1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"WHAMO" single sht pistol, ever heard of one?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tracer, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tracer

Tracer Member

A friend has a single shot 22 cal. pistol. Said it was made by the one of the owners of the Wham'o toy company that got into gun manufacturing. Anyone ever heard of it? Thanks, Del

2. Snookassassin

Snookassassin Member

Yes Tracer, I have one. I bought it used about 10 or 12 years ago. I fired it a couple of times and put it away. I have seen a couple others but I think they are pretty rare.
    Snookassassin, Clif Adams

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Quite the company. They made 3 firearms, in addition to the Frizbee, Hula Hoop, Superball, and some other things less well known.

They had a pistol that looked like a high Standard, a Pirate PIstol with an antique shape, and a Tommy gun lookalike.

All had the same action. Hard to find nowadays, but I remember the ads in Poupular Mechanics.

HM

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

They also made slingshots back in the 60's.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Quite the company. They made 3 firearms, in addition to the Frizbee, Hula Hoop, Superball, and some other things less well known.

They had a pistol that looked like a high Standard, a Pirate PIstol with an antique shape, and a Tommy gun lookalike.

All had the same action. Hard to find nowadays, but I remember the ads in Poupular Mechanics.

HM

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

They also made slingshots back in the 60's.

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I still have my blowgun and my single shot...I'm not sure if it was a Wam-0 or not but it was a BB firing single shot, looked like a Luger and used paper caps for power. Stung like hell if you got shot in the butt. Stunned sparrows but wasn't as good as my Daisy 25, the most powerful Daisy of the period, force feed magazine and all.

8. Tracer

Tracer Member

Thanks everyone for the info. I went ahead and bought it for $75. Shot it a couple of times and was surprised how accurate it was. I am going to sell it as soon as I find out what it's actual value is. One person thought maybe $150. I know when it sold the price was $18.95. Probably more of a collector then a shooter. Thanks again for all the info. Del

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here ya go.

10. Tracer

Tracer Member

Stokinpls,
    Wow!! is that guy really serious at $375? I know sometimes what you want and what you get is quite differen't. It will be interesting to see what it sells for at the end of the auction. Del

11. Tracer

Tracer Member

Pat,
    Ya, the origional box would have been nice to have, but at least I got the shootin part. My vin number is 001329. I found that there were about 2000 of them made and when the guy died that designed them the company stopped production. He was one of the Whamo owners and when he got into fire arms he split from the origional toy company. He moved to a differen't place in Calif. and changed the name of "his" products to "WAMO", using all caps in the name. That is how it is spelled on this gun. The first company won't admit that it, (being a toy co.) ever was involved in making real firearms. They did make some air pistols I guess though. Del

12. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Be careful on the auction sites, guys. Buy it now price is seldom a bargain. I looked over a Savage single shot handgun for a fellow the other day, new in the box, original price about 19.95 back in the early sixties (western style, of course). Blue Book (which is also a guide)put it at $200. Saw one on one of the auction sites at double that. Kind of kept an eye on it but never saw the bids go over a century note. Bids, and some of them are done by the seller or a shill, are about all you can go by.

There are some bargains to be had on auctions but I think it requires a combination of diligence, research and pure luck.

13. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

Sir(s)

In the September 20th'09 issue 0f "Shotgun News"---there was a great story about "Whamo-s' Guns"-from cartrige loops to Hula Hoops.....

I have a "RocKy Mountain Arms Corpopration' TURRET BREECH .22cal BP rifle(talked about in the article),that used ROLL CAPS for ignition.-----------taught a 5 yo girl to shoot with it---may teach my grandkids to shoot with it:>)

Tom

14. Tracer

Tracer Member

Thanks Tom,
    I grew up in the "50's" and remember a lot of the toys that us kids had. Wish I still had some of them. I will try and find a copy of that shotgun news. A gunsmith friend of mine gets them all and maybe he has that one. Interesting stuff don't you think. Del

15. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

OOPS,make that,SEPTEMBER 20,2008-----------Tom

16. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I had one of those BB pistols that used rolled caps. It was a real kick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun news the guns of whamo