1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What a used Spolar really worth?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by spitter, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

A bunch of us working class shmoes just had a roundtable (maybe it was rectangular) discussion on loaders, and I'm the outcast, because I like the Hornady Apex, but the Spolar has similar features...

It detects the case for all the major functions and that is why I gravitated toward the Apex instead of the MEC - although Spolar wasn't available yet.

Spolar also offers the high capacity shot and powder tubes. If it fits your budget, you couldn't go wrong.

Jay

2. Dicksie

Dicksie Member

Ajax,
    The answer to your first question is hard to answer, it varies based on condition, age etc. just like any other used item, but most of the time when I hear of sales, they sell for pretty close to the price they originally sold for.

For an answer to your second question read some of the comments from customers on this page on our website: http://www.spolargold.com/testimon.htm

Dicksie Spolar

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Main shaft rides on ball bearings not plastic bushings so no slop or wear.

All machined with screw thread adjustments so no unlock the set screw and slide or try and slide the shaft of a tool up and down (hmm how far did that just jump).

Wad guide will accomodate all wads with no modifications required.

No residual shot or powder remain after a very easy shut off or drain.

Remove any shell from any station by a simple twist. No little plastic pins to lose or pry out.

Handle stroke is smooth and on side of loader not in the middle and handle is longer so less effort.

Shot drops at wad seating.

The primer chute is seperate from the tray and does not flex and crack at the tray /chute junction requiring replacement of the entire thing.

A phone call to Dicksie and Carter will have anything you may need on its way ASAP. You know kinda like P/W used to be.

--- Chip King ---

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

By far the best machine I've ever owned. Only drawbacks are lack of a shell feeder and touchy feeding on some primers. Finding a used one is not that easy.

I question if it's worth the price of two PW's but I've already owned at least a dozen of those-all gone!!

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Ole Olliedawg, I had a similar problem until I saw a note from Dicksie somewhere on here about fastening solidly. I've forgotten whether it is a 5/16 or 3/8 hole in the base, but I put the maximum / correct diameter bolt through the base and bench and the primer problem was gone.

Gary is right!! I never realized it until reading his comment. I've not cut up any shells from the Spolar, but I've still got a 5 gallon pail to do from all of the years on my PW's. I still use and enjoy the PW's, just not as often. Shoot well and often, Bob

6. lacy

lacy TS Member

Ajax

I don't know about used Spolars, because I bought mine new in 1996. I have loaded for my wife and myself for twelve years and have only replaced the wad guide fingers and the shell counter. Serial no. 219

Lacy

7. bas

bas Member

For years and years I was a user of Pacific/Hornady reloaders and was among the first to buy an Apex because of the neat features....but, the Apex was no where near the Pacific, in spite of the neat features and I went to a Spolar...and, there is NO comparison whatsover between the Apex and a Spolar. I loved my Spolar...I sold it because I decided to stop reloading...thought I deserved shooting factories after 32 years of reloading...

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I sold a Spolar about a year ago (911) to one the trapshooter.com guys . I can,t remember what he paid me for it but I think he did .

ALF

9. Bill Renner

Bill Renner TS Member

I have one with hydraulics I would sell. PM me if interested.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I'll step into this with the comment that I have been a P/W dealer for about 30 years.

I like the P/W AND I have a Spolar and I like it too. Both run under hydraulics.

Spolar came about as a result of the downturn in the aircraft industry in Southern California. Charter Spolar makes a helluva great CNC machined reloader, and Dicksie is on top of customer service.

Last May I and a partner in another operation here in Rapid City SD were contemplating purchasing the P/W shotshell business. Because of a move from ID to SD would have been a requirement, and not having the expertise of Jean at P/W, and some other reasons, we decided not to pursue the business. SD is a great state to set up a business with State financial support.

Unfortunately, my son was not interested in moving back here, and I am 62, so to partake on this adventure just didn't fit my "golden years."

Both reloaders are great to reload on. P/W's don't wear out like because as someone has intimated (bearing vs. bushings). I have repaired P/W for about 30 years and I just rebuild many unless they've been abused or have had a million shells run through them. This topic really needs to see a 30 year run by both reloaders to make a determination.

I would buy what your pocket book can stand. You would not be disappointed owning either machine.

Whiz White

11. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I cannot comment on PWs and have nothing bad to say about them. I don't think its necessary to put down a PW in comparison in order to laud the Spolar. My Spolar is a '98 vintage and NOTHING has ever gone wrong or broken and it still looks like its almost new.

Many advantages/features have been discussed above, all correc although I would disagree about the primers. Primers (Win vs Rem 209's) are not the same dimensions and I have found the Spolar processes the Win 209's more consistently...so I use them. Used Rem 209 for a couple of years...but had more fail to feeds than with the Win's so I switched.

The machine is built like the proverbial brick outhouse, thre shells come out extraordinarily consistent in quality, and the customer service is second to none. I have never regreted buying the Spolar and I'm a skeet shooter (that's right...tutu's in every color LOL) and load three diffent gauges (20, 28, and 410...just don't find the economics of 12 ga as compelling and my reloading time is limited).

This is not to say that you cannot reload very successfully with reloaders of less cost and quality...you can...but you want the best and you want it to last loooong time, you can't beat a Spolar.

12. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

Bill Renner - I have sent 2 emails. Don

13. Bill Renner

Bill Renner TS Member

Don, replied with an email and PM.

All that have sent PMs to date have been replied to. Thanks for the interest.

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Hey Alf-99

I am the guy that got hosed on that POS Spolar.

Please send me a check for half of what I paid for it. Oh - so now you can't remember how much you sold it for - how very convenient!! Well it was way too much.

The stupid thing justs sits there and cranks out perfect shells. It does not spill powder or shot like the MEC unless your really work at it. I hardly get to use the shop vac anymore.

One last thing. The hydraulic unit is starting to really piss me off. It allows the machine to run too fast. I keep having to refill those ridiculous wad and shell dispensers you soaked me for. I have to shoot a lot more, and got the girlfriend into trap shooting as the flats just kept piling up.

Anyway, I guess you get what you pay for. I paid $1800 for the one Alf-99 "abused" - even though it looked like new when I picked it up. A new one is a bit north of $2500 so I saved a bit of dough and got a few extras thrown in on the deal.

I like the serial number 9-11. Reminds me of those in the world that want to destroy our way of life. Also, the day before my B-day. I wish I could find machine 912.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.