work it's magic? Beretta changes model numbers more than any co. I know of. Hap

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yes, but from what I recall it was the Trap model and only was for some more cast off (just a little). I've only seen one of those.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thanks Tron, seems like one those I saw had oblong washers for the stock bolt at the back (to raise the comb)and shims in the front where they fit the receiver to allow a good wood to metal fit with matching numbers. Those factory shims and washers had numbers stamped on them for matching them up if I recall correctly. There's another job for you, make both the front shims and rear washers and modify the stock bolt hole allowing a multitude of adjustments for a lot of B models? You need to stay busy? :)

We used to raise the comb hight and cast if necessary on model 12s by bending the stock bolt tang extension and trimming the wood to fit the receiver. Just thinking out loud here. Hap

9. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

go buy a 391 parallel,target 30" sl(standard length)w/extragrain wood,put in the green choke and maybe a trigger job from tron?-- if you like autoloaders you'll never go wrong. for the average shooter, starting out- it just plain shoots!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta auto differences

will all beretta 391 barrels fit all 391 models