1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***WHAT ABOUT PONSNESS WARREN***

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by threedeuces, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

What is everyone's thought on these loaders? How do they stack up against the others and which one of there loaders is the one to get? Thanks in advance and much appreciated.

2. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

PW's are great loaders. I just switched to one from a MEC, and have no intentions of going back. Quality of machine is much better than the MEC's. They do require a little mechanical aptitude to get up and running, but are fairly simple after that. I've also heard the RCBS Grand is an excellent loader. Then you have the Dillon and then the Spolar. Ideally, the Spolar would be the "one to get", but I think from there, probably the Dillon, then the P/W, then the RCBS. But really, they're all good loaders. If you're big on customer service, then go for Spolar, Dillon or RCBS, P/W has some problems in that department, but I have yet to have a reason to call them. Hope this helps, Josh.

3. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Thanks Josh and looking for more.

4. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

I only comment on the ones that I have owned. I have had Mec, Pacific, Lee, and Texan. Once I purchased a PW, I never looked back. My dealings with their customer service has been very positive also. Very easy machine to use and upkeep is simple. They make a consistent shell with little wasted effort. Starting to sould like a commercial so I will let you go. Good luck with what ever choice you make.
    CB

5. 700X-user

700X-user Member

3 2's,

My only complaint with the P&W is that it is a little slower reloading than with the Dillon. Using a P&W, you have to remove your right hand from the handle and insert an empty hull. I have not tried the P&W with a case feeder. I fell in love with my Dillon and sold the P&W. The P&W made very nice looking reloads. I guess as long as the gun goes bang and the target disappears it doesn't matter what machine you load on.

Ed

6. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

Ponsness-Warren, hands down.

-Pat

7. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

PW is a great machine but I like the Hornady 366 better. I find it just as well built and a whole lot simpler to adjust and maintain. Like all of the good ones, a 366 that's dialed in stays that way for a lonl time.

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

P/W from Whiz White. Don't bother with anyone else. But if you want the Rolls Royce of machines go with the Spolar in hydro... worth every penney. The quality of the P/W has lessened over the last few years. It will take more adjusting if not parts. I have owned Mecs, Hornadays 366, P/W 900+, 800+, and 2000... the best machine on the market today is the Spolar -- simple -- YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Fred

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

I had a P/W and a 366. Gave the P/W to a friend and kept the 366, that tell you anything ?

10. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I bought a PW 800+ about a year ago. Its pretty good, but the primer feed and the primer seating are both weak links. Can you tell me about your experience with the Hornady?

Thanks.

Rob Middlemas
    Waynesville, NC

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned

I believe I've owned every PW model ever made from an early 800-B, the disastrous 950 and the 800 Plus. Being a dealer I always felt it necessary to personally evaluate any product I sell prior to releasing it to the public.

Although the PW always had a few design flaws, it's still an outstanding machine, reasonably priced and not too difficult to service. I will never discourage anyone from purchasing the new 800 Plus. I'll never forget the conversation I had with Brian (from PW) when he announced they were going to re-design the machine and return somewhat to their roots and introduce the new 800 Plus. My feelings were not very positive at that time and I left him know it. He proved me wrong I'll admit.

Saying that, if your budget allows, buy a Spolar and never look back. The rest are all wannabees!!

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a P/W 900 and two Hornady 366's. The 366 is my preferred loader for 12 gauge. The P/W is much better than the 366 on .410's and 28's. The long shell holders on the P/W keep the hulls positioned better and the wad insertion on the P/W lets you back up (raise the operating handle) to un-cock a wad and not mess up the powder or shot drop.

My 366 is faster on the 12 gauge because you insert both the wad and the hull at the same point in the operation. The P/W requires stopping at the bottom of the stroke to insert a wad and at the top of the stroke to insert a hull.

Jim Skeel

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I had the PW 800 that Josh is now using. I sold that machine to him and bought a second 366 Hornady. I think the PW is a better made machine than the 366 but I like the operation of the 366 better. This is just a quirk of mine that has to do with the number of rounds that I loaded on the 366 before trying the PW.

I don't think you will be dissapointed with the quality or quantity of ammo that the PW loaders are capable of producing.

14. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I have always owned and liked loading on P.W. but as stated before, the primer feeding,removal, is a problem, if a spent primer does not release fully from the shell it will get caught up under cross head and snap metal off cross head (if that were a replaceable part on the cross head it would be acceptable but as it stands it's not), which is a very expensive and difficult part to replace and is not guaranteed. Also, you can not remove shells from all stations as advertised unless you remove other parts and pieces and removing a bad shell from the collet my be a tough task as well. I think my next reloader will be a spolar.

15. dws

dws Member

I've had a PW 800 and a Dillon .. For me, the Dillon was and IS the keeper.

Dennis

16. crew

crew TS Member

I have a P.W. 2000 with a case feeder and added their elec. motor this summer. I had a spent primer get caught under the cross head just a mentioned above and also broke a piece of the cross head off. The P.W. as I have it is by far the fastest loader and loads good shells but I also have a spolar and its the best loader . Crew

17. YUKONJACK

YUKONJACK TS Member

I have a PW 800-B that I wouldn't even think about getting rid of.Mine is powered by Spolar Hydraulics,mounted on a old Steel Desk.It sure is a lazy man's dream when it comes to reloading.It makes great shells with no great effort.I have collected several machines to just have for parts,and haven't needed them at all.Yukon Jack

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am well satisfied with my PW 2000.

Pat Ireland

19. mono1393

mono1393 Member

PW 2000 Platinum. Just maintain them by keeping it clean and lubed and you will have no problems. If I was to buy one upgrade, it would be the shell feeder.

When I bought the shell feeder, it sped up the operation significantly. I load about 250 shells in 15 mins. THe next one would be the front shell catcher.

I also purchased the shovel handle from Whiz White, and all the other upgrades he sells.

I also purchased Jim Skeels powder plate that the powder and shot bottles attach to. He made them from aluminum.

If you purchase PW, you won't be disappointed.

20. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Owned four P-W's - a 375, a 600 and two 800+'s. Never bothered looking at either Dillon (although I love their metallic presses; I've owned three) or RCBS (although I love their single-stage metallic presses; I've owned three), because neither will load .410 and RCBS won't load 28 gauge. The Spolar may be a better machine, judging from the opinions I see, but dollar for dollar, the P-W is a fine machine, I love them, they work like clockwork, turn out nice ammunition to the point that it is boring (whereupon I fail to notice something and it's no longer boring) and I couldn't ask for more.

That said, I miss my 600. I wouldn't go back, but if they offered a 600+, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat.

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
history poneness warren

ponsness warren history