1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What are Bogardus Glass balls worth?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ysr_racer, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I was at a garage sale last weekend, when the woman mentioned that her late husband was a trap shooter. She had long since gotten rid of his guns, but had a box of old ammo and 11 of these “Bogardus” glass balls.

Anybody know what they are, or what they’re worth? I paid $10 for the whole lot of them

[​IMG]

2. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I added a picture.

3. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Ok, for this little bit of information, I would just like to buy one of your Bogardus balls at the price you paid please. I collect old glass. Great find by the way.
    <br><br>
    Read on:
    <br><br>
    Bogardus glass target ball brings $17,000 Guns Magazine, Nov, 2006
    <br><br>
    In the first auction of part of Alex Kerr's collection of glass target balls, a new world record was set when the first 10 balls sold in last July's American Bottle Auction for more than $45,000.
    <br><br>
    Alex Kerr was part of the famous Kerr Glass Company and had amassed a collection of glass target balls over a 50 year or so span. Kerr, a world-class marksman, author, collector, researcher and historian had spent years assembling information on target balls. His interest in glass target balls surpassed that of even the most ardent collector.
    <br><br>
    <br><br>
    For those still wondering what a target ball was, they were approximately 3" round spheres, thrown in the air with a special contraption for the sportsmen, or marksmen of the day. Starting in the mid-1870s, glass targets were only made for about 30 years, maybe less, as the clay pigeon became popular. One of the "throwers" from the 1870s sold for $3,520 in the same auction.
    <br><br>
    The anonymous winning bidder of the record-setting $17,000 Bogardus bottom-embossed ball said, "I just wanted that ball. Everybody's got his or her thing, we have a big thing for the Bogardus balls. I have some really nice Bogardus balls, but this is the one I didn't have (one of two known examples, the other Bogardus ball is not nearly as clearly embossed). I think it's a great looking ball. I would rate this Bogardus Gallery ball as the Holy Grail of Bogardus balls. On the whole, consider it the very top Bogardus. The Bogardus balls in general hold their value because of their appeal to other collectors. They all want a Bogardus." The previous record for a target ball sold at auction was over $14,000 for a rare Sure Break ball. American Bottle Auctions Web site is www.americanbottle.com.
    <br><br>
    COPYRIGHT 2006 Publishers' Development Corporation

4. cnsane

cnsane Member

I'll offer to take the whole lot off your hands for ten dollars apiece, it being the first day of the month and all.

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Dang ... even though he is no longer alive you would think that she wouldn't sell her husbands balls, some things should just be considered sacred.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

This has to be one of those urban legend things. Or ...... April Fools!

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Real Trapshooters don't go "yard saleing" on weekends. April Fool!!

8. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I guess I'll just hang them on my Christmas tree :)

9. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Good one, racer. Last year he had a nice Holland and Holland (I think) shotgun that he picked up cheap. Has it been a year already?

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

this story is true about 5 years ago was at a flea market and a guy had 12 in a box that was packed with saw dust -- said they were christmas orniments he had a little net bag that he said was how to hang on tree i had not seen the targets then but i could have bought that box for $10 but that not the only ship i will miss in life rick

11. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

ysr_racer, If you are the proud owner of THAT Bogardus target ball you
    have a good one. If you really want to sell you need to get in touch with
    Mike O`Malley. email: mikeomal@earthlink.net Sportalluring

12. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Yep, that was me :)

>>Last year he had a nice Holland and Holland (I think) shotgun that he picked up cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bogardus glass ball traps

bogardus glass balls

bogardus glass target ball

bogardus target ball

bogardus trap for sale

target balls glass for sale