1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Westy Hogan--Elysburg, PA Pics

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wdr-NY, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

The 103rd Westy Hogan Tournament started today--100 singles and 100 caps. The weather was absolutely horrific... Driving rain and wind all day, temps in the upper 50's and lower 60's, plenty of holes in the squads, short trap help, etc etc... Really, just miserable conditions. Things were so bad, the tournament directors shut down banks 5 and 6 and just ran with 1-4 and 7,8. At my last count, there were only 3 100 straights in the singles event and 96 (3) was high in the caps--best guess is that we had 300 shooters today. With all that, things still went pretty smooth--the folks at Elysburg simply know how to put on a shoot.

I snapped some pics, of course. I'm covering the shoot for Trapshooting USA, the article will be in December's issue.

All the best,

Walker

All American, Brad Heath during the Caps--he broke a 94 and was leading the 26-27 yardage group when I left.
    [​IMG]

PA Trapshooter of the Year, Dylan Darhower
    [​IMG]

Lady All American Captain, Debbie Ohye Nielson
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Junior, All American Cody Davis
    [​IMG]

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Walker thanks for the pics. I'm 99.9% sure my buddy Rick Demerle is in the event 1 shootoffs for A class. Are they complete and do you know who won? I looked at the front porch camera and it looked like a hurricane with the wind and rain. A picture of Ricks ugly mug would be nice but may break your camera.

--- Chip King ---

3. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Chip,
    The singles ties are carrying over to tomorrow's singles championship.

All the best,

Walker

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Thanks Walker

--- Chip King ---

5. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Nice pics, Walker, thanks alot...wanted to be there, but my mother-in-law is very ill. Stay dry! puablo

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Cody needs a manicure.

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I love the pic of the gun rack with some high rent trapguns with custom fit electrical tape option!!

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

"Cody needs a manicure."

He also shoots a VERY short stock! Good thing that's not a rifle - he'd have "magnum eyebrow" for sure.

Ed

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Boy, Cody really is a "stock crawler". The tip of his thumb is UNDER his cheek!

Well, don't agrus with success.

10. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Cody can shoot--pure and simple. What works, works--I guess. Well... its still drizzling this morning. Dave and I are on squad 102--bank 2. The temperature is in the low 60's, no wind... but it looks like its going to drizzle all day.

The local football games were cancelled lastnight--rescheduled for today. And as a result, the PSSA is short trap help again today. So banks 11 and 12 have been shut down and there's no practice trap for a second day. With all this, the folks are still running a good shoot.

I'll have pics to post later on today.

All the best,

Walker

11. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

The weather was an improvement from yesterday, but it was still less than ideal. The targets were great, but with the intermittent rain and wind, the 15+ folks who ran the front 100 had trouble holding on... Only Ray Lee and Steve Huber ran the 200 singles--quite amazing considering the level of talent in the field of 589 shooters that participated.

Ray Lee (right) took the singles championship over Steve Huber (left) 25-24...
    [​IMG]

Kim Bateman dropped the first bird out of the house and then ran the next 199 to take the Ladies Trophy... (this is a shot I took of Kim at the Cardinal Classic last month)...
    [​IMG]

Kevin Hartlaub ran the first 175 birds and dropped two on his last trap, when the worst wind and rain of the day picked up--a storm that lasted all of five minutes... Kevin was crushing the birds--and just got unlucky...
    [​IMG]

Chris Landon broke 199 and then took his first AAA Championship after going 150 straight in the shoot-off (including 25 straight with the trap turned up and in the 4 hole) to edge out 9 other AAA shooters--including All-Americans Brad Heath, Bob Malmstedt and Dave Shaeffer Jr. Chris is probably the best all-around shooter who is not an All-American in all of the northeast... Left to right, AAA Champion Chris Landon, AAA Runner-up Bob Malmstedt and AAA 3rd Skip Klinger...
    [​IMG]

All in all, a great day... here are a couple more pics...

Me and Dave Shaeffer during the first 100--I get picked on for wearing my umbrella hat... but if its good enough for the Clay Target Champion, its good enough for me...
    [​IMG]

Steve Huber during the Singles Championship shootoff...
    [​IMG]

Skip Klinger congratulating Chris Landon on AAA Championship win...
    [​IMG]

This is a shot I took from on top of one of the pavilions during the second 100--this is from in front of bank 2 looking back towards bank 3-6...
    [​IMG]

Sunset from the parking lot... after the shoot offs...
    [​IMG]

I'm off to bed... more tomorrow...

All the best,

Walker

12. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Walker, what a nice shot to end on with the beautiful sunset. Thanks, man...Great job! puablo

13. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

That young fellow Cody sure can shoot, and best of all he is an extreemly nice young man. "Mum" Genevieve can be real proud of that boy, and herself for the fine job she has done with him. Those two are always a pleasure to be around..

Dave in SC

14. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Well... the weather today was simply gorgeous--and it made up for the poor weather we dealt with on Friday and Saturday. Around 90 squads for the doubles Championship and another 131 for the Handicap Championship. Kay Ohye won the doubles with a 98 and Junior Justin Slater from Upstate NY (absolutely one of the nicest kids you could ever meet) took home the Handicap title with a 98--Kay Ohye broke 98 as well but chose to take Veteran Champ... He swept both HAA and HOA as well.

My step-mom, Jody Kovacs (Ostrander) won the Ladies Championship Trophy in the Handicap with a 95 (she and I shot 1,2 on squad 80) and yours truly took home runner up honors in the 19-21 yd category with a 95... Kay Ohye was the only one to break the middle 50 and I was the only one to break the last 50... :)

My full coverage will be in December's issue of Trapshooting USA.

All the best,

Walker

This is a shot of the Doubles Championship this morning--I took this from the catwalk by the White Flyer board look back towards bank 6...

[​IMG]

Adam K during the doubles this AM...

[​IMG]

Urb Womer shooting bank three during the doubles this AM...

[​IMG]

Jack Aldridge...

[​IMG]

Susie driving the tractor...

[​IMG]

Dave Shaeffer Jr working with Steph Sandler on the Practice Trap before the Caps...

[​IMG]

Debbie Ohye Nielson and Kay Ohye this morning before the doubles...

[​IMG]

This is a shot from the practice traps looking back towards bank 12-9... right before the handicap event today...

[​IMG]

Rick Demerle on the practice trap this morning...

[​IMG]

Steph Sandler, Gerry Ostrander and Chris Vendel during the Handicap today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brian Shyda shooting off for Doubles Class...

[​IMG]

A shot of the clubhouse and the flags from the upper campsites...

[​IMG]

Another Westy Hogan's is in the books...

Walker

15. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

In round numbers Mr. K O won $4000 today.

I won $23.50

16. zinger

zinger Member

okay Walker, I don't need to see that picture anymore..lol Couldn't you use some photoshop magic and at least take 30 or 40lbs off me? Have a nice winter and thanks for all the coverage...literally!!

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Kim, it's fall now. You need browns, greens, oranges. You should paint your gun to match the season...LOL!

18. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Great coverage of another Westy Hogans Tournament. Too bad that you didn't get some shots of all of the industry reps that were supposed to be there to pass on information about powder, primers, wads and ammo. I didn't see any and really missed them. I thought that this shoot was supposed to be run by them for that purpose but instead it was just another shoot.

Ed Yanchok

19. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Ed,
    You bring up a good point. Dave Shaeffer, JP Manetta and I were discussing the same thing on Saturday afternoon. I don't know if it was the weather or what, but the industry reps were noticeably absent.

I did get to spend some time in the Seitz trailer with Richie Phillips and Chris Vendel--Chris put one of his small beads on my gun and I absolutely love it. Richie lent me his rain pants and they came in handy Saturday during the Singles Championship. Thank-you Richie... and I will get them back to you in short order!

All the best,

Walker

20. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Under the circumstances, I think that the industry reps could have set up some tables out on the porch, under the awning, to promote their wares, but wait, there seems to be a shortage of name brand primers and powder. Maybe thats why they weren't there.

Ed Yanchok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

thays ricks vendel

2015 westy hogan elysburg pa

elysburg pa shotgun fitting

wesley hogam ata shoot elysburg pa

westy hogans tournament