1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Westy Hogan Shoot -- Which Banks?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grnberetcj, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Bill...

Upper Banks in the morning...

Lower Banks in the afternoon...

Curt

2. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Stay away from 1,2,3 & 4. All the "hot dogs" shoot there and the target setters mess with the birds. 5 & 6 stink (background). The morning sun is in your eyes on 9, 10, 11 & 12. So that leaves 7 & 8, but I'm never able to shoot good on those banks. I would watch the target setters and shoot where they shoot.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have a strong preference for the top bank. Much better backgrounds, except for 6. IMO the targets on the top bank are set more consistently. For some reason I cannot explain, the lower banks are less consistent, with low and normal targets predominating.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you like to win the Handicap events shoot the lower banks late afternoon. Best visibility-least wind!!

5. zinger

zinger Member

EB, care to elaborate?..."messing with the birds" by the target setters is quite a bold statement? If targets are set by speed and height, how exactly can you "mess with the birds"?

6. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

If you are coming up on Friday the upper banks are the only ones used. The remaining days all banks are in use.

I've shot on both upper and lower banks extensively and the advantage comes from the wind direction, which is not predictable. I don't think it makes a whit of difference which banks you use. If you are on you are on. I've done great on the upper banks and I've stunk on the upper banks. Same for the lower.

I will agree that 5 and 6 are tough because of the background.

7. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Hey KB, I call what the setters do "messing with the birds" . I think overall they do a good job with worn out traps. After 36 years of shooting there I have noticed that all traps are not equal and I'll always believe that you will get better birds if you shoot where the trap setters shoot. If this is not the case, why do all the "big guns" shoot only on 4 or 5 banks out of 12 total banks? Until the PSSA has a fair way of assigning banks following the setters is the best way to get good targets.

E Bornman

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

KB, I've seen targets with the centers knocked out come out of the house at Elysburg (more than once). Then again, I saw one at the Grand this year.

9. zinger

zinger Member

EB, I still don't understand about the messing with the birds? Since ALL of the trap setters are shooters, then it wouldn't matter what bank you shot on. How about volunteering to help out with the target setting, they always need good help? Recurvy, that is a problem that needs to be addressed to Marion, she's incharge of the setters/markers. Kim Bateman

10. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I did volunteer two times. My services were not wanted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.