1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT ABOUT THE KOLAR T/S

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by STINKBAIT, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STINKBAIT

STINKBAIT TS Member

What can anyone tell me about the Kolar T/S. I'am looking to purchase but need some input from shooters.

2. kolar kda

kolar kda TS Member

I dont know if they still do it or not, but when i got my kolar i actually went to the shop in Racine, WI and had a stock custom built for me. i got there around 10 a.m. sat down with jeff mainland and he took measurements and everything and everthing then i went out and picked out the stock and forend wood that i liked and they began to shape it down all while i was there constantly rasing and lowering the gun as adjustments were made until it fit perfectly, all of this was done at no extra cost(except for traveling). once we were done Jeff took me on a tour of the shop showing me step by step as guns went through the process from begininng to end, i even got to see one of the master engravers at work. it was worth the trip simply to see the shop not to mention the incredible gun i got out of the deal, it took about another 3 months for the gun to be finished as it still needed to be checkered and finished, and of course assembled but well worth the wait! I have one of the combo not a t/s, but its a kolar, your going to love it, no matter what, i have had mine for about 4 years now, and never had a single problem with the gun but if you do for some reason the guys at kolar will take great care of you!

p.s. if possible check out the shop, its amazing!

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Great Gun.......But.......What ever you do, make sure you get the right stock. That will make all the difference in the world.

They have 5 different stocks. Try them before you make up your mind to buy one. Best bet is to go to the factory and ask them which stock fits you, and they will be able to help on this important detail.

Without going into details, let's just say I speak from experience.

Hauxfan!

4. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Beautiful gun/ Excellent trigger/ I have the release trigger. Lots of adjustments.I think I need some adjustment.It and I have not become one. Definately not the guns fault.

Joe Woods/Ontario

5. Bridger

Bridger Member

I've owned mine for about 18 months now. Its just a great gun. Very low recoil and I too have shot it better than my previous gun. They actually have 6 left hand and 6 right hand stocks to choose from. Go to Racine or work with a dealer who knows something about gun fit and you should end up with the best one for you. I'm very happy with how it has worked out for me

6. JCS

JCS TS Member

stinkbait ,

Since you don't seem to know much about Kolar , why, specifically, do you want one ?

Several guys at my club bought Kolars a few years ago. They ALL got rid of them after a few months (they are heavy and hard to swing )

So unless you're over 250 lbs. and 6'-6" , I strongly suggest you try one and see if it feels right to YOU , before you spend $10 k or more.

7. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

i have no clue what jcs is talking about i dont own but have shot 3 diff kolars quite a few times i admit im 6'7 300lbs but they were too light for me i would swing past everything ill stick with the heavy 90t besides its basically a kolar anyhow

8. Kolarmaxx

Kolarmaxx TS Member

Stinkbait,
    As an owner of a 34" Kolar combo, I can only say good things. Gun is a tank, shoots incredibly soft and absolutely smashes targets. JCS says gun is heavy, no more than a Krieghoff. Good thing about the Kolar is the weight is in the back of the gun, not the nose like the Krieghoff. Gun swings like a dream. I have a pile of belt buckles, bags and trophies to prove the gun shoots well. Also makes you feel good to buy American. Can't wait to buy the new MAXX unsingle. Great people to do business with. Buy whatever fits you the best.

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the new high rib is available on the T/S ??

10. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

Good shotgun? Yes, BUT, there is always a problem. I HAD a T/S for a few months
    and the silver plating started peeling at the hinge. I sent it back to Kolar (shipping & ins. $75.00 one way) which they corrected by buffing it smooth. Then
    it started peeling again, this time I took it with me to the Grand (2007) and had Kolar look at it. They say its no problem just buff it smooth, well it got looser after each buffing. I told them that the plating will continue and I can-
    not afford $75.00 every two months. The initial prep work on the reciever was not done properly so it will continue to peel. Kolar would not do or take responseability for this. This will not happen to me again, I will NEVER buy or
    recomend a Kolar product. I took this T/S to store a sold it. I`ll stick to old
    faithfull Perazzi. pineapple

11. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Who are you kidding? You are not the Pineapple! Everyone knows that the true Pineapple shoots a K-80.

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Mike TMX I have the proto type hi shooting rib on my T/S waiting for them to get into production so it can be exchanged, it is about 3/8 inch above the existing rib ramp, similar to the Combo Hishooting rib. They have 50 of the new Hi shooting rib blanks waiting to go into the production process, then they have to be sent out and coated black.

My T/S is fitted with a #2 stock with #2 upgraded wood which has 1/2 inch castoff for right hand shooter.Dimensions are Comb: 1 5/8 inches/ MonteCarlo 1 5/8 inches/Heel 2 3/4 inches Cast "0" Offset 1/2 inches toe 5/8 Grip Length 4 inches, my LOP is 14 1/4 inches Cost of wood up-grade quoted by factory.

It shoots plenty high. Approx 18-20 inches high, depends on your sight picture, mine is flat down the rib rifle sight style.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Hey Mike, I think that I do know when I am ahead. I have never seen a Kolar T/S; it sounds like a nice gun but I know exactly where my TMX shoots and that has to be worth something.

14. nicky

nicky Member

I've been shooting a T/S for 7 months now and love the gun. I purchased it at the 2007 Pa State Shoot and never shot a 16 yd target with it and went out and shot a 100 / 98 for a 198 in the singles championship day. At first my handicap scores went down about 4% but are now going back up. Like all guns they are not forgiving, you have to be on the target. I think too many people purchase a new, upgraded gun and think it's just going to happen, it doesn't, it's still hard work to shoot good scores. Some things I changed on mine was I took the tall silver center bead out and replaced it with a small short brass bead. Also I replaced the front bead with one of Chris Vendal's small two piece one's. Now I can look flat down the rib and have mine shooting about 80/90 percent high. I also put a Kickezz modified trap recoil pad on it. Give yourself a year to learn the new gun. One thing I noticed on the Kolar was a 1/16" adjustment one way or another in the comb makes a larger differance than any of my other guns so make very small adjustments and be patient. One of the things I noticed was being the gun is heavier than what I was use to I actualy found myself swinging through or over the target at times and to keep from doing so I started to stop my swing, not good, it takes time to learn a new balance. I use S.T.O.S grease on mine, it works fine. If anyone wants to see the higher profile rib on a T/S go to Jaquas web site they had one on there just yesterday. Hope some of this help's.

Kevin

15. Johnpic

Johnpic Member

Dr.longshot,I am also waiting for the new extra high rib. I was toled that I have to send the barrel in so they can fit a new fixed ramp to the barrel thats just behind the rib. They will not do an exchange, but will send the old ramp and rib back with the barrel. This was toled to me by John ( rags ).
    Is this What they tolled you?

Thanks, John Piccone

16. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

You guys are not reading the post. He asked about a Kolar TS, not a combo. Stinkbait, I've shot one only once...a like new demo. 100 reg. caps at Memphis last Sept. My impression was that it was an OK gun, but not worth the price tag. The trigger is a hammer/coil spring job and not up to the standard of the upper grade Kolars with the strikers. I felt my 90T had a far superior trigger and better quality feel to the gun. JMHO.

Buz

17. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Johnpic the rib was a drop on fit, If you get sent the new rib, when you loosen the allen screw in the monobloc, do not remove it as there are small shims and you could loose one and screw up the fit, after removing the front clamp screw ,and removing the height adjusting wheel the rib will tilt up when lifted,
    it should move up and down with some slight friction with the Monobloc allen still tight, now loosen the allen in the monobloc holding the rib, and lift it off, now remove the round large pin with the screw threads and slip it into the new rib, if there is an allen screw in it, remove it with an allen wrench and it will slide out, slip it into the new rib and install the screw with some BLUE loctiteon the exposed threads that will screw into the bolt with the shimms on it and tighten, it should move with same friction as the old rib, if it is too tight you will need to add sme shims, but this is rarely needed, then push rib down and install thumbwheel adjuster, and then the rib clamping screw,
    this takes about 5 minutes to complete rib change.

When Kolar starts machining the new high ribs for the TS they have to be sent out for powder coating the aluminum to look like bluing. Keith at Kolar was hoping for the machining to start 1st of January but it did not happen as he is not in charge of production.

Kolar has needed this High shooting rib for a long time for the TS, now they are wiser and building them.

I have replaced at least 5 ribs on Kolars in the past.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.