1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what are the benefits of expensive trap guns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jess r, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jess r

jess r TS Member

I have just got back into trap after about 15 years off. I have a bt-99 that works good, but i have to change guns for doubles. When I was younger I always wanted an unsingle combo gun, and still do. I like the new beretta, browning and skb models; but I am wondering if i should maybe go with a used perazzi or a k-80 or something like that. My questions are do I really need an unsingle barrel or will I be fine with just an over and under? Is the unsingle only lighter? Is it all about the fit? Are the more expensive guns easier to make fit? Is stuff like backboring and forcing cones nicer in the expensive guns and if they are how much nicer? I really don't care what engravings are in a gun i just want it to shoot nice. If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it. thanks,
    jess

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I have shot a Beretta unsingle combo for a number of years and the gun always was capable of shooting better than I did. I just purchased a Kolar unsingle combo that is "new to me". I think I will shoot better with the new gun ... but only time will tell.

IMHO you need to try different guns until you come across the one that just feels right for you. There is no magic answer that will work for everyone. We all need to take bits and pieces of this and that until we find what works best for each of us. Good luck on your quest for the perfect gun ... I hope I have found mine (LOL). Bill Malcolm

3. Edward Turner

Edward Turner TS Member

My opinion is that you should go with a used high(er) quality gun.

Nothing wrong with a Beretta or Browning, but Perazzi, Kreighoff, et al cost more for a reason. Long life, dependability, and, more noticeably, handling qualities. The newer models are also adjustable (comb, rib, etc.) to enable you to make the gun fit YOU and shoot where you want it to.

BTW, an unsingle is seldom lighter than an O/U.

You'll get wildly different answers to this question, so the real test is to shoot as many as you can, or at least handle them. You'll know when you've found the right one.

If a Browning or Beretta - or whatever - feels no different than the high dollar guns, don't waste your money.

Oh, then there's also pride of ownership and confidence in your chosen gun.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Beretta-elite, quuote: "BTW, an unsingle is seldom lighter than an O/U."<br>
    <br>
    Why is that? Except for unsingles being typically a couple inches longer, I fail to see why they would not be lighter.

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Brian,

The weight of the unsingle high rib is about the same as the second barrel in an o/u. On average every inch of barrel adds about 1oz to the total weight.

Eric

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

LOL...don't say it out loud. But there's probably been more good scores broken with an 870 or a model 12 than with a P or K gun.

I don't consider myself a snob. I work 8 to 5 M-F just like most other folks. Save some money. Try to enjoy life. Win or lose (and lose way more often than win), I sure like picking up my perazzi and shooting a round with it. For a guy that drives a 97 chevy truck, wears jeans by Costco, drinks domestic beer and scrounges hulls when I can - my perazzi just might be the finest "thing" I'll ever own. It fits me, it shoots great when I do my part, and I enjoy it.

THAT'S the benefit to an expensive trap gun.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Ah, I fergot about the rib weight.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Some of us just love the tremendous woodie it gives us

9. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Stay away from the bargain basement guns or the high end singles unless good looks, resale value or bragging are a necessity.

Guns are like cigars, the difference between a $5 dollar stogie and a $20 dollar stogie is ... $15 bucks, at least to most. You may be able to consistently shoot high 90´s scores with a BT-99 or with a Machone, so the difference, at least to me, is purely economics.

Regards,

Berettaman7

10. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Jess r,you need to pimp your combo and your ride LOL.....Don

11. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

The guys I know with Perazzis & Krieghoffs all own or owned Brownings, Berettas, Remingtons, etc., at one time in their shooting experience, and will tell you its the "feel" of the gun that makes a difference.

12. XTFreak

XTFreak TS Member

The benefits are ..

To lighten your pocketbook

To make you look like an idiot holding a $10000.00 gun and while breaking an 86

To lose your ass when you sell it, if you can sell it

To get you frustrated enough to almost quit shooting

..Need I continue?

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

"It's not the arrows, it's the indian" ( but it helps if the bow fits )

14. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

Triggers, and prestiege.

15. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

I can't hit crap, but I look "COOL" with my Krieghoff on my shoulder.

And that's all that matter's.....

Bill

16. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Donda,

Uncalled for. Stupid response. Says a lot about your character.

john

17. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Jess,

Not everyone can shoot an unsingle well. Some can while others can't. 'Try before you buy' is good advice.

When people mentioned gun "fit" they were referring to how well the dimensions on a gun's stock fit your size and shape. If you are like many of us, your shape has changed during the past 15 years. If yours did too, your BT-99, if it fitted you 15 years ago, no longer fits.

Guns must fit the shooters who use them to allow them to use the correct time has shown, results in the highest scores and the mosfastest improvement with practice.

The stock dimensions on different guns differ as does their balance and weight. It is a possible problem when shooting two guns for different events.
    Since the recommended shooting form has changed from what it was 15 years ago, I suggest you consider visiting a good stock fitter, one who will give you the stock dimensions that will allow you to use the correct form. Then you can shop for a gun with a stock with those dimensions.

If you can't find one, a stock fitter can change the dimensions to make it fit. All you would need to do is remember the shooting form the stock fitter described and fitted the gun for, when you shoot.

Rollin

18. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

The most important 3 things that you can buy, if you want to be a better shooter, are professional instruction, targets and ammo. If you have the talent and persistence, you can ride the 99, preferably with an adjustible comb, to the 27 and a 94+ singles average. If you get there, a custom fit gun may make you more competitive. If you can't get there, you can buy an expensive gun and enjoy it for pride of ownership.

19. smartass

smartass TS Member

jess, if your trap gun doesn't cost more than the value of your house, you will be too embarrassed to ever shoot it well. Won't be long before the house is worth more so you'll have to repeat the process.

20. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

One really good thing about an expensive trap gun..........

It lightens up your billfold so it isn't so heavy to carry.............and it also makes it a lot easier for your bank too.....................as they don't have to worry about all that money to watch out for. ;-)

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what makes a perazzi so expensive