1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What .45 acp to buy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K-GUNS, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I am looking for a new .45 ACP and I prefer stainless,night sights,full size,very accurate and reliable.

Will be shooting targets ( paper ) and some steel plates. I like the kimber and Colt,Sig Saauer. Can't afford the wilson,or les baer.

Looked at forums and many said Kimber has had reliability problems along with customer service issues. They also said same thing about the Sig.

Some also said the colts are set up to only shoot light loads,wad cutters and such.

I am NOT bashing any brand. I am asking for your input if you own any of those mentioned.Tell me your reason to own or purchase or your own experience.

I want to know what you know before I buy.

Just to add,I do own a springfield XD compact,but again..... I am looking for stainless,full size,accurate , reliable and night sights

Thanks

Crab

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Several good .45s out there; consider Smith & Wesson "E" Enhanced series or Colt. You will get several good recommendations here. Regards, Ed

3. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Don't laugh, but I think you should look at the Taurus PT1911. I bought one on this forum because I thought I should have a 1911 and didn't want to spend much because I was sure I wouldn't like it anyway. I paid under $600 for a very slightly used, stainless with rail. I was shocked when I took it out to the range. This thing has the best trigger of ANY gun I have ever fired and incredibly accurate. One of the magazines said that if you want a 1911 as good as the new Taurus PT1911, you should buy a new Springfield and have about $500.00 worth of custom work done to it. The only downside I've found is that it does not take standard 1911 grips.

Try one before you tell me I'm nuts. You can try mine if you're in the area. I'm putting on my fire suit as I know I'm about to get flamed. All I can say is try it.

Bob

4. wdan99

wdan99 TS Member

crab

I recommend looking at the Springfield Armory loaded stainless target model. Reliable, accurate and looks like a 1911 should look like. No fish scales or snake skin machining!

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

You are not the first guy to speak highly of the Taurus. It's hard for a lot of guys to realize that Taurus is no longer the cheap gun with a bad rep that it once was. They are becoming known for the true value they represent as far as bang for the buck in a pistol. Kimber has destroyed it's once good reputation.Jeff

6. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I just bought a xdm 5.25" 45acp not stainless but full size super reliable and just as accurate as my gold cup for way less money,trigger is it's only downfall.Jerry

7. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

Hey SuperX. Why do you say Kimber has lost it's reputation? Just curious.

8. philk

philk Member

Put a Powder River match trigger , as well as some other parts, in the 5.25 I bought. Helps quite a bit, still not a 1911 custom trigger but what else is. I agree Jerry, think I`m really going to like this gun.

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

10. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Highly recommend looking at STI Spartan or Trojan.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have a Kimber Stainless Gold Match II in .45ACP and it functions flawlessly. Its trigger is crisp and during 10 pull-weight tests, it broke cleanly at four pounds, five ounces nine times; the odd time was an ounce lighter.

My only problem with a Kimber is that their rimfire conversion kits suck. Mine was back four times, twice on my frame and was replaced the last time, but still exhibited a 74% failure rate. The Advantage Arms kit I now have hasn't as much as hiccuped in over 400 rounds.

The Taurus PT1911 is a lot of gun for the money. My son and I each bought a stainless model and both guns had hateful triggers that I had a gunsmith improve. His opinion of a Taurus was like mine used to be - a cheap copy of someone else's design - but he admitted that with the exception of a lot of tool marks inside, it was a lot better than he expected and that Taurus has come a long way.

BUT - and this is a huge BUT - very few parts for a "1911" will fit a Taurus. For instance, my son's gun shoots low and left with all kinds of ammo so we were going to put an adjustable sight on it. Turns out no one makes a sight that will fit into the Taurus dovetail and Taurus does not offer an adjustable sight so if your gun doesn't shoot to the point of aim, there is no easy fix unless you want to try other barrels or remachine the slide's dovetail. We tried other bushings but it still shot quite a bit low and left.

As Bob said above, 1911 grip panels don't fit without some woodworking on the holes and normal ambidextrous safety reliefs aren't deep enough to clear the thicker Taurus part. No rimfire conversion kit will work on one. I could go on but you'll find that many aftermarket part manufacturers state in their listings, "Will not fit a Taurus PT1911." Although I felt that mine was a great value for $600 brand new, I sold it because of that parts compatibility concern.

I didn't mean to knock the PT1911 but don't go into ownership of one thinking you are going to be able to customize it much. If that doesn't matter, they are a decent gun and a great one for the money.

Ed

12. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Wow now we love Taurus and Kimbers are junk. I've really got nothing against someone owning a Taurus but you're not going to see me pulling one out. My first thought is not value when I see one. I'm not one for buying guns from a country that isn't USA or for that matter at least known for war.

I wanted an XD when they came out but not when I saw they are made in Croatia.

Kimbers are a great middle of the road 1911. They would like to be lumped with Les and Wilson but they just aren't that caliber. There customer service is fine. I've even had one remote problem with Kimber customer service. I didn't want to have to send my laser grips to another company to be replaced when they already had my gun at their shop. They did replace them for me, although that is not their policy.

Nick

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

14. Doubles Xpert

Doubles Xpert Member

Springfield Armory TRP it's priced about the same as a Kimber (Which by the way only guarantees their guns for 12 months)Springfield Armory has a lifetime guarantee. Do some reading about what gun The FBI choose for their elite field agents. Pretty interesting... Les Baer, Colt, Kimber,and several others were invited to run trials with their guns, only two manufactures made it through the initial tests. The criteria was sub 2" group at 25 yards using Remington golden bear ammo. Then the guns were fired 20,000 rounds in all kinds of conditions and once again the FBI wanted it to hold a sub 2" group.. Only one gun was up to it.. Springfield Armory. the TRP is Not a custom hand lapped gun like the FBI is buying but it is match fitted and has all of the trick stuff on it, Night sights, Stainless, Great trigger when my life depends on a gun... I want the best.

15. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I shoot an Ed Brown and love it...but a big chunk of money for sure. If I were you; take a hard look at the P220. Weblink provided above.

16. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Get the Prancing Pony!

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The customer service from Kimber is not fine. It's fine as long as you do not need it.
    Nobody is saying a Taurus is a Kimber or that Kimber is junk. Taurus just offers a whole lot of bang for the buck. Kimber does not seem to help two customers in a row the same way. They remind me alot of Browning. One guy thinks they are great and the next is ready to sell all guns with a Browning name.

Srvice work from a gun company is like asking people how they like their insurance company. Most have never had a claim but they will tell you how much they "like the company" Why they like them is beond me as they have never had a claim so how can they like anything? Same as service work from a gun company.

Tell me how well Kimber did for you.

I can show you three guys who have had a nightmare getting pistols fixed properly by them and returned in any kind of a tiemly fashion.

To each his own. If it's a gun that I will carry to defend my life, it will not be a Kimber made in the last 10 years.

I can not see spending the kind of money you spend on a Kimber to get the kind of gun you will get with a Taurus.

Undestand this... I do not now nor have I ever owned a Taurus. The 45's I own are all Kimber. I just wouldn't buy another with the current situation with that company. Jeff

18. Rkoetting

Rkoetting Member

You are probably looking for a 1911 variant, but if you are considering other platforms, the Sig P220 Stainless Elite is a great shooting gun, especially with its SRT (Short Reset Trigger). Bob

19. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I have a "prancing pony" that will soon be 100 years old. Hard to beat. That being said I have a Kimber, 2 Colts, A Remington Rand, a PT24/7 G2 and a PX4 storm in 45 ACP. I have a great liking for the PX4. And I would (and have) trust my life to any of these pistols. I went to the Elmer Keith school of balistics. "Hit them hard with something that hurts". Someone once asked me why I carried a 45. My answer was "because they don't make a 46". Hit them once with the 45. I've seen the results. "Nuff said"....

20. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

If it aint a Pony.., then it's a phony!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ny st 45 acp shooters forums