1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what an awsome day

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalamitySJ, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Today my wife Sally and I greeted a bus full of kids at our gun club, Buffalo Gun Club, in MN. All these kids are in a camp for hunters safety. They have never shot a shotgun before! We went through the normal stuff, safety, handling of the gun on the line, posts etc,

Then the fun began. Taught them how to hold a gun, look down the barrel, see the bird, lead follow through and finally break a bird. They did awesome!

It brought back many memories of myself and my late father and the first time he let me shoot his shotgun. I remember the hesitation, the not knowing if it will hurt, the what if I don't shoot well. You know those feelings. The heart in the throat as you try with all you might to just hold the barrel up. All 15 of these kids rocked on target shooting. Sure their eyes widened with the first shot! The recoil for some was certainly more than they thought it would be. Some looked like they wanted to quit with the first shot, but hey they listened and they hit that darn target, how could they quit now?

For me, there was an awful lot of thanks, a couple of hugs and allot of hand shakes, many smiles and oh what a difference those kids had leaving with their heads held high.

They didn't have to thank me. I had my reward with the first few shots and the smiles and talk.

If you haven't experienced this for a while, take you grandchild, a neighbor kid or a stranger out shooting again. Mentor them, the rewards will take you breath away.

Primedust
    Mark and Sally Stevens aka: Coach
    Buffalo, MN.

Best part is another bus with 15 more brand new shooters is coming tomorrow. Sure hope I can sleep tonight!

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

It sounds like you had a great time as well. LOL. Keep up the good work and keep putting smiles on those kids faces. It will all come back to you in spades!!! Sounds like you enjoy your work. Break-em all. Jeff

3. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Raining in Buffalo today--let's see how kids like shooting in the rain and cleaning guns :)

4. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Good for you Calamity! In 2004, I took my 6 year old grandson and my 11 year old step grandson to the MO State Shoot to introduce them to shooting. We arrived a week late and Lyndle all but gave me the keys to the club. Stayed by our side for 2 days while the boys shot clay targets with the .410 that I grew up with and my sons used while growing up. My step grandson had always been kind of scared of me and was very withdrawn while in my presence. When wrapping the trip up, my daughter-in-law and the two boys were headed back to St Louis and I headed back to TX. As we were all leaving, my step grandson ran up to me, hugged my leg with a death grip and said "Grandpa! That's the best time I've ever had!" (exact words I'll never forget). He had never called me Grandpa before that day. Or even touched me for that matter. He just graduated from high school and still calls me...Grandpa.

Proud grandpa,

milt

PS: No greater thrill in shooting sports than involving youth!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.