1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What A Disappointment!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta Young Gun, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Greetings all, My dad and I just got home from the grand, and I just have to say how disappointed we were. We left home at 11:30pm yesterday evening and drove the 9 hours to the grand hoping to see a grand spectical that I have heard stories about. I was old by multiple people that you just cant see every vendor at the grand in one day, so we planned on staying the night and taking two days to see everything. We arrived at roughly 7:30am. nothing was open so we just drove around the complex checking things out. It was already 82 degrees. at 9 O'clock when every finally opened my dad and I started on the far west side of the vendor building and stopped at every vendor there, checking out guns and other items as we went along. We then hopped in the car and drove over to the east banks and looked over all of the tent vendors there. My dad wanted to try out one of Phil Simms pro-soft stocks so he had them bolt one on and we shot two practices. OK, so we arrived at 7:30 and killed an hour and a half driving around, then we checkd out every vendor, we took the time to change a stock, and shoot two practices with stock changes in between. at 12:30pm it was 102 degrees and we were pulling out of the parking lot and heading home. To me the grand is an absolute joke, and a major let down. the vendors were nothing but a repeat of what we saw at the ohio state shoot with the same guns and gear. it was so hot that sitting in the shade with a fan did absolutly no good, the prices on thing were way outta line both food/drinks and reloading supplies. Maybe I set my hopes to high but this was the biggest disappointment in my life I have had in relation to shooting. My dad and I will never be returning to the grand as long as it is held in Sparta, IL. BYG

2. Landshark

Landshark Member

WOW what a whiney kid. Hello, it's August. It's supposed to be hot. "By 9:00 it was already 82 degrees". What a sissy.

The Grand is a shooting contest, not a video arcade. Maybe you just need a nap......

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

BYG, you need to get off the farm a bit more.

And those rose-colored glasses that are pop-riveted to your temples are doing your mental state not much good, neither.

What Landshark said, maybe a nap will help.

or not.

Bob

4. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

BYG, sniff...sniff..whaaaaaaaaaaaa. No one will miss you or need your kind in the ATA. Stick to shootin chipmunks off dads porch where you belong.
    Chris

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Going to the Grand just to visit the vendors is a lot like going to a steakhouse for a tour of the kitchen. It's nice, but it's not what the place is there for.

It's too bad you and your dad didn't drop by the event center and enter some singles or something. Maybe then you would have had a better time. It is, after all, the World Shooting - not Shopping - Complex.

Neil

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

BYG- I am sorry your experience at the Grand was less than you anticipated. But it is a shooting event. Perhaps if you has shot a few events, your experience might have been more enjoyable.

Pat Ireland

7. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

BYG I hear what you are saying. Five of us drove down to the Grand in '08 and had pretty much the same experiance. We couldn't even get a good breakfast on site. Needless to say, when '09 rolled around, nobody wanted to go down there again. The Grand should appeal to all trapshooters, not just certain people!

Rodbuster

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Don't you know its a flogging offense to complain about Mecca. Yo will be faithful !!!

Phil Berkowitz

9. John55

John55 Active Member

I would agree that the it doesn't take 2 days to check out all the vendors, but that isn't what the Grand is all about, is it? Sure, I'd love to see more vendors but the ones that are there have about everything covered pretty well.

10. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Ha, ha, ha!

What a scathing analysis. Ouch! Burn! Pwned!

You want to see some cool stuff, Beretta? Head down to the Knob Creek shoot or the Camp Perry matches. You'll find lots of cool must-have stuff.

Beretta's just calling 'em like he sees 'em, and some people here have a lot to learn about shooting and shooting events.

Guys, once you lose the "cool factor," you're always playing off the back foot. Sounds like I need to start loading for highpower matches, again.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

comments deleted.....

If you want to go shopping, have him drive you to Minnesota and you can visit Mall of the America's, the worlds largest shopping mall. Bet you can't see that in a Day!.....

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

If you want to see a really big mall-go to Alberta, Can. they've got a mall that makes the Mall of America look like a garage in comparison. All they nee is an indoor trap range.

Phil Berkowitz

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Non shooters never enjoy a shooting event as much as we shooters do. Odd isn't it?

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

My parents were very poor, I never got to see a Grand or shoot trap as a young guy growing up.

I worked all summer tending masons and working farms to buy clothes and food, gas. It was expensive for me just to save for a cheap bird gun and a few boxes of pheasant loads.

We did not have central AC in the family home (or truck} until I installed it when I was 27 years old (for my parents}, so I know what hot nights are. The car had "460" air, roll down all 4 windows and do 60 mph.

So... you got to enjoy a road trip with Dad in his fine suv, burn a bunch of gas,eat some good food, handle some fine guns, see people spending millions on the luxury sport of clay targets, watch guys compete for a 100K prize.

Fairs and Carnivals have an entry fee, what did you have to pay at the gate?

Travel abroad to some other countries and see how they are living day to day.

Be thankfull of what you have and were born into.

15. high 2

high 2 Member

I`ve never been to a Grand. I hope to make it next year. I have a blast just reading about other peoples experiences there. I know when I do go, I will have a great time. I`ve been to the World Skeet Shoot for the last 16 years straight. And yes the food costs a little more, and the beer isn`t cheap. You have to dive in a shoot to make it all come together. You also get to see old friends and make new ones. Just wish I would have gone when it was in Vandalia. Larry

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Negativity will dominate your life and make you miserable?? I have been to a lot of Grand's and never had a bad time

17. porky

porky TS Member

BYG Thanks for your honest opinion of what you saw and how you felt about your visit. It is too bad that it is so hot there. Ignore the immature remarks of some of these posters because they really have nothing in their life and the majority aren't shooting trap, let alone the registered events in their area. Your comments were well written and actually gave the reader the ability to walk through the visit with you. Thanks again.

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

BYG---The vendors are drying up---At the N.J. state shoot this yr there were only 2 vendors when there were always 8 to 10 in past yrs---The economy is hurting everything---Not many play $$$s around---This sport is in trouble as is many others---I belong to 2 well established clubs and I don't know one shooter that went to the grand---You at least had the chance to visit the grand.I wish I had that chance when I was your age and had a dad to take me.
    Don't give up---We need your age group---We oldies are trying to keep something going---something to leave behind as it was left to us---Don't get upset with some of the replies to your post.You went to visit and shop---Nothing wrong with that---The ATA needs you and your young thoughts---Hang in there---JMT---SJB---

19. JTEA

JTEA Member

BYG, You've received the typical response when criticism is raised - Unless you are one of the "insiders" it will pretty much fall on deaf ears. Add this trip to your overall lessons and enjoy your shooting for your own reasons. I talk to an increasing number of PA shooters who no longer drive 2 1/2 hours to attend the State Shoot, shooters who attend shoots every weekend and some of these shoot 4 and 5 times / week. It's a place for real competition and some enjoy being part of it even when they are not at the top of their game. I enjoy the fact that the targets are set very well at the PA State, there are a few good vendors who let you try guns on the practice trap (has lead to a number of purchases) not crazy about the squading process. Find those shoots that you look forward to and forget the others. Too bad you didn't shoot at least one event, for the memories at least. Also, many of those old guys who see no problem with the heat are on blood thinners and God knows what. When you are young and "drug free" it's a bit different. By the way for you "hot shots" this is what I was doing in July and will be soon repeating.

JT
    [​IMG]

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

BYG: I think you should start attending Flea Markets, then you can spend all day looking at junk. The Grand is for shooting. The Vendors are just gravy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.