1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**What 1911 is best**

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 7771, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7771

7771 Active Member

I am looking to buy a 1911 it doesnt have to be fancy or expensive i just want a good sold shooter old, new or used. If anyone can give me any input on what brand is best or if anyone has one they are willing to sell it would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. RENOSTEVE

RENOSTEVE Member

Careful TK you can get bit by the .45 bug! You may want to check with Forbes as you never know what he has in the case. Take care, Steve.

3. 7771

7771 Active Member

Steve i will check with tom one day when im down there i know he is always getting stuff in there. Ive always wanted a good 45.

4. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

Kimber.... One of the best if not the best 1911 you can buy.

5. emm2

emm2 Member

For a production .45 I like Kimber. Very accurate and reliable.

6. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I have a Kimber, a mid 1960's Colt and a cheap Taurus "PT-1911" and I shoot the Taurus the most. I'll never be a good shot with a hand gun and I would rather wear out a cheap on than The Colt or the Kimber.

By the way I shoot the PT-1911 as well as the other two

Jim R

7. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

Kimber. Maybe a better question would be "What 1911 should I not buy?"

8. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You will never regret buying a Colt......as all of the others depreciate. If your going to go the cheap route....buy cheap, as theres no sense in a high priced retro- non-Colt. Are the Colts better??....the used market says they are. If you are only looking at price, then theres a lot to chose from.

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

You generally get what you pay for, except when you buy a Colt. Les Baer makes a premium gun, Kimber is not in the same class.

10. cnsane

cnsane Member

If'n you wants a pretty gun, buy a Kimber. If you want a pretty good gun, buy a Colt and then have it 'smithed for a set of tritium sights and a trigger and feed job.

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

And you can also use the Colt for a baby rattle.

12. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Wilson Combat

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

13. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Kimber is probably the best production .45 on the market, yet in its basic version, the Custom Classic, it is gonna be near $800. You can get a Sprinfield Armory for less and it is a good shooter. For just a BASIC 1911, its hard to bead the Rock Island guns and they are less than $450, but it is a very basic 1911.

Oscar

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Think John Browning would have ever thought his design would end up with a plastic mainspring housing in it?

15. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

My favorite 1911's under $1500 Are the Springfield Range Officer, and the S&W "E" Series 1911's. These guns really accel in the bang for the buck meter. They shoot very well and have the right balance of features.

In the $1500 and up range, Ed Brown hands down.

Honerable mention, I have a Rock Island Match that'll outshoot my RO and it cost a couple of hundred dollars less. The fit and finish is just as good as, if not better than, most of my other 1911's.

Mind you, these are just my views.

ss

16. Garry

Garry Active Member

**What 1911 is best**

Les Baer and Wilson Combat

17. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

What about the new Ruger 1911?

18. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Actually I would avoid Kimber unless you can find a used Series 1 model. The Series 2 guns have an overly complicated safety (Swartz safety) and customer service has deteriorated. Lots of people love them though and they are pretty.

If I was looking for a decent quality 1911, with adjustable sights, that was under $1000 I would go for a Springfield RO (Range Officer) or the new Ruger 1911 which has gotten excellent reviews but is presently hard to find.

You could buy a RIA but they are rough out of the box and not nearly as nice as the two I mentioned. They are inexpensive and they do function.

BTW there is a fellow, user name "eric" selling a nice Kimber at a fair price in the "for sale" section of this forum.

19. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

I've had good luck with my Springfield "Loaded" (similar to the RO except with fixed night sights and an ambidextrous safety)

Bill

20. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

The best is.....like stated earlier.....a Les Baer,or a Wilson Combat.I can't afford them,so I'll just shoot my Kimber Gold Match,and be happy.....very,very happy.But,I don't think that is what this gentelman is asking.......again,as stated before........Springfield Armory can't be beat for the money.Plus,you can slick,and dick a Springfield into a really nice shooting handgun.There again,that also takes money.Ya can't take it with you,now can ya?Buy the best you can afford,and start stockin' up on brass......45s are a addictive,much like trap shooting.Shoot 'em up my friend................

D.P.Reynolds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.