1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what are my 20ga options for a BT-99?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BD457, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BD457

BD457 Member

I'm considering shooting 20ga out of my BT-99 and wondering what my options are. I'm wondering if there is someone making barrels for them or if tubes is my best (and only) option. Ideally I'd like a dedicated barrel for it.

Mike

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

A subgauge tube would be your best (and by far cheapest) option. I'm sure Simmons (and possibly others) could build you a barrel (if you have a donor barrel to use the monoblock from), but I'm sure you won't like the price either (probably close to what you paid for the gun).

3. Tech Writer Jeff

Tech Writer Jeff Active Member

Unless you already have a huge amount of 20 gauge ammo, why not simply shoot 7/8-ounce 12 gauge loads?

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago Briley quoted me $295 for one full length sub guage tube.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Kolar might fabricate a tube system for your single... "little skeeters" might work... there used be some short, quarter-half length tubes out there (can't recall the manufacturer)...

Jay

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As Tech Writer Jeff asked why don't you want to shoot a 7\8oz 12 ga.load???? They would be much easier to keep yourself supplied with hulls and you will have more choices of powder, wads, etc. $$$$ wise I think you would be way ahead. Ross

7. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

What possible advantage or reason would you have in going to the expense of converting a BT 99 to shoot 20 gauge ammo?

8. BD457

BD457 Member

I guess I didn't think this all the way through. I just looked at the loading data for 7/8 20ga and I'd also have to stock a different powder.

I'll load 12ga 7/8 and be done with it.

Thanks for the common sense I was lacking.

Mike

9. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Skeet shooters routinely spend many thousands of dollars to shoot .410 (and other) shells out of a 12ga gun.

If they'd taken a common sense approach 80 years ago, they could simply have been shooting 12ga shells with 7/8, 3/4 and 1/2 ounce payloads.

I say "Go for it!"

Build a 20ga BT99!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.