1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What are remington factory 3200 updates?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by w762nato, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w762nato

w762nato Member

Just wondering what these updates include?
    Is the gun unsafe or unreliable without them?
    If one had an original are the updates still available?
    Thanks for your time.
    Jan
    knock my "block" off to email

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The updates are still available, but if you have a release trigger in your gun it will come back a PULL TRIGGER. Trigger parts is the update.

Dr,longshot

3. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

I dont think you need to worry about them changing the trigger. Patrick Laib has all the parts and does the updates, I dont believe Remington does the updates anymore since Mr. Laib bought all of the 3200 parts from remington, He is the 3200 man. heres his info. Laib's Gunsmithing L.L.C.
    201 North Hwy. 23
    Spicer, MN 56288
    Tel: 320-796-2686
    Fax: 320-796-4570
    pllaib@tds.net
    CEO: Pat Laib
    Restore & refurbish firing pin areas for all makes. Make a custom adjustable stock. Remington 3200 repairs & parts.

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

There are two updates. The first one is to the receiver and is / was $450. The gun may have that done already ... there will be two allen screw heads in the bottom corners of the face of the receiver.

The second update is to the forend iron. This is one that Pat does himself to beef up the forend iron and I believe that he glass beds the forend wood. This one is / was $145. My understanding is that both updates will stop the wood from cracking. Bill Malcolm

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The updates were never a safety issue. If your 3200 is an occasional shooter, you could go many years without having them done. If it's going to be used as a tournament gun with 200, 300, or more a day and nearly every weekend, then the updates should be done to ensure the gun will stand up to the heavy use. The first update was to strengthen receiver issues, help avoid cracking of wood where the stock meets metal, and is easily determined if already done or not. If it's been done, Remington placed a dot or period between "O/U" and the serial number under the receiver AND you will see two allen head screw heads under the firing pins on the breech face. The second update was an invention of Pat Laibs and strengthened the metal work around the ejector hammers in the forearm where there is a lot of stress in normal use. I avoided the second in several guns by simply disabling the ejector hammers and the gun still extracted - this was handy for me for saving shells anyway. Remington also, later in time, coated the inner portion of the wood parts with an epoxy-like product to further protect the wood/metal areas and they also warned to not tighten the stock bolt more than 5 lbs of torque to avoid wood damage....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Bob,

I do think there was a safety issue also. I've seen first hand, one month apart, two 3200's that were recommended by me to be updated, in which both guns ended up breaking the top tangs, less than a year later.

The top and bottom tangs are so long, that with each shot, they will twist and torque around. The update included reinforcing this area by joining the two togeter with a post.

I would recommend not shooting the gun until at least the receiver has been updated. The forend update is not as critical, but eventually the stamp, sheet metal forend iron will start to bend and crack.

Lastly, if you decide to shoot this gun competitively, you may also what to have the firing pin holes dovetailed with a hardened piece of steel. Many of the primers being sold, and found in the current batch of ammo, are made of steel. Upon every shot, the primer will smack the breech face of the receiver, leaving a small "doughnut" shaped depression around each firing pin hole. Eventually, this will peen the holes shut, causing the firing pins to stick, and possibly break.

Doug Braker

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Doug, my point is that the updates weren't a safety recall to avoid the gun blowing up in your face. There never was a recall issued on the 3200s, just the offer to "update" for strength and longevity. I happen to agree with you saying the receiver updates SHOULD be done no matter the usage intended but if the gun is a safe queen that will get exercised a couple of times a year or just kept as a collector one could put it off. Thanks for the clarification....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

laibs gunsmithing 3200 wood iron gap