1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What about pitch

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by miketmx, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The amount of pitch is about right when you can mount your gun with a T-Shirt on and the recoil pad touches your shoulder pocket on the top and bottom about the same without a gap. Personally my barrel is at least 3 inches from the wall but the pitch is just right for me.

2. bo

bo TS Member

When doing this test the "Tang" will also contact the wall--also are we measuring at the muzzle end ---and what if measuring an o/u barrel?? thank-you--Please mention what positive pitch does to POI and what effect negative pitch has as well as zero pitch. Thank you again for clearing this mystery up!!

3. larryjk

larryjk Member

I see you gentlemen have been reading the European book on pitch measurement. The reason I am entering this fray is because I make stocks professionally (that means I get paid good money)and most people don't understand pitch. On a shotgun it is measured from the line of sight and on a rifle on the bore. You will find that most guns will have pitch of about 4 degrees positive. ( There, I just teed off all of the buttstock-against-the-wall guys.) And you can't use the same pitch figures of the stock-against-the-wall for a double gun as you do for a pump or semi-auto, or guns of different length barrels. Try it and then see how many variaables you can find. If you use the degrees of pitch off the sighting plane, the pitch can be dupicated from one stock to another, regardless what length the action. Try it. Put a straight edge on the rib and use a protractor to measure the angle of the face of the pad to the line of sight. You are going to find most are from 4 1/2 to 5 degrees of positive pitch. If you want a gun that will slide under your armpit, try a heavy recoiling rifle with negative pitch. Get your eye gouged out!

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Pitch, when measured in inches, is as described above except that it is measured at the 28" point on the barrel. This is done so the pitch can be compared on guns with different barrel lengths - "apples to apples" so to speak.

Unless the pitch on two guns is being compared, its measurement in degrees or inches, is not important. It is how the butt meets the shoulder pocket that is important and with the many different shoulder and chest configurations, why the preferences for flat and convex pads vary.

Rollin

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Mount the gun a few times as you normally mount it when shooting. The pad should make equal contact top to bottem (heel to toe) with you'r shoulder, or just slightly more contact at the top (heel) first. If it does, the pitch is right for you. If you've got heavier contact at the toe then there's not enuf' positive pitch and the gun will kick the crap out of you (as in; toe of the pad dig a hole in you'r chest muscles while comb is hammering you'r cheek bloody).

John C. Saubak

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rollin- A question. I have been told that pitch should be measured at 30 inches from the butt by a source I respect. I, like you have always measured it at 28 inches from the butt with the recoil pad removed . Recoil pads are usually asymmetrical and can add much confusion to a pitch measurement. I have also measured pitch from the line of the bore and ignore the rib angle. Is there a true standard way to measure pitch?

Pat Ireland

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I don't think there's an exact method of measuring the correct amount of pitch per say. The shape of the shooters chest and shoulder dictates the correct fit! A barrel chest and shoulder person compared to a flat chest is a totally different set of numbers. Attempting to find an exact number that works for all is a myth, such numbers will only get you to a starting point.

Length of pull is another measurement with no set numbers. Hap

8. larryjk

larryjk Member

Twenty-eight or 30 inches is irrelevant if you have two guns with different length actions. Yes, this was the method in use years ago; it didn't always work because it wasn't the same between dissimilar guns. Measuring the pitch in degrees off the line of sight will give you the same pitch between two different types of guns. Other factors (length of barrels, balance of the gun, etc.) may make you think the pitch is different when it isn't. Rollin, I read your book to see if there was any new information in it. Maybe you should put in a chapter about pitch (but first, figure it out).

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW, it's always seemed to me that the PROPER way to describe pitch would be in degrees from plus or minus 90* of the "mean" rear surface of the pad in relation to the line of bore.

John C. Saubak

10. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Pat,

I measured pitch only a few times. I was taught it was 28 inches but it doesn't really matter. As larryjk points out, pitch will vary depending on the length of the action or receiver. That fact alone, negates most of the value of measuring pitch in inches, unlike Europeans usually measure it in degrees and end up with equally useless information unless two or more guns are involved.

As you say, recoil pad shape can make a difference in pitch measurements and is another reason measured pitch is useless without a second gun for comparison.

Again, unless two guns are being compared or a new stock made to duplicate the pitch dimension on another stock, measured pitch information is useless. It's not what measures but how if fits a particular shooter that is important.

Pitch is measured relative to a gun's rib because changes are more easily computed using the sight line than when using the bore. When changing the pitch dimension, it would be next to impossible to measure a change if the bore was used for a comparison.

larryjk,

There is a 3-page section in the book dealing with pitch.

John C.,

I agree with you but measuring pitch degrees, plus or minus 90, is a more difficult way to accurately measure it, almost as bad as dealing with measurements with different receiver or action lengths. Who cares what it is, anyway? Does it fit?

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.