1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What a difference .005 makes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmi, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I just shot 200 16's. The first 100 were shot with a LF (.030) Started slow but ran the last 50 for a 95. Most of the targets were puff balls, targets literally disappeared with a puff of dust.
    Shot the second 100 using loads from the same batch( 1 1/8oz.reclaimed shot @ 1200) but switched to a IM (.025), ended up with a 99 but very few puffs, most of the targets instead shattered into many small pieces, very good breaks, but not the "WOW did you see that". Both chokes came with the gun (Kolar) so I'm sure they were what they had stamped on them. I'm really surprised with that little difference.

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with the score, but how the targets broke. I got a much more impressive break with the LF than the IM. I didn't think that little bit would make the patterns or core that much tighter.

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I find the same thing. If I buy a different brand of shell or try a different reload I always try different chokes to see which one works the best and always find one that is better than the others. Some time a open choke and sometime a fuller choke. Sometime the change is dramatic.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

On my TMX, I have a .035 choke and a .040 choke and my Handicap scores are about the same with either. The 40 yard tests at the pattern board show little difference. I use a .028 choke for Singles.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

jbmi, with good chokes, .005" makes a huge apparent and actual difference until you hit .032", then not so much after that. It sounds like you were using 7 1/2 shot. From a good .025" choke you should get smoke from premium factory 7 1/2 shot loads, and almost anyones #8 loads.

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"What a difference .005 makes"

That's one of the reasons chokes are generally sized in .005" increments.

The other possibility is that the two chokes are not putting the core of their patterns in the same places relative to where you were pointing the gun, so the less spectacular breaks were being hit with a less dense part of the shot pattern.

Morgan

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

To MrkSLC, it has been some years since I did that pattern testing on a warm summer day at 4000 ft above sea level using STS Light Handicap factory loads. I got about 80% patterns in a 30 inch circle from both the .035 choke and the .040 choke. I didn't shoot enough patterns from each choke to get a statistical difference but I got the self confidence that my TMX shot the right POI and had enough pattern density that I cannot blame the gun for a mediocre Handicap score. Neil Winston and Dr. A C Jones have run plenty of pattern tests with computer counts of the shot holes and have shown that you need enough patterns to get a mathematical average and I was satisfied with my limited pattern tests.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Every gun, every choke, every load is different. The only way you will know what works best is to pattern every combination. Shooting for smoke tells you nothing.

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

could it be the difference in choke tubes is not so much the constriction but possible the tubes poi are different? just a thought.
    steve balistreri

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

PerazziBigBore, the Nova's is an easy one. The drivers would be most obvious...

24str8, you speak of various articles that prove that a mere few thousandths choke can make a huge difference. Who were the testers? By what method did they prove this? Did they show their tests or just give an overview and expect readers to be believers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.