1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What anti virus program?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by claybustin hoosier 52, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

My computer crashed a week ago Sunday. Just got new computer up and running it has the Vista program. Have had Norton in the past it has been ok, but hate ther almost non existent customer service. Open for suggestions. I do have one that came with vista if I want it. It is called Micro Trend any one on here ever use it?

Thanks

John

2. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Go to webroot.com. I have Webroot security essentials, antivirus and spy sweeper for many years and love it.

3. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

You are wise to dump Norton (Symantec); it ranks right up there with AVG, Panda and Windows One Care as an infestation waiting to happen.

If you intend to use freeware, Trend Micro is OK but Avira and Avast are better.

If you want to pay for protection, I recommend you spend $40/year and get NOD32. Avira also has a shareware version but I've never had to recover a NOD32 machine. Sophos is also at the top of my list for effectiveness but it is a bit more technical than the rest.

Carol Lister

4. ksaul1

ksaul1 TS Member

I have been using the free Avast for a couple of years on all of our home PCs. I tried several others that I paid for including Mcafee and Norton. Also tried the other free ones mentioned above, but found that Avast home version is hard to beat. Easy to install, regular free updates, and it has indeed stopped a few worms and trojans in a very timely manner. You might want to give it a try.
    http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

5. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

AVG works good. They have a free version, I pay to use the service with multiple licenses, but I own an IT security firm, kinda professional courtesy.

Courtney

6. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Kaspersky 2009, the best out there. About $60 at Best Buy.

7. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I did use the free version of the AVG and still have an infected computer that is slower than a snail. It worked fine until I got hit. At least it got me to buy a newer computer. I did identify the two problems but found nothing to remove them with.

I now use the Mcafee Virus ScanĀ« Plus with Site Adviser and have ever since the infection. It is 6 in 1 prevention and protection. The Site Adviser is free and I was using it before I bought McAfee. Been a few years now ans have not been hit.Ray

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Avast Home for free is a great AV program. I use it next to Comodo set as a firewall only. Both free for home users. Avast can do a "boot Time" scan. It's a useful feature, since the scan happens befopre windows is fully booted. It can catch some bugs that hide under windows.

Nod32, Kaspersky are good. Trend Micro seems to have fixed some of their issues for the latest 2009 version. I'll wait and see before paying even one dollar for it. Last system that had it was a nightmare, since it had to uninstalled and reinstalled several times when they came up with a new version. The new version usually fixed the problem we had, but seemed like they installed some new ones to keep us busy.

Stay away from Symantec, Norton, McAfee, etc.

9. oz

oz Active Member

I have been using micro pc-cillin for years, I bought it because consumer reports rated it the best at the time. It has been great. it does updates almost every day when I start the computer. oz

10. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"... it does updates almost every day when I start the computer."</blockquote>
    A couple of posters have mentioned daily updates. I would simply like to comment that one daily update is the minimum I would expect from AV software. The more effective AVs update their virus signatures several times a day and their scanning engine several times a month.

Once-daily updates means that (1) some variants of evolving malware are being overlooked and/or (2) signature updates are being bundled and held (sometimes for 24 hours) until THE daily update occurs which leaves computer vulnerable to new malware until it receives the new signatures. This is one of the major differences between freeware and paid subscription products.

Carol Lister

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

In my opinion, AVG sucks. Last winter, I got some spyware on my desktop that has AVG's paid anti-virus on it (a two-year subscription, no less). AVG's tech support was absolutely NO help - their replies to my emails were as if one of us was not speaking English. They could not remove the infection and when I asked for a refund of the unused 20 months of "protection," they stopped responding to my emails.

Our company's IT guy puts Trend Micro and Malwarebytes free anti-malware on all our PCs. I downloaded Malwarebytes free edition. It scanned my computer, found the infections and eliminated the problem. I have it on my laptop as well and haven't had a problem on either machine since installing it.

I used to buy Norton's Internet Security package. When I received their reminder that it was due for renewal in September of 2003, I immediately paid for and downloaded the 2004 edition. It would not install and after 15 hours (yes - 15!) of telephone calls to their tech support in the middle east somewhere, it was suggested that the 2003 version was treating the 2004 update as an intrusion and that I should delete every program from my PC that had the names "Norton" or "Symantec" in them. I did so and the software still wouldn't install. The tech support person told me they were out of ideas and left me with a PC with no protection.

I mailed their Texas office my online receipt, suppport case number and this story in an attempt to obtain a refund but never heard from them. Apparently this industry is even shadier than the automotive extended warranty business.

Ed

12. JTEA

JTEA Member

McAfee was a pain in the a## compared to Kaspersky.

McAfee allowed crap in etc. in spite of updates. Had a big mail problem that was a mess.
    Two + years with Kaspersky, flawless and almost un-noticed until a warning pops up. Auto updates without thinking about it.

13. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Malwarebytes is an excellent scanning program. One word of caution: download it ONLY from "malwarebytes.org... not "malwarebytes.something.org" or "malwarebytes.something-other-than-</>org[/u]".

It does require some competence from the user: the scan is manual, updates are manual, removal of malware to quarantine is manual and deletion from quarantine is also manual. Note that it is a scanner and offers no real-time blocking, but it should be a part of everyone's security arsenal.

Carol Lister

14. kolar12

kolar12 Member

Symantics IS an infestation!! Very hard to get rid of. Kaspersky took three days of speaking to a nice Indian gentleman who then tried to have me subscribe to their contracted service. I did not have Java on my pc so it would not work. It will not install and work correctly if you have any remnants of an old program on your machine. To me a program should have this all figured out when you hit the install button!

15. Trussman2

Trussman2 Active Member

Two places I go for such info.......

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

http://remove-malware.com/

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Carol, you seem to be very computer-literate - especially for a trapshooter! Thanks for the knowledgeable posts.

Ed

17. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Average Ed, sorry to hear your horror stories, yikes!!!

Another thing to consider is to make sure that you are listed as the Administrator on your computer. While you do need an Admin account, do not use it for daily use. One of my Security Engineers does not even use virus protection but he has his account restricted that it does not have rights to install software on the PC. When he needs to do that, he logs in as the Admin, does his business then switches back to the restricted user account.

Also be careful where you are going and what you are looking at on the web. Carol has a good point about where you download software, check the URL and make sure you are where you think you are!

I would also recommend scanning your machine occassionally for vulnerabilities. We use a couple of really sophisticated tools for our clients but we always start with a Nessus scan; you can search for it and get it for free. It will pick up all kinds of stuff and also recommend how to fix it. You do need to be a bit of an advanced user, but most people can figure it out.

Also, please make sure that you have wireless security turned "on" to the highest level if you are using a wireless router in the house.

Courtney

18. Fathawk

Fathawk TS Member

Use whatever AV you like. I like Avast!.

Keep windoze updated, preferably daily, but weekly is good.

Use windoze firewall, it is a good firewall and you don't need any more.

Biggest thing is to watch what you open in e-mail and watch what you download. If you are told you need "this software" to do "this" be VERY skeptical and check it out before you do it.

Most of all, DITCH THE MULTIPLE FIREWALLS AND AV's. Multiple programs doing the same thing are NOT better, they will ruin your day, trust me.

Get one of each that works for you and update it as often as possible.

Do these things and you will be a happy user.

Cheers,
    Bryan

19. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"... Use windoze firewall, it is a good firewall and you don't need any more."</blockquote>

R-I-I-G-G-G-H-H-H-H-T-T-T-T !!! [​IMG]</img>

Lister

20. Fathawk

Fathawk TS Member

Do you have a point or???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.